The Thai 'Second' or 'Junior Wife' Phenomena

Pilotman

Prior to 1935 a Thai man could have as many wives as he could afford.

"Mia Glang Muang" the official wife whom a man's parents acquired for him.
"Mia Glang Norg" the minor wife whom the man acquired by himself after his official wife.

"Mia Glang Tasee" slave wives whom the husband bought from the parents of the former their owners.

Source: http://thailawforum.com/articles/familywimol2.html#f15

Seems that the law is being ignored by many. Not an unfamiliar phenomenon.

:whistling:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Why Me said:

You couldn't be more wrong. Class/face is a gulf here. A "respectable professional" woman seen with a married guy in the west would take a bit of "home-wrecker" abuse but not much more. Here she would suffer massive loss of face, especially if she was seen in it for the money, likely ghosted all the way to her FB page, a fate worse than death.

Check what she was before being put on the payroll.

I'm sorry but you know nothing. She was his secretary. Same as in the West, an affair starts, when it gets serious, instead of the man leaving his wife and living with his lover as they would in the West, the man keeps her as the mia noi.

It's all about money.  A farang man married to a Thai woman can have a mia noi without repercussions as long as he

A. Keeps it low key, doesn't throw it in the wife's face.

B. Keeps the money flowing in.

No, she won't cut off the farang husband's penis if the money keeps flowing in.  Thai husband, different story altogether.

28 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Ah,it is safe to assume that every white,western male are all STUDS..buffed to the max..with brains the size of a planet,pleny of crypto-coin in their pockets..and their ears hung low..

"Do your ears hang low

Can you tie 'em in a knot

Can you swing 'em over your shoulder

Like a continental soldier..

do your ears hang low?

well that first description certainly sounds like me.  ???? 

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm sorry but you know nothing. She was his secretary. Same as in the West, an affair starts, when it gets serious, instead of the man leaving his wife and living with his lover as they would in the West, the man keeps her as the mia noi.

"Same as in the West ..." is silly. No one who has lived here an amount of time will say that about almost anything to do with Thai culture/sensibilities.

I would still say my guess about the, cough, cough, secretary is accurate.

I had one date with a woman high up in government health dept in bkk.  Her story was husband was police chief. He took a mia noi.  She didn't  accept this.   She  left him and did college. Her parents wouldn't talk to her for 3 years  because they believed a police chief deserved 2 mia noi.  Only 1 date. Gal used to red carpet treatment.  Sje did take me to brothers  nice  1 floor  house  nestled amongst the high rises.  I guess she wanted family to check me out.  That was best part of the evening.     after I saw the way she ordered the restaurant waitresses around I knew this would be the last date. 

25 minutes ago, Why Me said:

"Same as in the West ..." is silly. No one who has lived here an amount of time will say that about almost anything to do with Thai culture/sensibilities.

I would still say my guess about the, cough, cough, secretary is accurate.

Same as in the West as they often start the same way. As I explained, the outcome is very different.

You need to get that cough seen to, they often turn to verbal diarohea.

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

It's all about money.  A farang man married to a Thai woman can have a mia noi without repercussions as long as he

A. Keeps it low key, doesn't throw it in the wife's face.

B. Keeps the money flowing in.

No, she won't cut off the farang husband's penis if the money keeps flowing in.  Thai husband, different story altogether.

I agree that keeping everyone happy with a regular and acceptable level of income is paramount.

I would wager that the smarter foreigner marrying a 'nice' Thai girl will have much more success in having a mia noi than the guy who's wife comes from the P4P side of the tracks.

The former bar girl knows what primarily captivated her foreign husband and more importantly, how easily he can be captivated by a newer, younger model to the exclusion or replacement of her.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I would wager that the smarter foreigner marrying a 'nice' Thai girl will have much more success in having a mia noi than the guy who's wife comes from the P4P side of the tracks.

1 wife is more than enough, you'd need to be crazy to take on a second one IMHO.

I myself never had a mia noi, plenty of giks during my younger years! 

Back in late 90 and early 2000's I had a good friend from the USA that had his Chinese wife in one condo and his Mia Noi in another condo just 3 sois away. The Chinese wife knew nothing, the Thai knew about the Chinese. He had 2 kids with both wives this went on for 6-7 years, then everything came crashing down. He got cancer, his Chinese wife found out about the Thai all hell broke lose. 

Another is my brother in law. He has his 1st Thai wife with 3 kids and in another house has his 2nd Thai wife and 1 kid.  The two wives know about each other and actually talk to each other. Kids flop back and fourth between the two wives. He is currently in his 50's, his 1st wife is in her 40's his 2nd wife is in her 30's.  He's had two wives now for as long as I've know him which is about 12 years.  I know a few other Thai guys that have 2-3 mia nois.

It's definitely a show of Status for Thai men.

Why pay for Thai wife or Mia Noi?  I myself never had a Thai wife or a mia noi.

I have new FREE ongoing gík (กิ๊ก) .... every month 

My ex isaan gf told me; if you want to have sex everyday get yourself mia noi at lease 50km away from our residence. As soon as she went to big Buddha day, I packed my things and I left. 

My ex chon buri gf, told me; children are at home every weekend from Friday to Monday morning. If you want to have sex, get yourself weekend mia noi. Kids were ok but no sex for 3 days. I let Friday at noon. 

My ex Bangkokian gf, video called me every few hours to see if i do Not have mia noi. I left burner phone in her bedroom 

To live in Thailand without any "Thai family" financial responsibilities, SOLO life is the only way to enjoy life to the fullest.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

1 wife is more than enough, you'd need to be crazy to take on a second one IMHO.

Thai Friend of mine has 3 wife's, they all live together at his home.

When I visit I notice they act like sisters each with chores decided by rank.

Number one is who serves and takes care of Guests, Number two takes care of the children,

Number three does the house cleaning. However they help each other over all.

I asked him how and why have Three wife's, he said if only two, they gang up on him all the time.

But with Three they gang up on each other and leave him alone.

He says he has a Happy Home.

The Suppression of Prostitution Act B.E.2503

..."prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner in return for money or any other benefit...

So if it is not in a promiscuous manner it is not a prostitution

31 minutes ago, WhatupThailand said:

Thai Friend of mine has 3 wife's, they all live together at his home.

When I visit I notice they act like sisters each with chores decided by rank.

Number one is who serves and takes care of Guests, Number two takes care of the children,

Number three does the house cleaning. However they help each other over all.

I asked him how and why have Three wife's, he said if only two, they gang up on him all the time.

But with Three they gang up on each other and leave him alone.

He says he has a Happy Home.

Muslim ? it's another world that got stuck 1500 years ago

15 hours ago, JWRC said:

Explain yourself please??? are you a woman? if not how can you speak on behalf of what women are ok with or not.

Because I know a lot of Thai people over the last 38 years. 

how can you speak about politics, sports, .. when you are not doing it yourself? It is called education and life experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived