Thailand’s Maya Bay to remain closed for another two years

rooster59

Thailand’s Maya Bay to remain closed for another two years

By The Thaiger

maya.JPG

So that’s going to be almost the end of 2021.

The Department of National Parks Wildlife and Plant Conservation has announced that Maya Bay is going to be closed for another two years to provide a better opportunity for the ecological system to recover, whilst also completing and implementing plans for management of tourists at the famous tourist attraction.

Maya Bay is situated at Koh Phi Phi Ley between Phuket and Krabi.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/thailands-maya-bay-to-remain-closed-for-another-two-years

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-12-21

Well I for one am surprised but happy that possibly longer term sustainability appears to have won out over short term greed which does not appear to happen very often here. 

One could hope it may be a spark for the future - all be it I am not holding my breath.

Time will tell :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Like: We want a lot and we want that they all pay a lot.

And we don't care about the environment until it's so bad that the internet is full of complaints.

Tourism Thai Style

Did you not read the article?  It said it will be closed for another two years.  So how is that "wanting a lot and wanting them to pay a lot"?  They.  Have.  Extended.  The.  Closure.  For.  Another.  Two.  Years.

Some people just need to pop up and bash on every single thread.  Jus waiting for the first brown envelope and TM 30 comment then this thread will be complete and we can all move on to bash again on the next one.

34 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Did you not read the article?  It said it will be closed for another two years.  So how is that "wanting a lot and wanting them to pay a lot"?  They.  Have.  Extended.  The.  Closure.  For.  Another.  Two.  Years.

Some people just need to pop up and bash on every single thread.  Jus waiting for the first brown envelope and TM 30 comment then this thread will be complete and we can all move on to bash again on the next one.

And exactly how many places in Thailand are closed like that beach and how many places are already totally ruined and/or the locals do their best to sell it out until it's ruined?

When I was first in Thailand in 1994 I remember they had the rule for Phi Phi island that there should be no hotels or restaurants, just day trip tourists. Yeah, that was a long time ago and look how it looks now. Could anybody predict that? Yes, of course! 

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And exactly how many places in Thailand are closed like that beach and how many places are already totally ruined and/or the locals do their best to sell it out until it's ruined?

When I was first in Thailand in 1994 I remember they had the rule for Phi Phi island that there should be no hotels or restaurants, just day trip tourists. Yeah, that was a long time ago and look how it looks now. Could anybody predict that? Yes, of course! 

Seems like you are not a fan of the Thais. Might be worth moving on.

14 minutes ago, jakestevernson said:
46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Seems like you are not a fan of the Thais. Might be worth moving on.

Obviously I should ignore comments like that.

But because it's almost Christmas I will do something good and try to explain it to you.

I don't like it when people, of any region, nationality, age, etc. ruin the environment. Thais invite tourists from all over the world to Thailand. Some of those tourists care and they don't ruin the environment. And some Thais care and do their best to limit the damage which others do and/or repair what damage was already done. But there are unfortunately lots of tourists and lots of Thais who don't care.

If people like me and many others point that out again and again then there is a higher chance that something will change. Maybe a few more tourists and maybe a few more Thais will care. And hopefully, after a while, lots of people will care about the environment.

Then people like you, who don't criticize environmental destruction but who criticize the people who point that out, will also be able to enjoy nature.

I hope you understand above. If not, read it again, and again...

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Like: We want a lot and we want that they all pay a lot.

And we don't care about the environment until it's so bad that the internet is full of complaints.

Tourism Thai Style

Sweeping statement on all of Thai Tourism.

So much 'hating going on'.

Good luck with the move home.

It would be nice to think this action indicates that better long-term management of Thailand's marine resources will become a norm instead of an exception implemented only when the situation gets to an extreme. 

Unfortunately, I'm not even confident that they'll be successful in keeping greedy business people from creeping back to this location (with the assistance of brown envelopes) within a year and destroy even more beauty. 

4 hours ago, jakestevernson said:

Good luck with the move home.

Good luck living in a polluted country full of people hell bent on destroying what’s left of it.

The smart ones are moving on. The desperate ones are staying.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

closed like that beach and

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually about 95% of their protected areas (parks) are closed to the public. Which (according to wiki) covers 20% of the Total Thai land area.

But I do agree with you that theres has been an almost systematic destruction of virtually everything else in the last 50 years.

Yadon Toploy,

I also live here.

My point is that constructive criticism is fine and needed, but the hating on Thailand, Thai's and sweeping generalisations are lazy and not needed.

This board provides a wealth of helpful information, but sadly some board members really are incredibly negative to Thailand. Hence my comment if you are not happy, good luck with the move home.

I first came here in  the late 90s and overall I have seen many improvements and advancements in Thailand. Sure some negatives, but on the whole many improvements. Ultimately I am guest here and the day I feel that the negatives outweight the positives, I will go home, rather than become bitter, negative and make sweeping statements. 

Happy Christmas all and enjoy the sun!

Archived