Switch from Aetna health insurance to Pacific Cross?

genobkk

I have had Eatna for many years but the cost is very high.  I am on the 2 million THB at 52 I am paying about 4,300 per month.  With the bad exchange rates I feel like saving a few thousand per month and going more basic, at least for now.  How is Pacific Cross?  Honestly I have no iss with Aetna they have been good in the more then 15 years I have used them.  It is about cost.   Any suggestions @?

Edited by genobkk

Pc seems to be ok.

But make sure if you have any pre existing conditions that happened while u were insured with aetna that those will be excluded when you switch. If you are totally healthy i don't see any issues with switching, if you don't need a thai insurance for your visa there's tons of other good ones outside of Thailand too tho.

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Pc seems to be ok.

But make sure if you have any pre existing conditions that happened while u were insured with aetna that those will be excluded when you switch. If you are totally healthy i don't see any issues with switching, if you don't need a thai insurance for your visa there's tons of other good ones outside of Thailand too tho.

I spent hours considering Pacific Cross, right now with April. 

Some negatives about it, premium can go up based on your individual claim 

very strict on BMI and load on it

may require some tests
if claim denied not much you can do, nowhere to complain

positives 

give no claim bonus

locally based 
cheaper in price 

includes outpatient 

decided to stay with April 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, BestB said:

I spent hours considering Pacific Cross, right now with April. 

Some negatives about it, premium can go up based on your individual claim 

very strict on BMI and load on it

may require some tests
if claim denied not much you can do, nowhere to complain

positives 

give no claim bonus

locally based 
cheaper in price 

includes outpatient 

decided to stay with April 

I don’t know anything about April.   The idea of premiums increasing if I use it is not good. I have not switched yet but I must decide in a few days.  My Aetna has gone up again about 1,200 per year. Now it is 52,800 for one year. I am 52. I may see if they have a lower policy but Pacific Cross can be had for very cheap if no outpatient and get 40K dedication.    

you said "I am on the 2 Mio." Do you mean your max. insurance coverage is 2 Mio. Baht? That would be not enough, in my opinion. If you happen to choose a good hospital or in an emergency or on a specific accident or illness, you need a much higher coverage. Therefore, I strongly advise you to choose an international insurance coverage which covers at least 0.5 Mio. USD.

When you have a minor accident or illness, you could actually cover it by yourself, right? When there is something really costly, then you want the insurance stepping in, and then you appreciate to have the possibility of a good hospital and doctor. Take for example Pacific Prime or April, they are not much more expensive then a thai insurance, when you only take inpatient. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:43 PM, henry2109 said:

you said "I am on the 2 Mio." Do you mean your max. insurance coverage is 2 Mio. Baht? That would be not enough, in my opinion. If you happen to choose a good hospital or in an emergency or on a specific accident or illness, you need a much higher coverage. Therefore, I strongly advise you to choose an international insurance coverage which covers at least 0.5 Mio. USD.

When you have a minor accident or illness, you could actually cover it by yourself, right? When there is something really costly, then you want the insurance stepping in, and then you appreciate to have the possibility of a good hospital and doctor. Take for example Pacific Prime or April, they are not much more expensive then a thai insurance, when you only take inpatient. Just my 2 cents.

2 million THB is plenty  why are you trying to convert to USD?  We are in Thailand 

Edited by genobkk
Typo

11 minutes ago, genobkk said:

2 million THB is plenty  why are you trying to convert to USD?  We are in Thailand 

Plenty? It's like a small cut on your leg. You go and break 2 legs and for 2million then will patch you up, but your leg will be bent for life. Pay 2m more and they will make it straight lol

2 hours ago, genobkk said:

A friend of mine got diagnosed with black skin cancer. His insurance covers up to 5 mio. Baht per case.

After a little back and forth with the insurance company, he finally got the approval for the newest treatment, which is one injection every month, done in Bumrungrad in Bangkok. After meanwhile almost 1 year, the 5 mio. Baht is spent already, so the ongoing costs are on him. The cancer treatment is mostly over by now, and if he is lucky and he is healed, it will less than a million baht on him.

The medical treatments are evolving quickly, but to profit from the newest achievements can be very costly. So 2 mio. baht leads to nowhere.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, henry2109 said:

A friend of mine got diagnosed with black skin cancer. His insurance covers up to 5 mio. Baht per case.

After a little back and forth with the insurance company, he finally got the approval for the newest treatment, which is one injection every month, done in Bumrungrad in Bangkok. After meanwhile almost 1 year, the 5 mio. Baht is spent already, so the ongoing costs are on him. The cancer treatment is mostly over by now, and if he is lucky and he is healed, it will less than a million baht on him.

The medical treatments are evolving quickly, but to profit from the newest achievements can be very costly. So 2 mio. baht leads to nowhere.

I was told my Aetna never covered cancer, etc. has this changed? Was I misinformed?  Yes of course for that type of illness even 5 million can be eaten up but I thought most limited treatments or did not cover at all for cancer, etc.   it looks like I will try Pacific Cross unless Aetna can offer something comparable when I go talk to them tomorrow.   I used Aetna one for Colin text, and a few days in the hospital, plus an out patient accident once.  I never had any issues with making a claim, it is price that makes me want to switch.  Let’s hope if I switch I Don’t feel sorry later.  I was asking about how god or bad Pacific Cross is, I did not ask for a debate on the amount of cover is required.  The more the better certainly and Pacific Cross has good price points if you exclude OPD and add co payment.  My concern is if the payout easily, many exclusions, etc.