Ex-minister Thawee accused of trying to flee the scene after a road accident

webfact

Ex-minister Thawee accused of trying to flee the scene after a road accident

%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B5.jpg

Former cabinet minister Thawee Kraikupt allegedly tried to flee the scene of a car-motorcycle crash, in Potharam district of Ratchaburi province on Saturday, in which a 16-year old boy was injured.

Rescue workers claimed that the driver of the Mercedes Benz, with Bangkok license plates, the owner of which was identified as Thawee Kraikupt, father of Palang Pracharat MP Pareena, tried to flee the scene, but car’s path was blocked by an emergency service pickup truck about 300 metres from the scene.

The accident occurred at an intersection near an irrigation canal bridge on the Potharam Hospital-Ban Kong road. According to the police, Thawee had been driving from Potharam, while the boy, identified simply as ‘Ek’, was riding a motorcycle on the right side of the road. Upon reaching the intersection, Thawee made a right turn while the motorcyclist attempted to cross the bridge and the two vehicles collided.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ex-minister-thawee-accused-of-trying-to-flee-the-scene-after-a-road-accident/

thaipbs.jpg

This is great. Karma is delivered at the time of christmas. As read in the Thai news, this family is fantastic. Her father have a car accident, and hisdaughter Paveena goes outwith that her father does not drive so good as an excuse.

Fair question: What is he doing behind the wheel then?

Her father excuse Paveena in the chicken farm scandal that she have been out of the country for 14 years, so she do not speak Thai so good.

Fair question: What is she doing in thegovenment then?

Summary: As I thought it was mandatory to speak Thai sitting in the government, as well as is should be impossible to use the excuse bad driver having an accident behind the wheel. This is the family of all the bad excuses.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Former cabinet minister Thawee Kraikupt allegedly tried to flee the scene of a car-motorcycle crash, in Potharam district of Ratchaburi province on Saturday, in which a 16-year old boy was injured.

A Thai trait which is very sad.

Real men own up to the problems they cause in life. We take responsibility and deal with the consequences. Small men, and people who appear to be fully mature, but actually possess the emotional development of a 13 year old flee from a crime, and deny that which they have caused. It is behavior which in it's essence is the opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches reflection, contemplation, meditation and looking inward and getting to know thyself. All contrary to trying to save face.

The second issue here, is that there is no real crime, called fleeing from the scene of a crime. So, until that deterrent is put into place, cowards have little incentive to change their behavior. 

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Real men own up to the problems they cause in life. We take responsibility and deal with the consequences. Small men, and people who appear to be fully mature, but actually possess the emotional development of a 13 year old flee from a crime, and deny that which they have caused. It is behavior which in it's essence is the opposite of the practice of Buddhism, which teaches reflection, contemplation, meditation and looking inward and getting to know thyself. All contrary to trying to save face.

The second issue here, is that there is no real crime, called fleeing from the scene of a crime. So, until that deterrent is put into place, cowards have little incentive to change their behavior. 

All about saving face mate.

A girl, early 20's was eating at a table near ours. She'd seen us park next to her car when arriving. She finished her meal and left. While reversing out she turned to soon and clipped our car. Sped off quickly before anyone noticed. She was well dressed, nice car. But wouldn't come and admit what she did. That would make her loose face.

Idiot driving between outside lane and carriageway barrier to try and beat a traffic jam, speeding, clipped my wing mirror. I chased him for 2-3 km before finally making his stop. Flashed lights, hazard lights, honking, driving alongside waving - all completely ignored till we got in front and blocked his way. He denied it at first till we compared damage to the two cars. Then said he couldn't remember. He'd "forgot" to renew his insurance and only finally admitted and sorted things when my insurance guy suggested going to the police station. He was a very unhappy dude that he'd had to admit and be responsible for what he'd done. His recklessness.

Coupe of weeks ago someone on one of those rickety motor bike and home made sidecars hit the wing mirror of our parked car. Must've been going fast because it demolished the mirror and debris ended up middle of the road. My wife was in her friend's shop which is next to a motor bike shop. The person who did the damage sped away and one of the motor bike shop guys chased him and tried to catch him. He said he saw them turn down a small soi and when he followed there was no sign of them. He didn't fancy asking any of the neighbors where they'd gone - don't blame him.  The damage maker probably had no license, no insurance and no money to pay for the damage they caused. So run and hide.

That's the mentality from top to bottom. Get away with what you can and save face at all times.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

All about saving face mate.

A girl, early 20's was eating at a table near ours. She'd seen us park next to her car when arriving. She finished her meal and left. While reversing out she turned to soon and clipped our car. Sped off quickly before anyone noticed. She was well dressed, nice car. But wouldn't come and admit what she did. That would make her loose face.

Idiot driving between outside lane and carriageway barrier to try and beat a traffic jam, speeding, clipped my wing mirror. I chased him for 2-3 km before finally making his stop. Flashed lights, hazard lights, honking, driving alongside waving - all completely ignored till we got in front and blocked his way. He denied it at first till we compared damage to the two cars. Then said he couldn't remember. He'd "forgot" to renew his insurance and only finally admitted and sorted things when my insurance guy suggested going to the police station. He was a very unhappy dude that he'd had to admit and be responsible for what he'd done. His recklessness.

