Buriram: Savage dog attack leaves three year old girl dead

webfact

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Where does ownership begin?
I feed 2-3 stray cats. They like to stay around the house (not inside) and I take them to the vet occasionally. 
Still, I don't consider them to be mine. 

Congratulations on increasing the bird decimating problem in your area...you should be ashamed, you are  helping no one, cats now becoming more of a menace as the latest craze. Stop feeding them............but you wont will you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, milesinnz said:

Thais seem to have a "don't care less" about their own dogs. Few seem to be trained at all, and allowed to run free causing all sorts of trouble. I have no idea of the statistics, but it would seem dog ownership is quite high... I am surprised it is tolerated as it is.. perhaps it's just a part of Thai culture whatever the downsides..

Its very much like a lot of their children, allowed to do anything they want. They are  like this because they are LAZY no other reason, having a  dog or any pet inc kids is HARD work.

I read the first page of replies but then stopped. I imagine the dog lovers have already spoken and have rationalized the killing of this innocent child by now. It is truly a pity and pathetic how nothing is ever done to try and minimize this continued brutal assaults and vicious attacks by these totally out of control dogs that lurk all over Thailand. Time and time you read about these vicious attacks and I am truly in disbelief that nothing is ever done to try and prevent this from happening again. I can't believe the authorities are that insensitive but sometimes I wonder if they are more concerned about these stray dogs then its citizens who are mauled and killed time and time again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, watgate said:

I read the first page of replies but then stopped. I imagine the dog lovers have already spoken and have rationalized the killing of this innocent child by now. It is truly a pity and pathetic how nothing is ever done to try and minimize this continued brutal assaults and vicious attacks by these totally out of control dogs that lurk all over Thailand. Time and time you read about these vicious attacks and I am truly in disbelief that nothing is ever done to try and prevent this from happening again. I can't believe the authorities are that insensitive but sometimes I wonder if they are more concerned about these stray dogs then its citizens who are mauled and killed time and time again.

Many Thais seem to think this is acceptable, just  look at the laws protecting dogs so therefore its  what they want. Do I agree  .......nah land of smiles or land of stupid?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chazar said:

it  simply  wont,many of these  dogs are thrown food daily  by IDIOTS who drive past them daily and stop to feed  them, most by me  just throw out old rice  still in the plastic  bag. Many by me do this  daily and i  live in the country.

That's a contradiction in itself.

There are no dogs around. Only those with an owner are left. The stray dogs will be gone. 

And believe me if Thais would have to pay they would deny to have a dog.

Indeed bad for the dog.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a tragic heartbreaking story, poor little mite.

Long past time something was done about all the soi dogs here, sadly all we ever get is talk, but no action.

yes, I can remember the good old days with Thaksin. No stray dogs. Good business for dog catchers. But now the dog is PM...????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

nonsense, the idiots  will still "take care" throwing out krap food  in plastic  bags for them, I  might add anywhere they feel like it littering at the same time ...........  the real issue is ANY dog  not  on a lead rounded up and destroyed. 

That was exactly what I posted. What do you mean with nonsense? Can you please try to understand what you read before posting.

Where does 'owning' a dog begin? Or cat for that matter? Who is responsible for the actions of a dog or cat? You don't own the dog or cat, it owns you.

If you feed them, you are responsible. If you pet them, you are responsible. If you let them on your land you are responsible. If you drop plastic bags of rice, you are responsible. If you let then roam the streets, you are responsible. 

You are also responsible for the 24/7 welfare of a 3 year old child, cos the mother has gone to Bangkok to work and the father's bu**ered off.

The 'Dog Problem' has a simple solution.

A Dog Collar identifies the owner. 

No Collar = No Owner. No Owner, take the Dog away.

That rids the 'avoidance of responsibility' issue.

Then there is the simple solution to the 'un-responsible owner issue'

With identification the owners of noisy dogs (i.e. dogs barking and disturbing the piece) can be fined. 

