Mazda CX30

Rdrokit

It is quite sure that it will come to Thailand but I didn't find anything more precise than "2020".

In a way it is already here.

A Thai news article claims to show camouflage cars spotted somewhere in Chonburi. I send you the link to the article via PM.

CX-30%204.jpg

CX-30%203.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I test-drove the CX-30 today- I really liked it, and the top-spec (~1.2m) has a really good safety/electronics package- the issue I had with it was the same thing that's noted in the reviews (which are mostly very positive), which was the small rear seat.  My wife is only 155cm, and she wasn't able to get comfortable in the back (and she's not a complainer).  If I were single or didn't have a kid to transport (as well as the occasional full-sized adult) in the back, I think I would have bought it- it handles well, the 165hp the engine puts out moves it along just fine, and overall it feels 'tight'- it was just too small for my needs.

I'm likely going to buy a CX-5 (I like Mazda and have owned them in LOS before with good results) as I need a bit more space, but that CX-30 is a really nice vehicle (much better than the CX-3, IMHO)- it looks good, too.

27 minutes ago, flare said:

I test-drove the CX-30 today- I really liked it, and the top-spec (~1.2m) has a really good safety/electronics package- the issue I had with it was the same thing that's noted in the reviews (which are mostly very positive), which was the small rear seat.  My wife is only 155cm, and she wasn't able to get comfortable in the back (and she's not a complainer).  If I were single or didn't have a kid to transport (as well as the occasional full-sized adult) in the back, I think I would have bought it- it handles well, the 165hp the engine puts out moves it along just fine, and overall it feels 'tight'- it was just too small for my needs.

I'm likely going to buy a CX-5 (I like Mazda and have owned them in LOS before with good results) as I need a bit more space, but that CX-30 is a really nice vehicle (much better than the CX-3, IMHO)- it looks good, too.

I agree. We are now in a 2014 Mazda 3 and the wife wants an SUV with more room than the 3. She thought there was less room in the back seat of the CX-30 than our 3. She did like the top spec CX-5 which has the 2.5 liter turbo engine with AWD. Has every bell & whistle including ventilated seats. With a price of 1.85 million is should give you a BJ. lol Need to sell the 3 first but I am leaning towards the CX-5.

Yeah- I test-drove the top-spec CX-5 with the 'big' engine (231hp) as well, and I definitely agree that the 1.85m price was way more than it was worth (though it was nice, of course).   I'm gonna try to get them to deal a bit on the 'Skyactiv 2.0 SP' version currently at 1.56m (I need all the safety bell-and-whistles, though more for the wife than me).  They're not selling many SUVs since the shutdown, and they might give a bit more than they usually would.  

While the atmosphere the last few months has been pretty bad, it's a good time to buy a car as dealerships are pretty hungry.

34 minutes ago, flare said:

Yeah- I test-drove the top-spec CX-5 with the 'big' engine (231hp) as well, and I definitely agree that the 1.85m price was way more than it was worth (though it was nice, of course).   I'm gonna try to get them to deal a bit on the 'Skyactiv 2.0 SP' version currently at 1.56m (I need all the safety bell-and-whistles, though more for the wife than me).  They're not selling many SUVs since the shutdown, and they might give a bit more than they usually would.  

While the atmosphere the last few months has been pretty bad, it's a good time to buy a car as dealerships are pretty hungry.

Yes they are willing to deal. The salesman said he would knock off 50,000 off the 1.85.

There are also some leftover, never-been-registered (meaning the warranty starts as if new) 2018 CX-5 top-spec models (with the 2.0 engine) in the dealer network- except for some minor changes (like a sunroof, which appeals to me in Thailand about as much as a robotic arm that pops out of the steering wheel and hits you in the nuts), it's nearly identical- I'm also looking at one of these if I can work a steep enough discount.  If not, I'll go for a 2020.

I should note I also drove the top-spec MG HS (a friend just bought a base HS and said I should take a look as he really likes it), which is aimed at the CX-5, but for just over 1m- the interior was really good- the two-toned seats looked great (the Mazda interiors are kind of dead looking), the electronics and large touch-screen were excellent, and the engine was actually better than I expected (the turbo-lag mentioned in many reviews wasn't bad at all)- that said, it's sprung so soft I couldn't deal with it, and the wife in the (extremely roomy) back seat practically got tossed to the opposite side from which she was sitting during fast lane changes- I took one quick turn, and the body roll was significant- where the Mazdas were 'tight', the MG was 'loose'.  It's too bad, because for the price I REALLY wanted to like it...  With better suspension, the HS might be worth buying at its current price (though that's said without the benefit of knowing how the HS holds up after a few years)- MG has upped their game a bit with it, though they're still behind Japan in overall quality.  If you're out kicking tires and you're near an MG dealership, take it for a ride just for the hell of it.  The CX-5 is way better, but it should be for another ~500k.

