Thai prisons: 15,000 foreign convicts and 9,600 in for drugs

webfact

Thai prisons: 15,000 foreign convicts and 9,600 in for drugs

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: Finding money to treat foreign convicts

A deputy official has revealed that Thailand's prison population is 300,000 convicts. 

Out of these 15,000 are foreigners and 9,600 of these are in for drugs offences.

Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. 

Out of the 300,000 population 1,170 died from illness in the last year.

Department of Corrections deputy Prawut Wongsinin told Komchadluek that big problems exist because foreigners in the prisons are often sick and don't come under the Thai social security scheme. 

They need to be treated to avoid infections being contracted by the general population and items like medication and surgeries do not come cheap.

The DoC is thus applying for 34 million baht to the Drug Prevention and Suppression Fund to treat the 9,600 inmates in prison for drugs. 

This represents 3,600 baht a person. 

Prawut said prior to this foreign embassies were contacted to help and patients were treated in government hospitals especially the Police Hospital. 

The number of foreigners in the system is now placing a strain on resources, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Komchadluek

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-17

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They would have a lot less dying if they provided remotely near the level of medical care they are obliged to provide under international treaties they have signed but ignore. Over the years I have had numerous people I have been visiting die from avoidable health issues, which were ignored until it was too late. In Pattaya prison, it takes two weeks to get to see the doctor and another two before any medicine arrives, by which time the person has either recovered or is probably dying.

12 minutes ago, oneton said:

From Wiki Oct 2018 Statistics in order of Incarceration Rate per 100000 population

Thailand 5th out 223 Countries and Dependant Territories.

Table abbreviated - See Wiki for more details

image.png.384934717881c862498bd0cf30d2de57.png

More interesting would be to see occupancy rates (I.e. people incarcerated per beds or space available). 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They would have a lot less dying if they provided remotely near the level of medical care they are obliged to provide under international treaties they have signed but ignore. Over the years I have had numerous people I have been visiting die from avoidable health issues, which were ignored until it was too late. In Pattaya prison, it takes two weeks to get to see the doctor and another two before any medicine arrives, by which time the person has either recovered or is probably dying.

Perhaps if they didnt break the law they wouldnt be tgere in the first place

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Department of Corrections deputy Prawut Wongsinin told Komchadluek that big problems exist because foreigners in the prisons are often sick and don't come under the Thai social security scheme. 

Maybe foreign prisoners should be required to buy Thai health insurance prior to being allowed into the prison system.

1 hour ago, PhineusFreek said:

Perhaps if they didnt break the law they wouldnt be tgere in the first place

Just because their in jail doesn’t mean they did anything wrong, this is Thailand anyone anytime could end up in jail innocent or not.

9 minutes ago, cnx101 said:

Just because their in jail doesn’t mean they did anything wrong, this is Thailand anyone anytime could end up in jail innocent or not.

Incorrect . You have to have been found guilty of a crime to end up in jail.

Yes,some innocent people in Thailand end up in jail, but its the same in all countries

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

More interesting would be to see occupancy rates (I.e. people incarcerated per beds or space available). 

Haha,

Thailand doesn't provide beds, a grotty space on the floor is the norm. Thailand's prisons are ridiculously overcrowded.

I cannot believe that they are whinging again about such ' paltry ' amounts of money to look after the medical needs of incarcerated people in their system, yet they go out and spend billions on useless armaments to protect themselves from imaginary enemies. The country really is a basket case run and driven by imbeciles.

To then have the affront to approach foreign embassies with a ' begging bowl ' regards asking for funds for medical care for foreign prisoners, when they have a budget surplus to the amounts we are often quoted, is beyond belief , have they absolutely no shame or ' self respect ? '

Next, they will be putting an additional tariff on law biding tourists tickets arrivals to cover these costs.

After all, they want to do this by placing a fee included in the ticket for tourist arrivals to cover medical costs of those uninsured, then the whacked on a charge for what was it now?, additional security measures at the airport that new immigration checking systems had cost them, to be included in the ticket, then there is the departure fee included in the ticket,etc.

Where does it all end? Don't they get it?, these are considered fair and reasonable costs and the price of doing business as a tourist destination with the huge benefits to the economy tourism brings them financially

Next they will be adding back beach cleaning services and measuring and charging per person for the estimated amount of sewage generated to be added to the flight ticket.

DISGUSTING THAILAND.

Under international laws, which this country signs up to, then ignores, they have a duty of care to foreigners coming to their country, even convicted criminals.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The DoC is thus applying for 34 million baht to the Drug Prevention and Suppression Fund to treat the 9,600 inmates in prison for drugs. 

This represents 3,600 baht a person.

Broken down into the following....

Head of local Government where the prison is situated - 35%

Prison Governor - 45%

Wardens - 15%

"Trustee inmates" - 4%

Inmates - 1%

Easy, don't lock up non-dealing drug abusers and other petty offenders.

Once the prison population is down to a healthier level, the available resources will be more adequate for the remaining inmates.

Also, with foreigners in particular, petty offenders could be fined, deported and banned outright instead of being incarcerated at Thailand's expense.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Yes,some innocent people in Thailand end up in jail, but its the same in all countries

I don't think so

if a bail isn't proposed or if you can't pay it

you have to wait in jail until the judgement day

It's not specific to Thailand

in France a lot of people (40% of the inmates in 1997) are in jail during months 

(It was years before the european legislation) waiting their judgement day

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't think so

if a bail isn't proposed or if you can't pay it

you have to wait in jail until the judgement day

It's not specific to Thailand

in France a lot of people (40% of the inmates in 1997) are in jail during months 

(It was years before the european legislation) waiting their judgement day

Yes, that is called on remand and they hold you until your Court case

Although you are being held in a jail cell, it isnt regarded as a jail sentence

48 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, that is called on remand and they hold you until your Court case

Although you are being held in a jail cell, it isnt regarded as a jail sentence

And so whatever how is regarded ''technically'' on a practical level you end up in jail

waiting the day a court in his judgement can sort out if you are guilty or not

that's why i was writing ''i don't think so'' answering at your post

''Incorrect . You have to have been found guilty of a crime to end up in jail.''

''

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Tell that to the Dutch guy and his wife who are innocent of any crime and will never see the light of day as all their money and assets have now been stolen. 

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

And so whatever how is regarded ''technically'' on a practical level you end up in jail

waiting the day a court in his judgement can sort out if you are guilty or not

that's why i was writing ''i don't think so'' answering at your post

''Incorrect . You have to have been found guilty of a crime to end up in jail.''

''

Yes, but every Country you can go on remand to await your trial, if they think that you may not attend your trial 

Simple solution would be to send them back to their own countries to carry out their sentences. Oh wait there is money to be made off them. Plus many would arrive home and have their 10 year sentence for vaping sentence thrown out plus the same with miniscule amounts of drugs for personal use thrown out and there I'd the Duch couple now wow that would be interesting. 

9 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Simple solution would be to send them back to their own countries to carry out their sentences. Oh wait there is money to be made off them. Plus many would arrive home and have their 10 year sentence for vaping sentence thrown out plus the same with miniscule amounts of drugs for personal use thrown out and there I'd the Duch couple now wow that would be interesting. 

How many people have been jailed for 10 years for vaping ?

In which countries can you possess illegal  drugs and not get prosecuted ?

Archived