merry Xmas. Do you miss your family/friends?

Yinn

52 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

#1 I was not talking to you, I was telling the poster who didn't think Coca Cola had anything to do with the Santa Claus figure where he could find info.

#2 I think if you check I am the helpful poster who posted the video and link about Coca Cola company and Christmas

Apologies - I was referring to you as being the helpful poster. And yes, I understand that you were replying to Yinn first, and the poster who believed Coke had nothing to do with it. My response was also to that person, not to you. I have found the video interesting - knew about the ads but not about the man behind them. Thank you for posting that. It filled the missing pieces of the puzzle.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Santa is not true?

The modern fantasy of "Santa Claus" and the images of him flying around in the air pulled by deer was actually created  in a commercial  by the Coca Cola  company. But the history is much older.

Maybe you have already looked  but this might help if you have the time to translate.

https://www.coca-colacompany.com/au/news/definitive-history-of-santa-claus

Happy  Holidays.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Your statements tell alot about you " then you have mother's day, father's day, birthdays etc, etc, all there to make you spend money."   Make you spend money ? I had love for my parents and love my daughter and gran kids , cousins. some GF's and my wife.   Don't really need a holiday to sometime show my appreciation and love for them by giving a gift, money, party,trip ,ect. 

17 hours ago, Yinn said:

No. Thai people ok with Christmas.

I love seeing Thai people happily listening to Christmas carols (songs) when they don't understand the words. Often the words are proclaiming Christ to be the only and true saviour. In other words Buddah is a false prophet.

If Thais understood I wonder if they would accept what is being sung?

13 minutes ago, mngmn said:

I love seeing Thai people happily listening to Christmas carols (songs) when they don't understand the words. Often the words are proclaiming Christ to be the only and true saviour. In other words Buddah is a false prophet.

Buddha not a prophet.

13 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Is about a deer with a red nose. The other deer teasing him. So Santa (jai dee maak) say he can be the leader.

Then everyone like him.

Correct?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Lovely story. 

thankyou

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Christmas Is just that, a time for family and friends to reconnect,For most of as it has little to do with religion. And those who scream the name of the lord the loudest are the ones that follow his morality the least. 

yes, very good story, I take it you are not a Trump fan?  However, he did save christmas and thanksgiving by the way.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Santa is not true?

You decide:

There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the world. However, since Santa does not visit children of Muslim, Hindu,
Jewish or Buddhist (except maybe in Japan) religions, this reduces the workload for Christmas night to 15% of the total, or 378 million
(according to the population reference bureau). At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that comes to 108 million homes,
presuming there is at least one good child in each. Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones
and the rotation of the earth, assuming east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. This is to say
that for each Christian household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the
chimney, fill the stocking, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the
chimney, jump into the sleigh and get onto the next house.

Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will
accept for the purposes of our calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not
counting bathroom stops or breaks. This means Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second--3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes
of comparison, the fastest man made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second, and a conventional reindeer can
run (at best) 15 miles per hour.

The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium sized LEGO set (two
pounds), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousands tons, not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than
300 pounds. Even granting that the "flying" reindeer can pull 10 times the normal amount, the job can't be done with eight or even nine of
them---Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly
seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).

600,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a
spacecraft reentering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would adsorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second
each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms
in their wake.  The entire reindeer team would be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second, or right about the time Santa reached
the fifth house on his trip. Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 650 m.p.s. in
.001 seconds, would be subjected to acceleration forces of 17,000 g's. A 250 pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned
to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.

Therefore, if Santa did exist, he's dead now.

Merry Christmas
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Buddha not a prophet.

Christians would call him one.

Is about a deer with a red nose. The other deer teasing him. So Santa (jai dee maak) say he can be the leader.

Then everyone like him.

Correct?

"Dingle Bell" is just one of many Christmas Carols a lot of which are of a religious nature. Look up the lyrics to "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" on Google and report back.

Edited by mngmn

41 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Christians would call him one.

"Dingle Bell" is just one of many Christmas Carols a lot of which are of a religious nature. Look up the lyrics to "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" on Google and report back.

Have.....

On 12/21/2019 at 2:34 PM, Tony125 said:
On 12/21/2019 at 2:00 PM, richard_smith237 said:
On 12/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, tomazbodner said:

Yes, it should be called Coca Cola holiday. That's who designed Santa that awful red and white outfit...

No its not.. Educate yourself before you post... 

Maybe you need to learn something, read my post # 19. Coca Cola company did give the current design of Santa Claus and the post shows how and when.

You are correct - I read your #19 post and you have correctly identified that the Colours of Saint Nicolas are indeed red with white trim. However, Coca Cola were not the ones to personify Father Christmas / Santa Claus in his current guise. There are numerous publications depicting Santa in his modern guise which predate Coca Cola's 1931 depiction of Santa.

That Coca Cola is responsible for Santa Claus as we currently know him is a common myth, a marketing masterstroke by Coca Cola perhaps who have most definitely contributed to the modern view of Santa Claus, but through spreading a pre-existing 'image' rather than creating it. 

