GPS shortcut blamed as two Bangkok women drown in submerged car in Chachoengsao

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police and rescue services were called after locals found an overturned Vios car in a roadside ditch in the Bang Nam Priaw area of Chachoengsao yesterday afternoon. 

When the car was retrieved two people were found dead. They were named as the driver Phimpha, 55, and a passenger Sommai, 56, both from Bangkok. 

They had drowned in the car.

Pol Lt-Col Winai Horian of the Chimplee police said that the driver had made many trips to the area that was the hometown of her husband but he was always driving and he always used the main road.

It appeared that this time Phimpha was using GPS while driving and the system on her phone had advised her to use a secondary road that was full of twists and turns. 

It is thought she was looking down at her phone when she encountered a sudden turn and lost control of her vehicle resulting in the death of the two women. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-18

I knew a Korean woman back in Aus who was driving her Land rover and the GPS said drive straight ahead which se did right through a stop sign t/boning a small car and severely injuring the driver and told the police the GPS told her to do it , no accounting for stupid .   

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

It is thought she was looking down at her phone when she encountered a sudden turn and lost control of her vehicle resulting in the death of the two women. 

While it's very sad that two people died needlessly, there's still no end to the culture of blaming someone or something else that was essentially driver error - not concentrating on driving.

I dont know how this is possible unless your an absolute idiot BUT i can safely say i have had 2 toyotas with built in GPS that have failed me more times than can remember. I only use Waze and Google Maps now. Ive aeen this happen to a few toyotas now. Im starting to see a pattern.... 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Death by misadventure.... GPS is a tool to use as assistance, not to take as gospel, you still have to look out the front window!

RIP ladies better luck next time around.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, Seismic said:

This link appears to have escaped the notice of the Thai-bashing brigade, though. In their eyes it must always be the driver's fault if he/she is/was Thai. Whereas, if the driver is/was not Thai, some fault with the GPS must alwaye be to blame since, as far as they are concerned, non-Thai drivers must, by definition, be models of 100% perfection at all times.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:08 AM, webfact said:

Since they're both dead and no-one else was in the car with them, how can they possibly know that? It's pure speculation on their part.

On 12/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, trainman34014 said:

They don't really know what happened as nobody other than those that died were in the car.  However; as always Thai's are ready to blame anything other than their own failings for anything that goes wrong !

Yes exactly!!! Like the idiot yesterday on his motorbike driving on the footpath that broke his mirror when he ran into me. If only there was someone to take a picture of me laughing and pointing at him because he was very angry ????????????

On 12/18/2019 at 10:08 AM, webfact said:

It appeared that this time Phimpha was using GPS while driving and the system on her phone had advised her to use a secondary road that was full of twists and turns. 

That's some presumption there!!

2 people found in an over turned car.

And they already have the full story of not only that the GPS is to blame, but that it's thought she was looking down at it.

The idea that something else could be to blame, another vehicle for example, isn't considered? 

Amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can you imagine the police telling you and the world that your mum died because of her stupidity ? Of course they wouldn’t . They know how dumb she was but have enough respect not to make her dumbness even more obvious . Sometimes we like to blame the Thais for absolutely everything without thinking of the reasons behind a response . I have been around Thais long enough to know they are far more considerate then most of us westerners . 

On 12/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, keith101 said:

I knew a Korean woman back in Aus who was driving her Land rover and the GPS said drive straight ahead which se did right through a stop sign t/boning a small car and severely injuring the driver and told the police the GPS told her to do it , no accounting for stupid .   

Well Keith I do live in OZ for about 40 years my car is 23 years old (no airbag,no GPS) I still use

the good old roadmap and never had an accident all my life (and years before that in Europe)

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well Keith I do live in OZ for about 40 years my car is 23 years old (no airbag,no GPS) I still use

the good old roadmap and never had an accident all my life (and years before that in Europe)

Sixty years ago my transportation to school had a built in GPS, was voice activated and ran on biofuel.  In the winter when the wind and snow were blowing I just kept my head down and hung on.  Never once had an accident.  It was a horse.  Throw that modern technology in the trash.

Archived