Air Travel Into Khon Kaen

Sam Drucker

I've been perplexed recently with the air travel situation in and out of Khon Kaen. It is a monopoly market served only by THAI Airways, which has raised their price to over 2,800 baht one way now.

In and out of Udon Thani, (a supposedly smaller market, but maybe there's room to debate that another time) there are three carriers serving that market, including THAI and the Low Cost Carriers (LCC's) Nok and 1-2-Go.

Thai Air Asia did serve Khon Kaen a few years ago, but pulled out. 1-2-Go had a press release on their website last year saying they were entering Khon Kaen in July, but by the time I arrived back in KKC in late October, they were gone (if they ever did actually start service here.)

Now I've just read an article about the success of reopening the old Don Muang (without an "e"!) airport in the Bangkok Post on March 30th:

Travelers flock back to Don Mueang

The article is somewhat silly, as it seems to imply that the air travel market has suddenly expanded because of Don Muang. My feeling is that even if you didn't like Suvarnabhumi, if you need to go somewhere, you're gonna go, no matter which airport you need to use. (What will they do next? Quote somebody who says his arthritis feels better going through Don Muang??)

In the article however, it does quote the various LCCs as saying they wish to expand service, and 1-2-Go lists four destinations, including Khon Kaen (KKC).

Does anybody know the recent history of air service in Khon Kaen? Why did Thai Air Asia pull out? Did 1-2-Go really get started last year, and quickly pull out, or did they abort before ever getting started? Why does Udon Thani seem more attractive, and has three carriers?

I have to believe that in the case of THAI Airways, with the high price they are now charging, and no option anymore of connecting service to international flights, something will have to change once a LCC gets into KKC.