Coupe of weeks ago someone on one of those rickety motor bike and home made sidecars hit the wing mirror of our parked car. Must've been going fast because it demolished the mirror and debris ended up middle of the road. My wife was in her friend's shop which is next to a motor bike shop. The person who did the damage sped away and one of the motor bike shop guys chased him and tried to catch him. He said he saw them turn down a small soi and when he followed there was no sign of them. He didn't fancy asking any of the neighbors where they'd gone - don't blame him.  The damage maker probably had no license, no insurance and no money to pay for the damage they caused. So run and hide.

That's the mentality from top to bottom. Get away with what you can and save face at all times.

Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. Get used to it. If you confront a Thai, they will engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, and own the problems they have caused, on any level. It is the polar opposite of the national religion, which teaches introspection, taking responsibility, and contemplation. Face is the opposite of all of that. 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. 

As many of us know, a percentage of the Thai population lives within fairly small boxes, of social convention, traditions and expectations, especially on the part of the family. That is not a life that some of us choose. Those that are bold and courageous, will find a way to break past conventions, and live a fulfilling life, based on their own choices, independence, and esteem. 

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Be fair, Running away or potential village lynch mob ? Easy choice

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A Thai trait which is very sad.

Having to run in case you are attacked by a mob, a Thai trait. Just part of the culture they are so proud of. Do people have to 'flee the scene' in any other country you know of? Maybe somewhere like India, I don't know, but not in any civilised country.

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. Get used to it. If you confront a Thai, they will engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, and own the problems they have caused, on any level. It is the polar opposite of the national religion, which teaches introspection, taking responsibility, and contemplation. Face is the opposite of all of that. 

Who cares what people think of you? For those of us with high self esteem, it just does not matter. Sure, close friends and family. But strangers on the street? Who gives a rat's butt about this? It means nothing what they think, nor what they say about you. Nothing, less than zero. They count for nothing. They are just people, and people you do not know, nor will ever see again. Face is rife with self doubt, and by subscribing to this weakness, and man or woman is made a far lesser person. 

As many of us know, a percentage of the Thai population lives within fairly small boxes, of social convention, traditions and expectations, especially on the part of the family. That is not a life that some of us choose. Those that are bold and courageous, will find a way to break past conventions, and live a fulfilling life, based on their own choices, independence, and esteem. 

As children we might act as Thais do, denying guilt. But long before our age reaches doubles figures most of us grow up and learn to accept responsibility. So many Thais don't mature beyond the age of seven.

As for your second paragraph, I've wondered why so many people, of all nationalities, get upset by what total strangers might say about them on the internet - including on this site. Who cares what someone you don't know, have never met and are not likely to meet, says about you. I was brought up with 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'. My thought was probably prompted by football players suffering on-line racial abuse. Why the fuss? Ignore those people. Why care what strangers think and say?

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Be fair, Running away or potential village lynch mob ? Easy choice

That's right, but many also flee because they have too much alcohol or drugs in the body;
they come to the police station when they are fasting so that police cannot detect them positive.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

This is great. Karma is delivered at the time of christmas. As read in the Thai news, this family is fantastic. Her father have a car accident, and hisdaughter Paveena goes outwith that her father does not drive so good as an excuse.

Fair question: What is he doing behind the wheel then?

Her father excuse Paveena in the chicken farm scandal that she have been out of the country for 14 years, so she do not speak Thai so good.

Fair question: What is she doing in thegovenment then?

Summary: As I thought it was mandatory to speak Thai sitting in the government, as well as is should be impossible to use the excuse bad driver having an accident behind the wheel. This is the family of all the bad excuses.

just need to have the right friends at the right place....could they be members of Prayut's gang

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As children we might act as Thais do, denying guilt. But long before our age reaches doubles figures most of us grow up and learn to accept responsibility. So many Thais don't mature beyond the age of seven.

As for your second paragraph, I've wondered why so many people, of all nationalities, get upset by what total strangers might say about them on the internet - including on this site. Who cares what someone you don't know, have never met and are not likely to meet, says about you. I was brought up with 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'. My thought was probably prompted by football players suffering on-line racial abuse. Why the fuss? Ignore those people. Why care what strangers think and say?

Very wise words indeed. I think it was all the years I spent in NYC, but I have skin thicker and tougher than an alligator. Insult me all you want. It just does not mean anything to me, unless you are a good friend, or family. Some people we know are not blessed with thick skin, and take everything personally. I think alot of it comes down to self esteem. I do believe that self loathing tends to make the skin thinner. And many Thais are not brought up with a real sense of self, as that does not seem to be a part of their culture. So, there is less self esteem, and the slightest little thing is taken personally. Real men and women simply do not behave like that. They know who they are, are not easily offended, do not take everything personally, and little things are like water off a ducks back. 

Archived