The owners of dogs found in the street off their leash can also be fined.

Without going as far as registration / licensing, which wouldn't work in Thailand because no one would do it (many don't even bother with driving licenses) the simple solution is to remove any dog without a collar. 

Of course, this again, as with every single issue in Thailand relies upon some level of enforcement, unfortunately enforcement is the one thing Thailand is so sadly lacking in which impacts almost every facet of society. 

6 hours ago, Chazar said:

Congratulations on increasing the bird decimating problem in your area...you should be ashamed, you are  helping no one, cats now becoming more of a menace as the latest craze. Stop feeding them............but you wont will you.

You are correct. I always liked cats and never thought about any problems if they were roaming freely until I understood how many birds, lizards and other small animals they kill. 

I have never been afraid of dogs when I was In Australia. Because there the law requires dogs to be fenced in or if they go for a walk dog must be a on a leash. Basically its humans first dogs second Here In Thailand I am have become absolutely terrified of dogs I have been attacked on numerous occasions. The guy at the local hardware shop has this dog It has tried to bite me on several occasions I went and saw him and he just thought it was funny To bad now i dont buy anything off him anymore because I am terrified of that dog.

Here the law is Dogs first Humans second. They probably catch that mongrel who killed that girl and hold it in detention and let it go again Once a dog gets the scent to kill it will again.

• Thanks 1

Bang Kaew as a breed are cowardly back biters and will regularly attack and kill any small dogs and cats they see! Why they are held in esteem by Thai people is beyond me?

As a breed they have never moved far from the jackal's they were breed from! IMHO the gutless spineless creatures should be "put down" in every case!

There, rant over!  

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Couldn't agree more, wealthy charities here driving around all day feeding the soi dogs, in fact many are not soi dogs, they hang around the road side all day, making driving a hazard, while they wait for their next feed, it has only increased their population. 

Ban Amphur Beach was basically my backyard and regular walking area. Packs of stray dog were always present in varying numbers, and it wasn't terribly unusual to be able count as many as 30 of them while walking the length of the beach. 

There were often times when when the same group of 3 or 4 people would repeatedly come on their bicycles to bring the dogs food (brown rice with some other stuff mixed in) and water, and they even put flea collars on many of them once or twice. This feeding would seem to happen for some time when the numbers were getting high, and then suddenly there were almost no dogs on the beach the next day.

Then the numbers would grow as new packs claimed their zones of the beach, and the cycle would repeat itself. I always wondered what that feeding situation was about. I wondered if it was good-will or people gaining the trust of the dogs over time then drugging them for relocation to a northern market.   

Edited by Inn Between
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

the simple solution is to remove any dog without a collar. 

Remove any dog  not accompanied by its owner with or without a collar..the idiot feeders already put collars on their "not my pets"  to try and fool the dog catchers.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 4:35 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Heart breaking. Too little, too late but the dog needs to be found and destroyed. 

Just another disgrace, I got bitten by a soi dog a few weeks ago I have 2 rabies shots to go.

The dogs around the streets are a disgrace, mangy unkept and savage dogs that have gone insane from being locked in small areas day after day, and wild dogs running around in packs.

It is a disgrace, and still people feed them.

The government should start rounding these mad dogs up and put them down.

They should also sterilise gogs to stop the out of control breeding of mongrels.

But most disgraceful is that the dogs owner denies it is his .

Just like if a motorbike cut in front of you and you hit it you would be wrong.

Shameful  .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, watgate said:

I can't believe the authorities are that insensitive but sometimes I wonder if they are more concerned about these stray dogs then its citizens who are mauled and killed time and time again.

You could blame Buddha for this.

"The alleged owner of the dog has refused to accept responsibility and has claimed it is a stray." Heard all too often here. I saw a child throwing stones and teasing a dog last week completely unsupervised. Not for the first time. No social responsibility and those who pay the price are never those who could have prevented it. Sorry for the girls death but sorry for the dog also who probably had a lifetime of unkindness as they often do here.