Police picking only on farangs

sitanonchai

Last week a friend of mine driving a motorcycle was twice fined in Pattaya.

Firs time was correct because he drove into a soi which was one way.

The second time he was fined at night at a red light in South Pattaya second road where app. 40 motorcycles where waiting for the red light.

There where only 2 farangs at that time, the rest where Thais with several not wearing helmets, no lights and more then 2 people on a motorcycle.

From both farangs the keys where taken and both had to go to the police office to pay the fine.

He asked the police officer right away why he was fined and showed his valid int. driver license incl.  motor stamp, tax was paid and the motorcycle was 100 % ok.

The police officer didn't respond to his question and at the police office there was only an older officer on duty with no English skills.

This friend is a regular visitor (once a year) and is now <deleted> off and won't visit again due to discrimination of farangs by the Thai police

Another good job from the Pattaya Police.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Never let them take your keys. Easy enough to find someone to translate a ticket. I did. Your friend should polish up those social skills.

They are frigthening if you are new here especially if they threat you with jail while you are on your holiday...

Really can't blame anyone to give in to those bullies.

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

//  the odds of falling prey to this scam.

Which scam?? It's just a checkpoint! If you have the required documents, it's just a 1 minute stop, then you get a "thank you" and you are back on your way.

I bet there is more in the story that was is posted in the OP. And don't tell me that he found nobody to translate his ticket at the Pattaya Police Station ! :whistling:

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Which scam?? It's just a checkpoint! If you have the required documents, it's just a 1 minute stop, then you get a "thank you" and you are back on your way.

I bet there is more in the story that was is posted in the OP. And don't tell me that he found nobody to translate his ticket at the Pattaya Police Station ! :whistling:

The Red Mist seems to have got you before the edit window had closed ????

29 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They are frigthening if you are new here especially if they threat you with jail while you are on your holiday...

When has anyone ever been threatened with jail for having no International licence or having a wheel over the line at the lights??

Just take your key out of the keyhole if they approach you. Don't give them your keys nor allow them to take them. No discussion, other than a polite no. 

They can use your licence for any tickets details and then they have to hand it back to you.

That's it. 

21 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I agree, story is riddled with holes.

Any who, hope the door dont smack old matey's bottom when he leaves.... lol at regular visitor, comes once a year!!

39 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

It's like I told nothing more to the story.

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And how many locals drive without insurance?

well like my mom alwys said, just because everyone else is jumping off the bridge, doesnt mean you have to do it to.

She also told me to always wear clean underwear when going out. Thats important.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Never let them take your keys. Easy enough to find someone to translate a ticket. I did. Your friend should polish up those social skills.

If you have smartphone and internet access mobile or WIFI , use google lens , and if you installed Thai to English choice , let google lens scan or /and, make picture , immediate translation follows ….amazing handy

14 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

nobody at police station spoke English.

In this day and age that is a complete joke. But then they won't pay 40k for a proper teacher, they'll pay 15k for someone from Africa or the Philippines. Incredibly short-sighted.

Go to a police station in Malaysia and they'll speak back to you in fluent English.

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

If you have smartphone and internet access mobile or WIFI , use google lens , and if you installed Thai to English choice , let google lens scan or /and, make picture , immediate translation follows ….amazing handy

I did not know it existed, I download it and find it very handy also.

Thank you David !!

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I did not know it existed, I download it and find it very handy also.

Thank you David !!

If you have no internet scan anyway , and when home or under wifi  you can still use google lens to read the picture  and translation follows .I also found out by co incidence .

I used it to finally understand the Thai papers putting in lobby or elevator from condo management 

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:
18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

nobody at police station spoke English.

In this day and age that is a complete joke.

It's not a joke, just a big lie. :sleep:

Pattaya Police Station is not a place I often visit, but from all articles in the medias it's obvious that they have people who speak foreign languages. They everyday have to manage help requests or complaints from foreign visitors. They at least have people able to understand and speak English, Russian and Chinese.

My last visit there was last year, to register a drone, and both the persons at the reception and the officer doing the registration spoke good English. :cool:

In case that you are having a Thai driving license the police will not be allowed to take your dl and never was allowed to take your key. ...by law
The facts are different. So just bite the bullet.
Observe the police checkpoint on Naklua road, opposite of the school. Farangs will be stopped by the reason that the rear food rests aren't folded in and will be fined. (that is not obligated in Thailand ...by law again). Then school is out. Police will stop the traffic for letting the kids out. No helmets, 5 on a single bike, the oldest one maybe a 12yo. Don't ask about their driving licenses ????

I'm relaxed.

4 hours ago, BestB said:

So he gets fined 500 baht twice in the mean time most likely broken at least a dozen road rules and got away with it but now that is it, he will not visit again????????

If hes on a motorcycle he's not drinking . But I query the use of motorcycles by visitors. There's plenty of cheap transport. And the fact remains, even if the other Thai motorcyclists had been fined, how would it have benefited him? There are loads of injustices that Thais experience that foreigners to not. Moaners should remember Thailand has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world  especially the poor and especially women.

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

It's not a joke, just a big lie. :sleep:

Pattaya Police Station is not a place I often visit, but from all articles in the medias it's obvious that they have people who speak foreign languages. They everyday have to manage help requests or complaints from foreign visitors. They at least have people able to understand and speak English, Russian and Chinese.

My last visit there was last year, to register a drone, and both the persons at the reception and the officer doing the registration spoke good English. :cool:

When I went they had a police volunteer, a young man, who spoke perfect Engish and I think German too. It was a daytime visit.

6 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

How can they treat you with jail, IF you don't understand them?

"The police officer didn't respond to his question and at the police office there was only an older officer on duty with no English skills."

I am sure there is more to the story...

1 hour ago, kdrayong said:

In case that you are having a Thai driving license the police will not be allowed to take your dl and never was allowed to take your key. ...by law

When did that start?  I know dozens of foreigners (myself included) who had to retrieve their Thai DL by paying a fine at the cops shop.

Archived