Invasion of the bees

dingdongrb

I am about 30 km from Surin and tonight there has been a massive swarm of bees appearing around our house. They seem to be attracted to the lights.

I just arrived from Chiang Mai today and my wife tells me that this is the first night she has seen them.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

I believe when bees swarm looking for a new site, they send out scouts looking for food. Maybe they didn't find what they were looking for and so moved on. Could have just been taking a rest I suppose. Bee keepers use lemongrass oil to attract bees to an empty hive. If you have it growing nearby it may have attracted them.

Yes we are growing a little lemongrass but they were nowhere near it. As I said they were attracted to the lights we have outside. They were not your average honeybee but much larger. I have never seen any killer bees before only the traps for them in Mexico, but that's what I first thought of. Strange that they came swarming at night and was gone as soon as we turned the lights off.

Most likely their hive was disturbed, there is a lot of poison/slash and burn (smokey fires) going on around where i live. (I still don't understand why, as no new crops will be planted, all ground cover has gone.  I still  seem to be the only one who has kept fallen leafs to rot into the ground, and ground cover grasses , am i doing something wrong ?)

I've seen many of those giant honeybee hives as there are many there in Chiang Mai. And I can tel you it takes quite some time for them to build a hive the size shown in the pics...

I will leave this here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/giant-hornets-have-invaded-washington-state-and-theyre-hungry-for-honeybees/ar-BBYhwjv?li=BBnbcA1

Archived