Visa and work in phuket

I have just recently come back from a short time in phuket and like many others i fell in love with the place and in particular a thai resident. I know it is difficult to obtain visa to stay in thailand for longer period then a tourist visa allows but any advice would be appreciated. ( marriage not being an option for us as we are the same sex).

Apply for a multiple Non Immigrant visa O class at the Thai Consulate in Hull......your purpose of visit is visiting friends   your friend should send you a letter of invitation and a copy of his passort or ID to evidence the purpose of visit for the Consul.

Work is not an option unless your friend can sort out a job for you in advance of arrival, and the employer writes a letter for you to give to the Consulate. Then you apply for a B visa.  A Non Immigrant visa enables you to enter Thailand an unlimited number of times in one year, and allows 90 day stays on each entry.

I'm in a similar situation where i'd like to move to Thailand and eventually find work. It is similar in that i have friends that live there that could potentially write a letter on my behalf. My previous plan was to get a 90 day tourist visa, and have a holiday until i found a legal job, and then proceeded to apply for the work permit, and change the status of my visa. I would much rather have the non-immigrant multiple entry visa.

What should a letter from a friend contain? The intent of the visit?  Perhaps financial details to prove that i wouldn't become a burden on the welfare system? I couldn't find an example template to follow for such a letter. Is there any risk, obligation, or in any way trouble associated with my friend writing such a letter? I don't want my friend to be blacklisted for having a documented association with an american, in case foreign relations to and from the US turn sour.

I am 25, a resident of the US, and my friends are in Chiang Mai. My goal is live in Chiang Mai, learn thai, and find work enabling me to live in the kingdom for at least a few years. I have enough saved to go without work for perhaps a year. Additionally, i'm able to use frequent flyer miles for the international flight, and change my return trip after I arrive. This is in case i can only obtain a tourist visa, need to make frequent visa runs, and need proof of  return travel within the time allowed for each stay.

Also (this is proving to be lengthy!), which embassy or consulate should i send my visa application to? I've done research and found that as i live in Texas, the Thai embassy is in Washington DC. However, there are also several Royal Thai Consulates in many states, including Texas. I've tried calling several offices, but either the receptionist is very busy (read: not helpful) or i can only leave a message on an answering machine (none of my messages have have been returned). I plan to make the move at the end of July, so, i'd like to take care of the necessary visa details soon without having my passport repeatedly returned with the visa requests denied.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

With the help of your friends in Thailand, enrol in a Thai language course. With a letter from the school,you should

be able to get a multi Non Immigrant visa. Easiest place

for you is the Thai Consulate in Houston, and it is visa

friendly.

Thanks for advice. Is it possible to go over on tourist visa and then find work whilst there and then apply for a change of visa whilst in the country. Also what do i need to show when applying for a non immigrant visa. Do i have to prove that i have money to support myself whilst there for 90 day duration.

Lots of good advice here!  I am also planning an extended stay in Thailand.  Probably not more than a year, but definitely longer than 90 days.  I do not plan on working while I am there.

I am male 27 and an American.  I have Thai friends in Thailand, including a buisness owner, and also have Thai friends who are here in Los Angeles working under H1-B's.

Are these all good candidates for "sponsers"?  Are any of them better than another as far as the Thai government might be concerned?

Also, can anyone recommend any good schools for an English speaker learning Thai in Thailand?  A school not in Bangkok would be preferable.

Thanks!

Richy,

You cannot change your visa status whilst being in Thailand. When you enter the Kingdom on a tourist visa and then find work, you would have to leave the country and go to a Thai consulate in a neighbouring country with a letter of the prospective employer offering you a job, and apply for a non immigrant B (business) visa which is necessary for obtaining a work permit in order to work legally.