Transferring from international to domestic flight with duty free liquids in my carry bag.

merijn

I have a question regarding taking duty free liquids from my international to the domestic flight.

BA does not have a transfer agreement in BKK so I can’t use the transfer immigration and security.

Therefore, I will clear immigration and customs in BKK after the international flight and proceed to the departure floor to get my domestic flight to Phuket.

I will have duty free liquids ( 1 litre bottle of whiskey) in the temper proof bag in my carry on.

Does anybody know if this a problem and if I can take my duty-free liquids through the domestic security for my domestic flight?

I did this many years ago without any problem, but I don’t if that is this the case.

Also is this a problem if my domestic flight is a day later and I leave the duty free in the temper proof bag?

Nope, you'll have to put it in your checked baggage. I had the same thing last month. Flew into BKK with sealed duty-free whiskey for an onward flight to CEI. Had to go back and check in my hand baggage having got rejected at security. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Nope, you'll have to put it in your checked baggage. I had the same thing last month. Flew into BKK with sealed duty-free whiskey for an onward flight to CEI. Had to go back and check in my hand baggage having got rejected at security. 

Thanks for the information so it's looks like it then that they changed the procedure as i was able to do it a long time ago.

As i travel without checked luggage it's not a option unfortunately.

On 12/17/2019 at 1:51 PM, merijn said:

Thanks for the information so it's looks like it then that they changed the procedure as i was able to do it a long time ago.

As i travel without checked luggage it's not a option unfortunately.

Just check your carryon 

40 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

One nice thing about checking a bag is that they can’t leave without you or they have to pull you bag..,

One of the main reasons why i don't like to check a bag is that i have to wait for my bag when arriving at the destination and the risk of damaging or loosing my bag.

19 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

I brought duty free on international flight to Bangkok airport. Went to Pattaya. A few days later flew from Utapao airport to Phuket with Air Asia. Two litres of spirits still  in sealed plastic bags. No checked in luggage. Had no problem with carry on. 

Thanks for that, That was my experience also albeit from Suvarnabhumi and a few years ago.

As long it is on the original sealed duty free bag with the receipt visible it was not a problem.

But now we see that it is not possible anymore.

I really don't like to check in my handbag for all obvious reasons.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, merijn said:

Thanks for that, That was my experience also albeit from Suvarnabhumi and a few years ago.

As long it is on the original sealed duty free bag with the receipt visible it was not a problem.

For a domestic flight there is no tax issue, only the no liquids rules...

On 12/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, merijn said:

Just a update as i returned yesterday.

It's even more confusing as even the staff at the airport doesn't know what is allowed or not.

I arrived from the UK (direct flight) at Suvarnabhumi with only hand luggage.

I had a bottle of whiskey in my carry-on which i bought at Heathrow which was in the special sealed duty free bag with the receipt visible as required.

As BA doesn't has a agreement with Thai i had to do immigration and customs at Suvarnabhumi which is fine for me.

As i had enough time i asked the check-in desk (Thai Business Class) if i could take my carry-on with my on my flight to Phuket.

The check-in girl informed me that i was not able to take the duty free with my and i had to check-in the bag to Phuket.

As my bag is not really suitable to be used as check-in i was not really happy with this but off course complied.

At the security point which is now at the new location which means that all passengers are using the same security (origination from Bangkok and all transit passengers) i asked the security staff there if it is allowed to have duty free liquid.

They informed that this was not a problem and allowed as long the duty free liquid is in a approved tamper proof bag with the receipt visible.

This would make sense to me as also the transit passengers are using this security point and if it would not be allowed those passengers can't use the transit route option in case they have any duty free liquid.

So the check-in girl says that it's not allowed and the staff manning the security point says that it is allowed ??????

Maybe next time i will try it with some cheap duty free liquid to see what happens ????

On 12/28/2019 at 11:01 PM, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

For a domestic flight there is no tax issue, only the no liquids rules...

We talk about duty free bought liquids and not about the tax itself ????

On 12/31/2019 at 12:36 AM, merijn said:

Just a update as i returned yesterday.

It's even more confusing as even the staff at the airport doesn't know what is allowed or not.

I arrived from the UK (direct flight) at Suvarnabhumi with only hand luggage.

I had a bottle of whiskey in my carry-on which i bought at Heathrow which was in the special sealed duty free bag with the receipt visible as required.

As BA doesn't has a agreement with Thai i had to do immigration and customs at Suvarnabhumi which is fine for me.

