merry Xmas. Do you miss your family/friends?

Yinn

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No its not.. Educate yourself before you post... 

Maybe you need to learn something, read my post # 19. Coca Cola company did give the current design of Santa Claus and the post shows how and when.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

not really. when i go home i get tired of answering all my sister's friend's husband's questions about "What is it really like?"

i would just like to take a moment of your time to remind you all we are in a fight for the soul of this forum.

Don't be deceived.  Vote NCC1701A for POTY. 

Ive already voted for you twice........................ooooops!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, murraynz said:

Maybe that would help to give you some Xmas spirit.

don't you think it would be awkward ? they are buddhists, they don't understand Xmas spirit, they may think you are looking down on them and may feel offended

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, murraynz said:

How about giving to a local kids charity.. Maybe that would help to give you some Xmas spirit.

don't you think it would be awkward ? they are buddhists, they don't understand Xmas spirit, they may think you are looking down on them and may feel offended

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't miss my family.

And my best friends are my current friends where I live.

Sure, it's nice to keep contact with people with whom we grew up with and if we like some of our family members then stay in touch with them.

But I think it's preferable to live in the here and now and not in the imaginary good times in the past.

And about x-mas: It should be renamed to shopping-and-eating-season or pretend-all-is-fine-season.

I never know if I should laugh or get angry when I see huge Christmas trees in front of shopping malls in Thailand in November. Shopping, shopping shopping - what a crazy season.

I agree 100% ... Shop shop shop ... At the moment I am working in China ...  and here they also talk about x-mas ...  Just another marketing ploy. 

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not Xmas- it's Christmas, the celebration of the birth of Christ. IMO it should not be a holiday in Thailand because Buddhists don't believe in Jesus.

It shouldn't be a holiday in any western country either, because most people are not Christians.

If they want a holiday, at least be honest and call it something else.

All it is now is a pagan festival, which is what it used to be before the Christians co opted it.

Christmas day is not normally a holiday in Thailand and certainly not in rural Thailand. My son will be going to school as normal and we don't celebrate it here.

I celebrated the winter solstice on my own today as I am not a Christian anyway. I stopped believing  decades ago when I was old enough and smart enough to think for myself.

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/common/christmas-day

About Christmas Day
Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, who Christians believe is the son of God. His birth date is unknown because there is little information about his early life. There is disagreement among scholars on when Jesus was born. Christians celebrate Jesus’ birthday on December 25. Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas Day on or near January 7.

The word “Christmas” comes from the old English “Cristes maesse”, or the mass of Christ. It is likely that the Christmas date of December 25 was chosen to offset the Pagan celebrations of Saturnalia and Natalis Invicti. It it also possible that the celebration of the birth of the “true light of the world” was set at the time of the December solstice because this is when the days in the northern hemisphere begin to grow longer. Christmas holiday customs derive from various cultures, including Teutonic, Celtic, Roman, West Asian and Christian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No its not.. Educate yourself before you post... 

Please follow your own advice, Sir. A very helpful poster made that easy by linking video with brief history of Coca Cola's involvement in creating Santa's look as it is today. It just takes a few minutes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not Xmas- it's Christmas, the celebration of the birth of Christ. IMO it should not be a holiday in Thailand because Buddhists don't believe in Jesus.

It shouldn't be a holiday in any western country either, because most people are not Christians.

If they want a holiday, at least be honest and call it something else.

All it is now is a pagan festival, which is what it used to be before the Christians co opted it.

Very cristian of you:whistling:

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

No. Thai people ok with Christmas.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm retiring in 10 days. 

Congratulations!

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The last thing Thailand needs is another holiday. :smile: 

Hmmm. 

I think it be the good one. Then can start the New Year Holiday early!!!

• Like 1

I always went home for Christmas when we lived full time in Thailand.

I couldn't imagine not seeing my girls at Christmas. I'm not terribly religious, but a Christmas service with my daughters is a little tradition.

Our usual routine is with have Christmas with my daughters, ex wife and her husband, then we fly out to Thailand for a couple of months.

This is the first year my wife is going back alone on the 26th for a month. I just couldn't be bothered to go back this year

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Xmas spirit and Christmas are two totally different things.

Xmas spirit has to do with the giving of gifts, having big parties where a lot of alcohol is involved, pushing other shoppers out of the way so you can get the things you want, etc.

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Unfortunately the gift giving and receiving is more celebrated than his birth these days.

• Confused 1