BANGKOK
Phuket Mafia

Young American Moving To Udon?

I know it was recently asked about life in Udon Thani.

However, I just quit my job in Phuket and am looking to relocate to a quieter less tourist heavy area. I’ve stopped in Udon before on a visa run to Laos and thought it was really nice ( felt like a mini bkk).

Minimal amounts of tourists, no Chinese or Russians everywhere just a bunch of old white dudes and they didn’t bother me. I guess how would a guy in his early 20’s do in Udon. Are there other young NES around? Any jobs up there for foreigners?

thanks.

• Like 1

I’ve been to Khon Kaen as well but didn’t like how open everything felt... at least around the cinema/shopping mall. Udon Thani had this closed off feeling. It was a while ago so maybe I’m misremembering or I’m just weird.

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Phuket for udon? You will be in tears within a few weeks 

That’s what I’m afraid of! However, I just need a quiet cheap place to wrap up my degree (no distractions). I do all my university classes online.

Its a decent little city. Khon kaen is bigger and maybe more job opportunities but Udon Thani is more interesting. Smaller and compact but has alot of western comforts. Can go to Laos for a weekend if you wish.