Edited by flare

For us it was a toss up between the CX5 and the CRV but we have come down on the side of the CRV after many hours of deliberations.

Just waiting for the updated (face lift) of the CRV which should be any day now

7 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

For us it was a toss up between the CX5 and the CRV but we have come down on the side of the CRV after many hours of deliberations.

The CRV has a CVT transmission and only about 170 hp out of the 2.4 liter engine. I would never buy a car with a CVT.  Reliability questions and very expensive to repair. Just MHO. The CX-5 has a 6 speed transmission and 231 hp from the 2.5 engine. I read somewhere that if you put high grade petrol in the 2.5 it can get as much as 250 hp.

I have test driven a CX-5 twice ... yes quite nice. But I prefer our now nearly five years old 3.2L Everest, in all that time it has been almost trouble free. Put the third row of seats down and quite a lot of space...put the rear seats down and the space is huge. OK it uses quite some more fuel than a CX-5 but you get a lot more of everything for your money.

Definitely worth a test drive....

I've driven the Everest- it's a nice vehicle, but I don't want a pick-up based SUV as I want a different suspension and a benzine engine option (I believe the Everest only comes with a 2.0 diesel these days)- it's super-roomy, but a but bigger than I need (it's closer to the CX-8). 

Edited by flare

On 5/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, Rdrokit said:

Yes they are willing to deal. The salesman said he would knock off 50,000 off the 1.85.

Mazda can knock off 100K, but just check their interest rates of the principal-  I think it' over 3.5%. Or you could get a small discount with a low interest rate. They may be getting desperate now, so many ou can haggle more out of them. 

On 5/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, canopus1969 said:

The 2.4 in the crv has been around many years, with improvements over each generation. Yes, there should be a minor crv out this year, depending on covid. It will most likely have the honda sensing system and some cosmetic changes. I have the 1.6 diesel awd version with I quite like. Not exciting to drive but its very comfortable over bad Thai flooded roads. At least it doesn't have the cvt:)

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

Mazda can knock off 100K, but just check their interest rates of the principal-  I think it' over 3.5%. Or you could get a small discount with a low interest rate. They may be getting desperate now, so many ou can haggle more out of them. 

They're offering me 1.99% (the salesman said 'Our interest rate is under 2%!'- yeah, that .01% will save me an extra 10 baht per month????).  

I've basically got a deal on a new 2018 2.0 Skyactiv SP- at this point I'm holding out for some accessories (the sticking point is the spoiler- their selling price for it is 55K, which is nuts- obviously it costs the dealership way less than that, but I was really surprised at that number.  They'll toss in pretty much everything else, but they're holding out on the spoiler- I'll find out today what they're willing to do for me.

Wife put a deposit on top spec CX-30 as she wants to pay cash and it's about 500,000 baht cheaper than the top spec CX-5. Since she does most of the driving I am letting her pic which ever car she wants. lol

You can't go wrong with the CX-30- if it had a bit more room in the back I would have bought one as I really liked it- when the wife needs a new car in a couple years, I'm going to look at it again as something a bit smaller than the CX-5 would be fine for her (or maybe give her the CX-5 and keep the CX-30 for myself).

Edited by flare

Looking at the price and specs again the CX-30 is actually over 600,000 baht cheaper (1,209,000 vs 1,850,000) and the only accessory it lacks to the top spec CX-5 is ventilated seats and of course the 2.5 liter turbo engine. 

That's a lot of money for an extra 69hp (162hp to 231hp)- now, if the engine put out 331hp, I might not have been able to resist it (of course, the strange Thai import tariffs based on power output would likely have bumped the price up even more).  If you don't need the extra space in the rear, I think you made the right move- the top-spec CX-30 is loaded with features, and it looks great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flare said:

OK- made a deal and sent a deposit- I should have my red CX-5 next week. 

I love the red Mazdas. I have the Mazda 2, but when I bought it in 2018, they wouldn't even throw in the SD card for navigation. They wanted a ridiculous sum of around 15,000 baht, so I use the wife to navigate instead, although she frequently confuses her left with her right. ????