Example: Santa Claus as illustrated by Frank A. Nankivell in Puck, v. 52, no. 1344 (December 3 1902)

Also note: The informative video posted by you [Tony125] is actually made or sponsored by Coca Cola, so it conveniently ignores pre-existing modern depictions of Santa Clause. 

Coca Cola did not create the 'modern Santa Clause' (The friendly rotund, white bearded fellow clothed in red-and-white garb with large black buckle), but they did popularize that image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_suit

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Well here is something to ponder

Stories of little kids of believing in Santa age asking what they did to upset Santa because he gave their friend an I phone and they got socks and a jacket!!!

So sad

I feel it is better to just be good to your kids all the time and teach them to understand when money is tight things must wait and that they benefit when it is plentiful

I enjoyed Christmas as a child real family occasion, love seeing my siblings even now but things are different these days, as my family in Thailand do not celebrate Christmas and I am not there, kids are at school then I don't push it

Edited by 473geo

Christmas is great. Buddhists everywhere celebrate the coming of

Jesus and the liberation of Mecca from the pagans. Buddha ,Jesus and Mohammed then took a magic carpet ride to the sea of Galilee, walked right across it , established Jerusalem and together wrote the Dhammapadda, from where it was taken to the temple of Solomon and consecrated by the Jews as the holy of holiest since which time it has been celebrated in December. A magical time when humans can ruminate on how tedious life would be without blind faith.

Jingle all the way on your sleigh to Nana or soi 6.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO it should not be a holiday in Thailand because Buddhists don't believe in Jesus.

And where have you seen that it is a holiday in Thailand. I guess you would do very good in checking the calendar before posting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Hi geo.

i try to make this positive thread topic about see family and old friend together at Christmas. Social.  Same Thai people do new year and songkran. 

Happy time in life.

But is now a religion argument, and argument who invented Santa. And then some say Thai like Christmas because money (is a western idea buy gift, Santa, not Thai.)

And one guy angry because I say Xmas, not Christmas. Not my word. 

And think it holiday in Thailand.

55555555 Amazing TVF Fight about Christmas!!!

Merry Christmas everyone

You could have made it a Poll... 

Just a Yes or No answer - but that would have been a boring thread about how the poll should have included more options.... :coffee1:

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You could have made it a Poll... 

Just a Yes or No answer - but that would have been a boring thread about how the poll should have included more options.... :coffee1:

Your first answer was very nice

Thankyou

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Hi geo.

i try to make this positive thread topic about see family and old friend together at Christmas. Social.  Same Thai people do new year and songkran. 

Happy time in life.

But is now a religion argument, and argument who invented Santa. And then some say Thai like Christmas because money (is a western idea buy gift, Santa, not Thai.)

And one guy angry because I say Xmas, not Christmas. Not my word. 

And think it holiday in Thailand.

55555555 Amazing TVF Fight about Christmas!!!

Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas Yinn I hope you have a lovely time with your family and friends

I guess people mellow a little at Christmas and try to extend the season of goodwill to all men/women which is good

I think on Tvisa not so much fighting as highlighting different opinion

Perhaps even the Santa hat does not fit all ????

A Christmas tale from Chanthaburi.

This photo was taken at the Laem Sing refugee camp, Ko Proet, Chanthaburi coast,  (about 20km from our home) in 1980, refugees here mainly Vietnamese Christians fleeing persecution, but also Cambodian and Chinese. 

Photo gets a mention in a recenty published book, The People We Wanted To Forget by Michael Harpold (his photo)

tumblr_pmh04x3Mbf1r4rbn5_1280.jpg

From the book:

Built by the refugees themselves, it served as both a church and a school. Three weeks after Christmas, the decorations remained up.

"They're all we have" the refugees told the author.

"This is the Baptist church. There's a Catholic church also. They use the buildings as schools too. Some if the refugees are teachers. They never stop teaching their kids. They have English classes for the adults too"

Happy Christmas everyone.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 2

Have celebrated christmas in Florida, Spain, Dubai, and Thailand, but the last 15 years I have celebrated home, and It is always good to come back home for christmas to see family. 

But when my mom i passed away, I think I will stay in Thailand if I am not going for work at those times. 

Do not get better than this ????

9CEAF229-D589-4975-942A-AAFDDFC4149A.jpeg

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, mngmn said:

Why do you refer to the Buddha as a "prophet"? I'm sure he would have disagreed with you. The Buddha was a man that saw the ills in the world and sought the path to Nirvana. Far as I know he didn't make any prophecies.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

As for the Thais, a nation that worships Hindu gods among others but proclaims itself Buddhist has no problem fitting pagan festivals and myths into its rich fabric of life.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yesterday I go Tesco in Phangnga 

Many staff at the Tesco are young Muslim girls. They where the Muslim headscarf.

Yesterday Tesco play this Xmas song and the staff have Christmas T-shirt and Santa hat on top the headscarf. 

Make me smile to see that. Religion not need be serious, we can all be friendly together.

Santa and T shirts have nothing to do with religion, but have a happy holiday.