As i had enough time i asked the check-in desk (Thai Business Class) if i could take my carry-on with my on my flight to Phuket.

The check-in girl informed me that i was not able to take the duty free with my and i had to check-in the bag to Phuket.

As my bag is not really suitable to be used as check-in i was not really happy with this but off course complied.

At the security point which is now at the new location which means that all passengers are using the same security (origination from Bangkok and all transit passengers) i asked the security staff there if it is allowed to have duty free liquid.

They informed that this was not a problem and allowed as long the duty free liquid is in a approved tamper proof bag with the receipt visible.

This would make sense to me as also the transit passengers are using this security point and if it would not be allowed those passengers can't use the transit route option in case they have any duty free liquid.

So the check-in girl says that it's not allowed and the staff manning the security point says that it is allowed ??????

Maybe next time i will try it with some cheap duty free liquid to see what happens ????

We talk about duty free bought liquids and not about the tax itself ????

I was informed the liquids rules applied on transfer to domestic flights

100mls per clear container up to total of one litre, all in one sealed clear bag. 

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

I was informed the liquids rules applied on transfer to domestic flights

100mls per clear container up to total of one litre, all in one sealed clear bag. 

Ok, so what do people who transfer from a international to a domestic flight and have there checked luggage checked through to their end destination?

they have possible duty free liquids in their carry-on without passing a checkin counter.

anywhere in the world this is recognised and not a issue.

Also the staff manning the security lines said that it is not a problem but no independent verification is available ????

35 minutes ago, merijn said:

Ok, so what do people who transfer from a international to a domestic flight and have there checked luggage checked through to their end destination?

they have possible duty free liquids in their carry-on without passing a checkin counter.

anywhere in the world this is recognised and not a issue.

Also the staff manning the security lines said that it is not a problem but no independent verification is available ????

Had some confiscated at LA after a flight from Mexico City, had been informed by authorities in Mexico it would be allowed on domestic flight, but not so.

• 3 weeks later...

Had an international arrival to Bangkok last year. Duty free alcohol bottle in tamper proof bag with receipt.
Cleared immigration, checked in domestic for onward flight. No issue. When I checked in for the domestic leg, the staff looked at the bag and said no problem.
This was DMK though.
At security - no problem. They inspected the bag and cleared me through.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 1:36 PM, merijn said:

Last November it was the staff at suvarnabhumi security checkpoint who told me I couldn't take it, and sent me back to the check-in counter !!  It was still in the sealed approved bag from when I bought it at Heathrow.  Some consistency so that we know for sure would be nice. But this is Thailand...

In terms of the link you posted:

5. Liquid, gel and spray purchased from duty free shop at the Airport must remain in the clear plastic bag without any traces of opening.Evidence of the purchase date being the same date as the date of travel must be declared to officials at the security checkpoints.

"at the airport" I think means suvarnabhumi, not an overseas airport ?  Once you've been outside a controlled area then there is the risk of tampering I guess, which is why if you are in transit it should be OK, but who knows. All very confusing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:35 PM, Tuvoc said:

Last November it was the staff at suvarnabhumi security checkpoint who told me I couldn't take it, and sent me back to the check-in counter !!  It was still in the sealed approved bag from when I bought it at Heathrow.  Some consistency so that we know for sure would be nice. But this is Thailand...

In terms of the link you posted:

5. Liquid, gel and spray purchased from duty free shop at the Airport must remain in the clear plastic bag without any traces of opening.Evidence of the purchase date being the same date as the date of travel must be declared to officials at the security checkpoints.

"at the airport" I think means suvarnabhumi, not an overseas airport ?  Once you've been outside a controlled area then there is the risk of tampering I guess, which is why if you are in transit it should be OK, but who knows. All very confusing.

Just a update, 

I arrived 2 days ago from London into Bangkok, Cleared immigration at Suvarnabhumi and went via departure to the domestic for my Bangkok Airways flight to Phuket.

As a test i bought a 1.5 liter bottle of water at Heathrow airport and put in a sealed bag according the rules etc.

At domestic security i placed the bag with the bottle in a separate tray together with my Ipad etc.

The security guy who stands at the front of the x-ray machine checked the bag to see if there was a sales slip in it and told me no problem to take it with me.

I don't know if i was lucky or you where unlucky but according to him it was OK to take it with me.

Regarding the information from the website i don't think that the small duty free shop just before immigration has sealed bags as they are not required when entering the country.

I will send email to the airport about this and hopefully i will get some reply but i don't have my hopes high ????