Mandatory Health Insurance for Non OA Visa Holders

ASEAN NOW Sales

OP wrote >

... the obligation to have health insurance with one of the approved Thai Companies applies to:

1 ....;

2 Anyone applying for an Extension of Stay within Thailand where this Extension of Stay is based on an initial NON OA visa.

>>> This is not correct.  The obligation to have health insurance is ONLY required when applying for an extension of stay based on an initial Non OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

When the extension of your OA Visa is due and you are married, you can apply for an extension for reason of MARRIAGE which does not require health-insurance.

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually there have been reports of IOs requiring it for marriage extensions as well if oroginal visa was OA. Best to check with your specific IO. Several people expecting to just change reason for extension have had to leave and return on an O. 

Correct, but those cases are the exception rather than the rule as the Police Order is crystal clear that health-insurance is only required for extensions based on RETIREMENT.  But indeed, better check beforehand with your local IO in case they also require it for extensions based on MARRIAGE.  They are blatantly wrong, but as your local IO has the Final Say on your application, you would then be forced to exit Thailand, return Visa exempt and apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (for retirement or marriage) at your local IO and in the last month of that Visa apply for an extension (which will not require health-insurance).

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, good overview of health cover from the nominated companies.

I would question Pacific Crosses table of premiums, their basic cover premium table says from 66 to 70 is a fixed price of B51,589 I was with pacific cross when I turned 65 with a premium of 50,000B plus, keeping in mind for memory I had cover fo 1,000,000B, I was told that the premium would not change the following year, however when renewal time came, it jump to 70,000B plus. Now they offer 400,000B cover for 51,000B for my age group of 67, When you start to read the fine print, many of these policies are not worth the paper they are written on.  The tables above do not show excess figures, so I take it that all the above figures are excess free?

• Like 1

After 75 years I was told it was impossible to find an inssurance for the first time, I am with the same Thai "girl friend" for height years, everything being perfect betwee us, and with her familly too, if I marry her, my visa will still be non OA of course, but will an insurance still be compulsory?

21 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Correct, but those cases are the exception rather than the rule as the Police Order is crystal clear that health-insurance is only required for extensions based on RETIREMENT.  But indeed, better check beforehand with your local IO in case they also require it for extensions based on MARRIAGE.  They are blatantly wrong, but as your local IO has the Final Say on your application, you would then be forced to exit Thailand, return Visa exempt and apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (for retirement or marriage) at your local IO and in the last month of that Visa apply for an extension (which will not require health-insurance).

and the last month of that Visa apply for an extension (which will not require health-insurance)

Apply for an extension for retirement woud be possible? 

17 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

and the last month of that Visa apply for an extension (which will not require health-insurance)

Apply for an extension for retirement woud be possible? 

Yes, the health-insurance requirement is ONLY for extensions based on an original OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT. 

1. OA Visa extensions for reason of MARRIAGE do NOT require health-insurance.

2. Likewise extensions of Non Imm O Visas (be it for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage) do NOT require health-insurance.

Note: Marrying your girlfriend, would make it possible for you when your OA extension of stay is due, to apply for reason of marriage.  However, some rogue IOs (e.g. Phetchabun, Nonthaburi) insist - incorrectly - that the thai-approved health-insurance is required for all OA extensions.  So better check up front with your IO, what is their stance in this.  Extensions for reason of MARRIAGE also have lower financial requirements when using the Money in the Bank approach (400K instead of 800K), so that's a nice bonus when you consider that option. 

Edited by Peter Denis

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, the health-insurance requirement is ONLY for extensions based on an original OA Visa for reason of RETIREMENT. 

OA Visa extensions for reason of MARRIAGE do NOT require health-insurance

Likewise extensions of Non Imm O Visas (be it for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage) do NOT require health-insurance.

I reckon the motivation are not easy to understand even more if it is not so difficult to change OA in O, the health risks being the same. Of course in a few month they could decide mandatory for O visa too, because if I remember well a few months ago, it seems   having read people with OA asking for retirement extension should not be affraid inssurance will not be mandatory since the money in bank cannot go under 400.000 anymore.

I have still 7 month to find the best solution before my next extension.

23 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

extension for reason of MARRIAGE which does not require health-insurance.

one probably assumed a happy life is the best health insurance,
or that the family will come to the rescue in case.

Still have not found a break-down of unpaid bills (preferably compared to paid bills)
by Nationality, age group, and reason for Medical Attention.

Once those statistics are available, maybe we can discuss premiums with the major providers or a new entrant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I reckon the motivation are not easy to understand even more if it is not so difficult to change OA in O, the health risks being the same. Of course in a few month they could decide mandatory for O visa too, because if I remember well a few months ago, it seems   having read people with OA asking for retirement extension should not be affraid inssurance will not be mandatory since the money in bank cannot go under 400.000 anymore.

I have still 7 month to find the best solution before my next extension.

Attached a link to my post #93 in a different thread in which I outlined the reasons why I don't think thai authorities will also require health-insurance for Non Imm O - retirement Visas anytime soon (and even less likely for Non Imm O - marriage type Visas).  And if they do it will not be done in the incommunicado bulldozer way they mishandled the present debacle.

• 2 years later...

Is anybody aware if any expat clubs still offering group buy insurance? 

I have come across in archived posts about such clubs in pattaya, hua hin and chiang mai offering 20% on selected policies.

For some 400b yearly membership might be worth saving thousands.

Has anybody got an experience or opinion?

In one comment I have also read, that because members of those clubs are mainly seniors, he was out priced, above expected yearly increase. Not sure if his observation was correct.

I am in bangkok and haven't come across such club with discounted insurance, so probably will have to register in pattay