1 hour ago, flare said:

That's a lot of money for an extra 69hp (162hp to 231hp)- now, if the engine put out 331hp, I might not have been able to resist it (of course, the strange Thai import tariffs based on power output would likely have bumped the price up even more).  If you don't need the extra space in the rear, I think you made the right move- the top-spec CX-30 is loaded with features, and it looks great.

I agree, not worth the price difference. I think the 2 liter engine puts out 165 hp.

Yesterday I have been at Mazda and took a look in the CX-30. I would never buy it was my very quick decision. So much hard plastic everywhere. For this price I expected a much better interior. The CX-5 has a better quality, but instead of it I would take the offer from BMW Barcelona Motors for a brand new BMW X1 for 1.99 MB, reduced from 2.4 or 2.5 MB. But this offer will end at May 31st so far I remember. 

13 hours ago, yankee99 said:

The HS seems to have a larger rear storage are than the mazda?

or is it a illusion 

According to some UK sites, the HS has 463 cubic liters to the CX-5's 503 cubic liters (non-metric that's 31.9 cubic feet rear seats up, 59.6 rear seats down, which is on the low side for its class- that's about 20% less than the CR-V).  

As I noted, the HS was surprisingly nice inside- I played around with the switches, buttons, and doodads for a few minutes before test-driving it, and I was impressed (I also liked the two-toned interior)- I thought to myself, 'If I like how this drives, it's going to be a contender.'  Nope- the engine was OK (not great, but better than I had expected based on the reviews) and felt faster than 162hp, but the ride was just too soft- if they improve the suspension and keep it under 1.1mil (I think with the discount they were offering- and before I unleashed the wife on them- the price was 1,040,000 baht), it would be a good deal (depending on how it holds up over time- the jury is still out on that as it's a new model).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 12:34 PM, flare said:

First off, the CX-5 is not just a bigger engine compared to the CX-30. Its a much bigger car since the CX-30 is more or less a raised Mazda 3 with slightly more head room. When I looked at both of these cars, I fell in love with the CX-5 since it's more of an SUV as far as style and practicality but I was looking for a family car with some style. 

I feel like they hurt the overall look of the CX-30 with that excessive plastic cladding. I know why they did it but for a company that has put so much effort into building up their brand as "affordable luxury" it's baffling to me why they thought it was a good idea because it creates a very confusing looking exterior, it cheapens the look. You'd have to get the machine grey paint color to make the cladding look less obscene. I'm concerned that it will hurt resale value.

With all of that being said, the CX-30 is an overall great car for the price. it drove smoothly, was quite, felt like a much more expensive car on the road and the interior design is stunning. If you can get past the cladding, its the best car in that price range IMOP but to be honest, thats not saying a whole lot since the main competior is the Honda HRV. But, if you have the money, I'd recommend going with the CX-5. 

21 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

First off, the CX-5 is not just a bigger engine compared to the CX-30. Its a much bigger car since the CX-30 is more or less a raised Mazda 3 with slightly more head room. When I looked at both of these cars, I fell in love with the CX-5 since it's more of an SUV as far as style and practicality but I was looking for a family car with some style. 

I feel like they hurt the overall look of the CX-30 with that excessive plastic cladding. I know why they did it but for a company that has put so much effort into building up their brand as "affordable luxury" it's baffling to me why they thought it was a good idea because it creates a very confusing looking exterior, it cheapens the look. You'd have to get the machine grey paint color to make the cladding look less obscene. I'm concerned that it will hurt resale value.

With all of that being said, the CX-30 is an overall great car for the price. it drove smoothly, was quite, felt like a much more expensive car on the road and the interior design is stunning. If you can get past the cladding, its the best car in that price range IMOP but to be honest, thats not saying a whole lot since the main competior is the Honda HRV. But, if you have the money, I'd recommend going with the CX-5. 

I know (as I noted earlier in the thread, I test-drove the CX-30 and liked it, but it was too small for my needs)- there's a brand-new red CX-5 parked in my driveway- it was delivered last week.;)

BAF21-F00-5000-4152-8688-DADDFC5676-CC.j

Edited by flare

2 hours ago, flare said:

I know (as I noted earlier in the thread, I test-drove the CX-30 and liked it, but it was too small for my needs)- there's a brand-new red CX-5 parked in my driveway- it was delivered last week.;)

BAF21-F00-5000-4152-8688-DADDFC5676-CC.j

Those Rims look like the Ice Cream Wafers from Svensons.