decathlon

robblok

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

It's a French entreprise, they are used to westerners, many shops in France for many years 

Yes you can see that in how they work. Very different to large Thai shops in terms of how their staff work and act. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I really dont see the problem, just make an email account for this if it bothers you. 

I guess a lot of people worry about privacy while shops like this just want to send a bit of advertisement at times. If that is the worst of it you make a rule in your mailbox to delete advertisements.

The main problem is no other shop will insist on an email or telephone number or you can't buy anything

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The range of bikes in their Pattaya branch has been expanded and looks decent. I wasn't shopping for a bike at the time so don't recall the prices but similarly I don't recall any sticker shock either.

They don't have the top end bikes available in the UK but like everything in Decathlon the ones they sell will be good value

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The main problem is no other shop will insist on an email or telephone number or you can't buy anything

Either give it or dont give it and dont buy. Personally I dont see the problem but some people make problems out of nothing. 

7 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Why do they require your phone and email to make a purchase?

Not a good idea to give your phone number, especially if you’re a traveller. When I was in Europe once, I was woken up at 3am by a marketing call from Australia’s Harvey Norman.

Agree, Decathlon’s a great store, outdoor and sporting goods at Kmart prices.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Obviously you can give it or not give it, i think everyone knows that

Yes but i don't get the point of why its so hard to give your email or if it bothers you so much to make a separate email account for something like this.

I just wonder how paranoid some posters are. 

Its like making a mountain out of an ant hill. 

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Obviously you can give it or not give it, i think everyone knows that

I always start out saying in my broken Thai a do not want to give my phone or email to buy something - I then get a deer in the headlights smile and silence until I relent and punch in bogus info... I have lived here long enough to know it's worthless to make a huff about things and just think of the easiest workaround...

Edited by sfokevin

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes but i don't get the point of why its so hard to give your email or if it bothers you so much to make a separate email account for something like this.

your view is you aren't bothered by giving contact details, fine, others are bothered by it. One thing for sure, it's a strange requirement which should be binned really. Which other shop does it? can't buy without giving email or phone number?

• Thanks 1

Went to the Phuket store on the recommendation of a friend and picked up a top of the range head torch for less than half the price of a similar branded head torch (Petzl) , well pleased with that.

Also the week before when I was up in Chiang Mai, I bought a Running Cap from Asics Store in the Central Mall in the Sale at 40% discount (540baht) , only to find Decathlon’s own brand , exactly the same at 150baht.

Made a believer outta me  !

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, robblok said:

your view is you aren't bothered by giving contact details, fine, others are bothered by it. One thing for sure, it's a strange requirement which should be binned really. Which other shop does it? can't buy without giving email or phone number?

Threads like this are quite entertaining...

Some posters are so outraged that they have to give up their highly personal information (which really isn't that personal and 100's of companies already have it) that they completely lose all sense of intelligence for the simple 'get out' and come across as completely paranoid fruit cakes !!!

Just give a fake e-mail, it doesn't even have to be a real e-mail !!! really, how hard is that.

How hard is it to even set up another e-mail account specifically for this junk stuff (I did that over 10 years ago) - Some have spent more time complaining about this issue than the resolution of just setting up another e-mail account. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some posters are so outraged that they have to give up their highly personal information (which really isn't that personal and 100's of companies already have it) that they completely lose all sense of intelligence for the simple 'get out' and come across as completely paranoid fruit cakes !!!

Just give a fake e-mail, it doesn't even have to be a real e-mail !!! really, how hard is that.

How hard is it to even set up another e-mail account specifically for this junk stuff (I did that over 10 years ago) - Some have spent more time complaining about this issue than the resolution of just setting up another e-mail account. 

Yes that is putting it exactly as i see it. Just put in a fake email account or make a separate account for these kind of things. The solution is so easy. 

I just wonder what the problem is about giving up an email address. 

Went to one, inside a Lotus mall at Paholyotin Sapan Mai, last week.

Not big, all the same. I prefer the sports outlet in Muang Thong, Nonth.

Long time ago went to the Decathlon in Antwerp, Muiden And Amsterdam.

Yep, asked for my number but eventually got a card so they stopped asking.

Mail went straight a separate folder on my 'trash' email.

