Overstaying Swede - 1,001 days -  no match for Big Oud's "Smart Car"

webfact

Self promotion may be part of the reason for the public pronouncement, but it's main purpose is as public warning to discourage others who may be tempted to break the Law.

The average Thai citizen will not take any notice of this because it doesn't apply to them (maybe they would not take any notice of police warnings even in situations when it might apply !).

These events are staged for the benefit of those (including TV readers) who might be or have been tempted to "forget" their Visa terms.

It's the Immigration Police doing their job, but in a manner which maybe different from the practise in other countries.

3 hours ago, Scot123 said:

People on here do not criticise the immigration police of doing their jobs. What I and others do rightly criticise is the the fanfare, their over handed approach and their racism. I personally object to hords of police vehicles and police turning up at my house checking my details. I also object to being labelled an alien or even a farang. In the UK people are picked up all the time and raids are carried out and when caught illegally in the country are treated with dignaty deported or given the right to court/legal system to appeal. However we do not have this plastered all over the news demonising people and broadcasting phone numbers to report people because they do not like them or jealous of them. That is what we object to. 

You've never heard of Yarl's Wood or read any of the stories that come out of there?

Windrush only earlier this year? Theresa May's 'hostile environment?

Please don't try and paint the UK as a beacon of virtue as regards immigrants. You insult our intelligence.

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

As the Swede apparently had his passport which the IOs could check, I fail to see the role biometrics played in this particular case.

He was known to be in the country but didn't appear on the biometrics database.

It's called an exceptions report.

3 hours ago, thequietman said:

Yes, I understand your point, but it doesn't have to be broadcast on national media like it is here, with the sole goal of making the immigrant the really bad guy.

Yes, catch overstayers cause that is their job, but stop sucking your own d@@ks along the way. Do your job, send them home and get on with it. This back patting is incredibly annoying and quite childish actually.

The purpose of this attention is to turn the Thai's against the foreigner and this is being done in plain site by this government. It's sad to see it happening. ????

It's not actually. It's to send the message to foreigners that they need to stay legal, sort their paperwork out or <deleted> off home or somewhere else.

11 minutes ago, Traubert said:

You've never heard of Yarl's Wood or read any of the stories that come out of there?

Windrush only earlier this year? Theresa May's 'hostile environment?

Please don't try and paint the UK as a beacon of virtue as regards immigrants. You insult our intelligence.

Didnt  the UK Gov apologise  for the Windrush scandal and stopped doing the deportations ?

12 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Why the need for all the biometrics? Surely all they have to do is open the passport and check the stamp, but I guess that doesn't sound as glamorous as a 'smart car'

This is really ridiculous.

All they have to do is phone the immigration hotline , check the passport number and country, it should be in their database.

Biometrics is only used to identify the physical person is the same person as in the passport and not to check for overstayers.

This is quite misleading news.

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Didnt  the UK Gov apologise  for the Windrush scandal and stopped doing the deportations ?

They did Mr Max, but too little too late considering it was the Home Office who never bothered issuing the correct paperwork in the first place. The apology was hollow.

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

We all know that already , no need to keep on telling us

Then stop saying it's done so that Thais will turn on foreigners, which is patently not true to the non-paranoid.

Actually, it's the first time I've ever mentioned it, and probably the last, so 'keep on telling us' is also wide of the mark.

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

Then stop saying it's done so that Thais will turn on foreigners, which is patently not true to the non-paranoid.

Actually, it's the first time I've ever mentioned it, and probably the last, so 'keep on telling us' is also wide of the mark.

I have never said that its done so that Thais turn on foreigners, so, I cannot stop saying something that I have never said before .

Also, I did mean that the Thai gov doesnt need to keep telling us that we need to remain legal, as we saw all already all know that .

Although I was replying to you , I was referring to the Thai gov, rather than meaning you personally 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I just try to imagine what it would mean if the head of national immigration in a country like Germany did a press conference with chart boards etc. for catching an overstayer/illegal entry. It would need a stadium to hang the charts.

In other countries this is reserved for murderers, homicide, rapists, drug lords etc.

Yes I grew up in Germany never seen anything like it now living in Australia for about 40 years I never seen anything like that.

53 minutes ago, Traubert said:

He was known to be in the country but didn't appear on the biometrics database.

It's called an exceptions report.

I doubt it. Many foreigners who live in Thailand  legally on yearly extensions haven't left or entered the country since the new cameras and fingerprint scanners were installed. They aren't in the new biometrics database yet either.

Maybe someone filed a TM30 report for this guy and that's what led to him. Oops.

12 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

There's a checkpoint every few miles around where I live because of all the illegal Burmese etc. I don't even know how someone could overstay unless they never left their house. Seems to me an awful way to live life 

Up in the sticks of Kalasin, there are a number of Indians ( approximately 15-20) driving around on motorbikes selling shirts, shorts and various other wares. I am also reliably informed they are debt collecting on small loans supplied to local villagers.

They are employed by a Thai ' of influence ' not a white faced foreigner in sight guys, they are working in plain sight and being ignored by the local police.

So nobody needs to tell me that they are seriously cracking down on immigration offenses.

These guys even hang around together to drink and eat in the local Mom and Pop stores and cheap restaurants.

The point being, they are not moving around unnoticed, except for the police displaying the usual ' No blindness like those who don't want to see! ' 

21 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m wondering how many of those here who are criticizing the police for doing their job (or defend a guy overstaying his Visa) don’t miss a chance to rage about immigrants in their home countries. 

I’m also wondering how one manages to overstay a thousand days. 

Do this in any of our home countries and you wouldn’t get away with it either.

I agree with the having to abide by local visa rules, however with regard to the UK the Home Office have stated on more than one occasion that they cant say for sure how many illegals are in the country, which i believe means they really do not know, i think the 1001 day overstayer could have stayed here forever but somebody took a dislike and chucked him in to the the  "Big Oud"

On 12/17/2019 at 8:52 AM, PremiumLane said:

Why the need for all the biometrics? Surely all they have to do is open the passport and check the stamp, but I guess that doesn't sound as glamorous as a 'smart car'

That would mean getting out of the A/C init.

Archived