Do many people in the Isaan region use vacuum cleaners?

Elkski

Can you buy vacuum cleaner in Thailand and why aren't they used more ? even a shop vacuum would be nice compared to all the dusty Little whisker Brush brooms create.  What are some good places to buy a vacuum and how much would they cost in the ubon ratchathani area

It's mostly brushes, you should be able to find a vacuum

in Big C ,Robinsons, Central ,or Homepro, we have one but

the wife never uses it, just brushes and mops the floor,

just uses it to clean the cars.or you could order off LaZaDa .

regards worgeordie  

I have one. Why are they not used much? I just can guess. Perhaps because the people don't have carpets but mostly tiles. A full cleaning of my condo is first sweeping, then cleaning with the vacuum cleaner and the last step is cleaning wet. The second step - the vacuum cleaner - I also could skip like most do it. 

Of course people use vacuum cleaners in Isaan, granted not as much as  Western people but that's probably due to the cost v lower salaries. Vacuum cleaners are available everywhere - Big C, Home Pro, Power Buy, Tesco, Makro etc. etc.

With the way water is thrown around, and floors are wet most of the time, a regular vacuum cleaner wouldn't last long.  I could see how many wouldn't have figured out why their machine died after a few months.  I never shopped for one in Thailand, but I'd guess Homepro would be a good place to start in search of a wet vac.

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

...why aren't they used more ?

Because a lot of thai girls think a regular use of the vacum cleaner

leads to an explosion of the electric bill. 

Anyway a girl with a brush or a vacum cleaner have both the same problem

the older they get, the more noise they make

and they suck less

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

why aren't they used more ?

My girlfriend believes the thing blows a lot of dust into the air. She refuses to use the thing. And the last time I used it she suddenly had a mouth cap on.

The task at hand is to deep clean moms village house.   The bottom floor is block and tile floor so mop works fine.   But the upstairs very dusty. It has wood flooring with cracks so sweeping will drop lots of dust into the air and downstairs.   I think a vacuum would be the best solution.   Even a shop vac with hepa filter.  Mom says no clean upstairs because so much  dust.    it may be the first vacuum cleaner in the village.  

23 minutes ago, Elkski said:

The task at hand is to deep clean moms village house.   The bottom floor is block and tile floor so mop works fine.   But the upstairs very dusty. It has wood flooring with cracks so sweeping will drop lots of dust into the air and downstairs.   I think a vacuum would be the best solution.   Even a shop vac with hepa filter.  Mom says no clean upstairs because so much  dust.    it may be the first vacuum cleaner in the village.  

Vacuum cleaners are sold in everything single large hardware shop and home supplies store in Ubon; HomePro, Home Hub, Global home, One home etc. Even in Makro. All brands. Hitachi, Electrolux, Panasonic, Samsung; home vacuum cleaners and large commercial type cleaners. Costs range from 2,000 baht up to 4,000 baht for most home vacuum cleaners. 

These places wouldn't be selling them if there wasn't a market. At a guess, I would say most homes in these modern city house estates would have a vacuum cleaner. They also will have a microwave, automatic washing machine and in some cases even a clothes dryer. Some may even have a coffee machine judging by the number of coffee machines on display in Robinsons. 

46 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I use ours to do the upstairs wood section for floors and walls to get all the cob webs and daddy longlegs spiders great for the cracks in the floors also do the in between the louver widows and fly screen had it for ten years and still going strong it even gets borrowed by the niece sometimes.

Village living general cost of buying, electricity bill increase, Ample Electric plugs, they grew up with broom... we have one I’m the only that uses it when I think it’s needed... kitchen, one bathroom no hot water... our bathroom does

and it’s a toss up .. lottery tickets or vacuum?

There must be a lot of profit in the sales of vacuum cleaners, the latest and greatest is always being promoted! Do they clean tile floors any better than a brush? Doubtful, do they clean carpets better than a broom, for sure, but few here have carpets.

We have a couple, the battery operated thing I use on occasion as can usually find that, whereas the brushes seem to find good hiding places!

I like your replies.  Village life, lottery,  beer,  ample outlets, no hot water???  

I assume it's the same things like no power jig saw. Or weedwackers, or leaf blower/vac. I have hardwood floors.  Cant really  wet mop them so I sweep, vacuum and sometimes do the damp  mop.  

Along the clean up  moms house idea.

So what are the chances to get village kids to come help for a little money? If they worked 4 hours  what pay would be appropriate but not excessive?

They get a lot more dust off tiles than a broom, much to my wife's surprise.

Buy a mains powered canister cleaner, not a small hand-held !

I just purchased a cheap (1436.5 THB) Samsung from Powerbuy and it is very effective.

I used the online system, works well in English and there are many discount codes available in their sale at the moment, I got 15% off and could not find it cheaper anywhere.

It was not in stock in Ubon, so I elected for their Click and Reserve and to pay on collection in store at Central Ubon.

Ordered on a Sunday, ready for collection Friday, email and SMS notifications.

Need to take your passport as ID if a foreigner.

1400 wow that is low cost.  We are taking the  train. Jan 3 or 4.   Our destination is sisaket so west of ubon.  I'm not sure how many main outlets are in the upstairs.    What store do you pick up at powerbuy?

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

1400 wow that is low cost.  We are taking the  train. Jan 3 or 4.   Our destination is sisaket so west of ubon.  I'm not sure how many main outlets are in the upstairs.    What store do you pick up at powerbuy?

The nearest Power Buy store to Sisaket seems to be at Central Plaza, Ubon Ratchathani, which is where I paid for and collected my item.

They offer free delivery services too.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/promise-free-delivery

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 1:05 AM, bendejo said:

With the way water is thrown around, and floors are wet most of the time, a regular vacuum cleaner wouldn't last long.  I could see how many wouldn't have figured out why their machine died after a few months.  I never shopped for one in Thailand, but I'd guess Homepro would be a good place to start in search of a wet vac.

Good point. Mrs NL bought a smaller Hitachi 1800 W one for housekeeping and it did well until one of her nieces who was visiting was tasked with doing a bit of housekeeping. Water got sucked in and nobody mentioned it until maybe 6 months later when I wanted to use it and the dust had set like a rock in the catcher and the filters were stuffed. Oh yes, and the motor was broken as well.

Bought a slightly bigger HP replacement motor from Amorn and got replacement filters from Hitachi in Singapore (not available in Thailand... go figure) repaired and replace myself and it's all good again.

On 12/20/2019 at 1:12 AM, dimitriv said:

My girlfriend believes the thing blows a lot of dust into the air. She refuses to use the thing. And the last time I used it she suddenly had a mouth cap on.

They only vent dust if the HEPA filter is removed. Unfortunately, this is the first step of preventative maintenance in Thailand, ie. if not sucking well, remove filters and throw away as they only get blocked up again anyway.

Ww did order a  bosch 2000watt unit for 4500bht with some extra filter bags.  Can use with bags or not.  It was free delivery.  It arrived.  I did consider a wet dry unit.  Mom and sister are waiting for us to open the box. I brought dust masks for us. 8$. 

1577694497452.jpg

Archived