I have purchased a 12,000 baht enflatable kayak from their website, and it arrived well packaged and fast. I have also bought footballs and assorted football gear, as well as kayak paddles, pumps etc. A good quality company , I think they are headquartered out of france.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Most people have spam folders so don't need to set up other email accounts, waste of time that is

22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I am a frequent shopper at Decathlon in Pattaya, upstairs at Tesco-Lotus on Nua. I have used their hiking boots while working in the mountainous jungles and wading across rivers in north Myanmar between two monsoon seasons and they still look like new. Their range of hiking shirts and pants is also excellent and fits all budgets. The size ranges offered also caters for the bigger farangs too. I am 6'4" and 100 lbs with size 11 feet and they accommodate all that easily. The range of items they stock is expanding and last time I got a replacement compact derailleur for my lad's bike for only 300 baht.

You should eat more.

23 hours ago, johng said:

I suggested somewhere along the Sukhumvit road   Tesco,Homepro, Big C, Outlet Mall area south Pattaya more convenient for me of course ????

Is the old Index Mall on the east side of Sukhumvit near Klang and SSCC road still empty?

On 12/19/2019 at 10:47 AM, sfokevin said:

Why do they require your phone and email to make a purchase?

Hi. I didn't see if someone replied already, but it's for safety reason. The aim in collecting phones numbers is to be able to contact the customers in case a defect is found in a product they bought.

It happens a few years ago where trace of a toxic product were found in a ball for children. They contacted as many buyers as possible to replace or pay back this product.

I am from France and a Decathlon customer for more than 30 years, and I never ever received any commercial call or email from them :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

On my first shopping session at Decathlon, I said I didn't have an email address and I was a foreign tourist so didn't have a phone number either. A couple of clicks by the checkout girl on her keyboard later, my purchase was processed OK.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They don't have the top end bikes available in the UK but like everything in Decathlon the ones they sell will be good value

Yes, nothing hi-tech or carbon fiber but as I said, they looked good. Another point is they have a 'workshop' in the bikes sales area at Pattaya and a guy that appeared to know what he was doing. I have seen the 'techs' assembling bikes at the likes of Global House and Big-C and they mostly haven't a clue wwith stuff not tightened up and nuts left over.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

So then what is that major problem you have with them ? You yourself give a good solution. 

I don't have a problem with it as i said ages ago further up, i provide an email address so i can use as a receipt. But, it's an odd requirement like I've said further up also, they should drop it

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't have a problem with it as i said ages ago further up, i provide an email address so i can use as a receipt. But, it's an odd requirement like I've said further up also, they should drop it

Why? They can already accommodate your reticence quite easily just as you have accommodated their needs. Nothing needs to change IMHO. There's no evidence that droves of customers are avoiding any retail establishment that wants some sort of customer contact information just as there are no legal grounds for them to refuse a sale because you don't want to give them that information.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Why? They can already accommodate your reticence quite easily just as you have accommodated their needs. Nothing needs to change IMHO. There's no evidence that droves of customers are avoiding any retail establishment that wants some sort of customer contact information just as there are no legal grounds for them to refuse a sale because you don't want to give them that information.

I think it's a daft requirement, simple as that, you think otherwise, fine. Which other shops do it? if it was such a good idea many or all shops would be doing it. Decathlon in Thailand is in a unique position with no competitors. In the UK I can't remember them asking for it, if customers found it to be a pain they have other shops they can go to

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

...if customers found it to be a pain...

And if, like the undeniable majority of shoppers anywhere, they don't find it to be a pain?

OK, it obviously drives you up the wall so I will share my personal bee in my bonnet

Every time I hit a Big C checkout, they politely ask if I have a membership. I don't and say as much and then the checkout progresses. Sometimes this can be the same checkout girl that served me maybe half a dozen times over as many weeks so apart from maybe we do all look the same, I guess it is part of their training. But why doesn't the Big C club marketing people have some sign-up forms or whatever it takes to become a member at the checkout? I would like to get sms messages about BOGOF offers and other specials on stuff I don't want to buy just as much as the next person but not as much as I dream of being able to pass my mobile phone number to the fit young thing that works the 10-items-only lane on Friday afternoons.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, scubascuba3 said:

This is not a general public shop, as they clearly state its a 100% membership store. If you aren't happy to join, spend your THB elsewhere or put on your big boys pants & take the red pill. 

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, eezergood said:

This is not a general public shop, as they clearly state its a 100% membership store. If you aren't happy to join, spend your THB elsewhere or put on your big boys pants & take the red pill. 

The email address [email protected] always works well. Member<deleted> my a$$, who are the idiots who believe this BS ?!