BANGKOK
Gypsyjoe

New Visa-O rules on Health Insurance

5 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Yes of course. I don't have a crystal ball but there's little reason to suppose they won't bring O into line with OA. None at all, especially when they wake up and see that their shiny new insurance scam, sorry plan, is being avoided by the simple expediency of visa change. Unless they truly intended it to apply only to new applicants for visas from outside Thailand, which has been suggested. In the meantime OA holders must live with the current mess, cancelling perfectly good insurance plans that don't comply, and spending many thousands on new ones. Shoddy, indeed. 

Whatever you do, I would strongly advise you NOT to cancel your present health-insurance if that policy suits your needs,  There are several options to escape the expensive and basically worthless thai-approved insurance.  The main one being to switch to an O type retirement-extension (which involves a border-run and application for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa).

Attached a link to my post #93 in a different thread in which I outlined the reasons why I don't think thai authorities will also require health-insurance for Non Imm O - retirement Visas anytime soon (and even less likely for Non Imm O - marriage type Visas).  And if they do it will not be done in the incommunicado bulldozer way they mishandled the present debacle.

48 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Whatever you do, I would strongly advise you NOT to cancel your present health-insurance if that policy suits your needs,  There are several options to escape the expensive and basically worthless thai-approved insurance.  The main one being to switch to an O type retirement-extension (which involves a border-run and application for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa).

Attached a link to my post #93 in a different thread in which I outlined the reasons why I don't think thai authorities will also require health-insurance for Non Imm O - retirement Visas anytime soon (and even less likely for Non Imm O - marriage type Visas).  And if they do it will not be done in the incommunicado bulldozer way they mishandled the present debacle.

Thanks, it's kind of you to provide this clarification. I find that I'm lucky enough that although I have an international policy where the insurer is not on the approved list, a local insurer is their Thai representative and both names are on the policy. But I worry for others who may not be so lucky. Cross fingers that the O visa will remain a viable option, as you suggest. 

• Like 1

My reason for believing the Ins requirement won't effect "O" visa in the future is because if they were to do this their would be little incentive to keep 800K in Thai bank. I got my "OA" in Sept - 19, plan on going the "O" route next time.

As I visit the US every year and Ins may be required for O in the future why would I continue to keep $$ in Thai Bank.

One theory among many...…...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Speedhump said:

I don't have a crystal ball but there's little reason to suppose they won't bring O into line with OA.

I do. A Non-Imm-O gets you stamped in for 90 days, an O-A for 365 days. It would not make sense to require a one year policy for a 90 day entry. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I do. A Non-Imm-O gets you stamped in for 90 days, an O-A for 365 days. It would not make sense to require a one year policy for a 90 day entry. 

I don’t understand the crystal ball talk. You just have to weigh the effort and expense of switching to an O against the future possibility that the insurance requirement will extend to other visas. Even if you believe it will extend to O visas why would switching to an O now still not be a good choice? There is no announcement now. The nearest change would be 2-3 years in the future. If your insurance problem/issue is now then you have to make a decision now.

I guess I am also suggesting that the effort to switch is not that great give the importance in terms of getting an extension of stay.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I don’t understand the crystal ball talk. You just have to weigh the effort and expense of switching to an O against the future possibility that the insurance requirement will extend to other visas. Even if you believe it will extend to O visas why would switching to an O now still not be a good choice? There is no announcement now. The nearest change would be 2-3 years in the future. If your insurance problem/issue is now then you have to make a decision now.

I guess I am also suggesting that the effort to switch is not that great give the importance in terms of getting an extension of stay.

If you actually want decent insurance cover then the higher expense is on the OA side. The cost of cover from one of the int'l insurance companies on the approved list is tens of thousands of Bht more than I pay now, and I have 3 million cover. The hassle of renewing an O visa is a consideration though.