How to build muscle when 60 years+?

simon43

On 1/27/2020 at 10:57 AM, vogie said:

Yeah just bought one from Big C, does anyone know the strength of them. When I get to about 30 reps that is enough for me, really start to feel the burn.

Clearly this is only what is needed ! People going to gym or investing in home gym must really be idiots...

????

People are so funny on this forum...

We interrupt this riveting discussion to provide historical perspective on the whole biceps craze which was started by Charles Atlas' and the bully kicking sand in the scrawny guy's face.  It still continues to motivate insecure  ppl to this day.

Now back to our regular programming...

image.png.c80138ce763d3f471917b03246c5ceac.png

On 1/24/2020 at 8:37 AM, robblok said:

Though I prefer to stay out of trouble no need to prove myself like those aggressive Muay Thai guys.

Most trained fighters of all disciplines (and martial artists) are some of the nicest, least aggressive people around, outside of the ring.  Not sure why you feel so intimidated by them.  As part of your therapy, try walking up and saying hello rather than slamming barbells on the ground and screaming aggressively while posing for the mirror.

Edited by grifbel

16 hours ago, grifbel said:

Most trained fighters of all disciplines (and martial artists) are some of the nicest, least aggressive people around, outside of the ring.  Not sure why you feel so intimidated by them.  As part of your therapy, try walking up and saying hello rather than slamming barbells on the ground and screaming aggressively while posing for the mirror.

No intimidation from Muay Thai guys just the aggressive vibe. You can make up what you want but my experiences with these guys (especially the younger crowd) who can't wait to kick someone outside the ring. Lots of wanna be touch guys. Kinda like you.

I do wonder about your intelligence a bit. I rate it lower each time. Could you explain to me why someone would scream while posing. I mean that makes no sense (unless you make it up of course). To pose one needs to stand still and keep air in not expend it while screaming.  So unless you made it up (highly likely) the guy doing it is of the same intelligence as you as he cant pose.

As for slamming barbels not sure where you have seen such a thing certainly not in a decent gym. The only times I slam a barbel is when I am unable to make a last rep and have no spotter. This something rare and being an aggressive idiot is actually looked down onto. Guess you went to a gym with people who were like you and saw all the bad habits there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 11:28 AM, stephenterry said:

Your comments are noted. When you have had time to plough through the research as I have done, you could have a broader perspective on why qualified nutritionists in the USA and UK are in consensus that a WFPB regime - without animal products - is an optimum health diet. 

Bear in mind the latest study was observational, and while I favour such an approach it falls into the category you describe - i.e. no scientific biochemistry evidence that the results are causal. 

Hong Kong people live the longest and eat the most meat. India and Bangladesh have the most vegans and live short lives.

Heart disease was rare in tribes like the Masai on nearly all meat.

The facts say meat is good for humans but vegans can't handle the truth about human evolution. Lots of plant foods are filled with antinutrients and many nutrients are not readily absorbed in comparison to meat and eggs where the nutrients are easily absorbed.

Broccoli, for example, is not a naturally occurring plant. It’s been bred from undomesticated Brassica oleracea or ‘wild cabbage’; domesticated varieties of B. oleracea include both broccoli and cauliflower. Broccoli, along with any seedless variety of fruit (including what you think of as bananas), and most of the crops grown on farms today would not exist without human intervention.

Yet vegans promote these foods as natural health foods.

For those with limited access to a gym and no free weights, what's the opinion from the experts here on the resistance training kits that are on the market? I have a Body by Jake Tower 200 system that hangs from any convenient door and provides as hard a workout as one wants.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

For those with limited access to a gym and no free weights, what's the opinion from the experts here on the resistance training kits that are on the market? I have a Body by Jake Tower 200 system that hangs from any convenient door and provides as hard a workout as one wants.

Semi junk but better than nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 8:13 AM, robblok said:

Just when you were starting to make progress, you regress again with your silly aggression.  Let's go through your rant shall we?

No intimidation from Muay Thai guys just the aggressive vibe.

This seems to be your own creation maybe from an inferiority complex.

Lots of wanna be touch guys. Kinda like you.

You are the biggest wannabe that always wanted to be, but never was.  Not sure what a "touch guy" is though???

I do wonder about your intelligence a bit. I rate it lower each time.

I have no doubts whatsoever about your (lack of) intelligence, but thanks for taking the time to make a rating.

As for slamming barbels not sure where you have seen such a thing certainly not in a decent gym. The only times I slam a barbel is when I am unable to make a last rep and have no spotter

Ok, now I know you do no really work out, but are just pretending and are a fake online gym persona . Barbell does not rhyme with garble (which is what you seem to be a master at). 

A barbel is a fish if I am not mistaken,

image.png.5bbd487b40f8df93894a56a894d1ea94.png

Look in the mirror and say dumbbell...say it again.  Now give me one more.  Okay, maybe that will help you to say and spell "barbell".

Edited by grifbel