Police picking only on farangs

sitanonchai

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

well like my mom alwys said, just because everyone else is jumping off the bridge, doesnt mean you have to do it to.

She also told me to always wear clean underwear when going out. Thats important.

If you go "commando" you don't have to worry about soiled underwear. Plus, you get a nice breeze blowing thru while on the motorcycle. Feels good.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another claim that doesn't qualify.

I have gotten a couple of deserved tickets at the police station it is 90 percent Thais and lots of taxi drivers paying fines.

And, the hypocrisy of some.  Always touting for the cops to enforce the law.  Yet when they are caught the cops are bad and picking on them. 

Shame.

33 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Selective enforcement by Police happens many times even in front of the police station on Beach Road. Thais without a helmet ride by but every foreigner without a helmet gets caught. Also 3 Thais on bike ride by, no action by the police.

Is 3 on a motor bike illegal ?? I think not, as long as driver has helmet.

It's just that many Thais have a somewhat unique perspective of the world. They see absolutely nothing wrong with discrimination against foreigners. We must remember that to a shocking number of Thais, foreigners are truly seen and perceived as being something closer to animals than humans -- a subspecies. LOL

4 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

It's just that many Thais have a somewhat unique perspective of the world. They see absolutely nothing wrong with discrimination against foreigners. We must remember that to a shocking number of Thais, foreigners are truly seen and perceived as being something closer to animals than humans -- a subspecies. LOL

I myself have similar feelings about my fellow human beings.

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Which scam?? It's just a checkpoint! If you have the required documents, it's just a 1 minute stop, then you get a "thank you" and you are back on your way.

I bet there is more in the story that was is posted in the OP. And don't tell me that he found nobody to translate his ticket at the Pattaya Police Station ! :whistling:

It's nationalism, racism, financial and sexual jealousy, an inability to read the language and being the hated falang. It's encouraged in the Land of Smiles yet outlawed in our Western society.

I remember some graffiti on South Pattaya Rd. My chum's lady friend translated it. It basically said 'f..k off falang' or words to that effect. This was about 5 years ago.

Oh and he's put himself on offer by driving a vehicle.

Silly boy.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

When did that start?  I know dozens of foreigners (myself included) who had to retrieve their Thai DL by paying a fine at the cops shop.

Just about a year ago I believe... If you live here and have a Thai licence, there is an App whereby you can show your licence on the phone and it is supposed to be accepted by the police. If you can get it to work let me know because I couldn't. 

Hard to say no to some officious squirt with a gun, but it is about time the boundaries were more clear, tourists are abused here. 

1 minute ago, secondfusilier said:

The app will not work on the older licenses, it only works on the newer licenses, which have a QR code on the back.

If you do not have the QR code, you will have to wait until you renew your license to be able to use this app.

I'm in the same boat as well. ????

1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, but I do have licences with a QR code and relatively new. Just the language barrier (despite help from my Mrs), and likely my lack of patience with poorly prepared technical wizardry. 

1 hour ago, secondfusilier said:

The app will not work on the older licenses, it only works on the newer licenses, which have a QR code on the back.

If you do not have the QR code, you will have to wait until you renew your license to be able to use this app.

I'm in the same boat as well. ????

1.jpg

Also you need Thai version of Google playstore, I'm still UK so app isn't downloadable

7 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

They always require the key to stop you driving away.

I have been stopped at countless checkpoints in last 10 years, and never ever did a policeman take my key ! :cool:

I suppose its only happening when they stop you for an infraction. So once again, respect the rules and you will have nothing to complain about :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I have been stopped at countless checkpoints in last 10 years, and never ever did a policeman take my key ! :cool:

I suppose its only happening when they stop you for an infraction. So once again, respect the rules and you will have nothing to complain about :thumbsup:

I've seen them take the keys on beach road at the entrance of walking st. I think they can take your keys but not licence

24 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Usually they take the licence off you , and at least you can ride off to Soi 9 to pay up. But a recent order says they cannot take the licence any more... so I guess here is their idea of an alternative. 

It's just the time of the year, so many farang tourists around driving motorbikes without a helmet or proper licence that they see it as being like shooting fish in a barrel. Why go to all the bother of arguing with a Thai when you can just give a tourist a ticket, even if the farang's legit. People living here would tend to argue with the cop, but tourists only want to have a good time, understandably, so are much more likely to just pay up.

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Another claim that doesn't qualify.

I have gotten a couple of deserved tickets at the police station it is 90 percent Thais and lots of taxi drivers paying fines.

And, the hypocrisy of some.  Always touting for the cops to enforce the law.  Yet when they are caught the cops are bad and picking on them. 

Shame.

Excellent!

20 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Which scam?? It's just a checkpoint! If you have the required documents, it's just a 1 minute stop, then you get a "thank you" and you are back on your way.

I bet there is more in the story that was is posted in the OP. And don't tell me that he found nobody to translate his ticket at the Pattaya Police Station ! :whistling:

I get an apology as well every now and then 

21 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Never let them take your keys. Easy enough to find someone to translate a ticket. I did. Your friend should polish up those social skills.

...first thing you do when stopped..turn off engine, lock the ignition and put keys in your pocket.

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Thais don't?

There are Thais without license too. But I also would check the tourists first because it is more likely that they don't have one. Sometimes I watch the police at the checkpoint here in Pattaya on the Beach Road in front of the police station. VERY MANY tourists have to leave their motorbikes there. Of course they should not have been able to rent the motorbike at all. The people renting them out have to check if they have a valid license. No idea if anything happens to THEM. 

Archived