AIS, True or dTac? Thailand's Mobile Data Plans Compared

ASEAN NOW Sales

AIS, True or dTac? Thailand's Mobile Data Plans Compared

mobile.png

This post is an excerpt of a longer article.

What do you want from a good data plan in Thailand?

The packages offered by Thailand’s leading companies usually include a bunch of free minutes and text messages. Do people still make hundreds of minutes of phone calls instead of using free VOIP services like Messenger, LINE, WhatsApp, FaceTime or Skype? There will be those whose businesses are heavily reliant on phone calls, so this addition might not be completely useless, though it perhaps takes a lower priority to such details as the amount of unused data you can roll over to the next month.

Some of the added bonuses can be quite helpful. Some packages include overseas data roaming - very helpful if you travel around a lot for work. Others include a Netflix subscription and a free copy of the mobile version of Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds - very useful if your job gives you a lot of free time.

What data plans do AIS offer?

The main packages available from AIS are tailored to different types of user. The NEXT G Flexi Speed package comes in three price tiers offering different amounts of 3G/4G data.

- 60 GB of data costs 750 baht per month

- 40 GB of data costs 550 baht per month

- 20 GB of data costs 450 baht per month

If you manage to use all of your 3G/4G allowance for the month, you will still have internet access, but at a much reduced rate of 384 kbps for those paying 750 baht and just 256 kbps for those paying less. All tiers get 200 minutes of call time.

As the name implies, the speed of your internet connection is also flexible and can be adjusted according to your needs, though this does not alter the cost of the package. That being the case, the purpose seems to be just to help incorrigible internet users ration their usage to make their data allowance last the full month.

Advantages to using AIS: Packages include a lot of data for a good price.

Disadvantages to using AIS: Unlimited data is not available without the gimmicky extras.

What data plans do True offer?

True have very specifically tuned packages which focus on providing the lowest possible cost for particular types of users. Their U-Max package, for example, is aimed at university students. It offers free data for social media apps including Facebook, Instagram, LINE, Twitter and TikTok. Addressing the aforementioned fact that kids don’t really use the ‘phone’ part of their phone anymore, instead favouring VOIP services like LINE, these packages come with no free minutes. There are three price tiers available.

- 50 GB of data costs 550 baht per month

- 40 GB of data costs 450 baht per month

- 20 GB of data costs 250 baht per month

Probably True’s best package is the 4G+ Super Net Unlimited, which boasts the “fastest speed with most data”. The speed is the standard for 4G - about 300 Mbps, which all 4G providers offer. As for the amount, there are six packages available ranging from a poultry 3 GB of data for 299 baht per month up to unlimited data for 1,099 baht per month, though the limitless data only lasts for the first 12 months. Again, none of the packages offer call time, instead boasting a pay-per-second rate of 1.80 baht per minute.

Advantages to using True: Unlimited data on social apps reflects typical phone usage.

Disadvantages to using True: Unlimited data is only unlimited for a year.

What data plans do dTac offer?

What helps dTac to really stand out from the competition is the addition of international data roaming in their packages - no doubt a result of dTac belonging to such a world-spanning organisation. The standard dTac GO package comes in eight price tiers, with steadily increasing amounts of call time, data and countries where 5 GB of data is free.

- 5 GB of data and 150 minutes costs 399 baht per month, with data only available in Thailand

- 10 GB of data and 200 minutes costs 499 baht per month, with free data in Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia

- 16 GB of data and 300 minutes costs 599 baht per month, with free data in Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia

- 20 GB of data and 300 minutes costs 699 baht per month, with free data in Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia

- 30 GB of data and 400 minutes costs 899 baht per month, with free data in 25 countries across Asia, Australia and the US

- Unlimited data and 700 minutes costs 1,099 baht per month, with free data in 25 countries across Asia, Australia and the US

- Unlimited data at 1,200 minutes costs 1,499 baht per month, with free data in 72 countries worldwide

- Unlimited data and unlimited calls costs 2,199 baht per month, with free data in 72 countries worldwide

Where dTac compares less favourably against its rivals is the choice of packages. The GO package is effectively the only post-paid option available, other than tariffs designed specifically for tablets.

Advantages to using dTac: Free data available in up to 72 countries worldwide, removing the need to buy a local SIM card when travelling.

Disadvantages to using dTac: Poor choice of packages and extras.

Which is the best mobile data plan in Thailand?

When picking the right mobile data plan for you, the first thing to calculate is how much data you will actually use. According to research, people in the Asia Pacific region currently use about 3.3 GB per month, but that’s expected to rise to 26 GB per month by 2024. Since that’s an awkward number to work with, we’ll round it down to 20 GB per month.

If this is the case, the clear winner is True. While the U-Max package may be primarily aimed at students, the fact that it provides 20 GB of 3G/4G data per month and free data on popular social media apps, all at the lowest price among its competitors, makes it an excellent choice.

However, that doesn’t mean that it’s safe to completely discount dTac and AIS. For starters, these two companies have the best service coverage around Thailand, so they can connect in places which True can’t reach. However, if you’re mostly going to be in and around the major tourist and expat hubs like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and others, this difference will be barely noticeable. On the other hand, the bonus features they offer - free data roaming overseas and comprehensive entertainment packages - do make them worth a second glance and, if that kind of thing particularly appeals to you, perhaps also a few more baht.

This post is an excerpt of a longer article from DeeMoney, Thailand’s payment provider. Exchange and send money to 14 countries, register via our app, website or in store. 

Send money to Australia, Bangladesh,  Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam from just 150 baht per transaction plus a foreign exchange fee.

DeeMoney serves as a hybrid solution that’s similar to both Transferwise and Western Union, yet distinguishable from both. Whilst TransferWise offers only digital transfers, and WesternUnion mainly cash transfers, DeeMoney is Thailand’s only service to provide both means of transferring money.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Which packet name I have to choose in the MyAIS app to get 20 Gb for one month?. I need it only one month and then I go home for 5 months. I use my sim now 4 months and I pay to much for 2 Gb 299 Bht. Is my sim still working when I come back?

23 hours ago, Max Brok said:

Which packet name I have to choose in the MyAIS app to get 20 Gb for one month?. I need it only one month and then I go home for 5 months. I use my sim now 4 months and I pay to much for 2 Gb 299 Bht. Is my sim still working when I come back?

Where have you seen someone state they get 20 GB on AIS? Wrong thread anyway.

Best deal now is for new SIM. Unlimited data at 4 Mbps 150 baht per month. Unlimited data at 10 Mbps 200 baht per month.

If you want to use existing SIM, packages are dependent on the age of your SIM. 

If you want to keep your SIM for later, do a load of 20 baht top ups at an AIS service centre.

16 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Best deal now is for new SIM. Unlimited data at 4 Mbps 150 baht per month. Unlimited data at 10 Mbps 200 baht per month.

If you want to keep your SIM for later, do a load of 20 baht top ups at an AIS service centre.

Why in a office? I do my topups always by bank app

18 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Is the best deal now with AIS?  If so Is it possible to transfer number from dtac sim to AIS sim?

On 1/22/2020 at 3:39 AM, Harveyg said:

Is the best deal now with AIS?  If so Is it possible to transfer number from dtac sim to AIS sim?

They all have that package. So you can choose any network if you will take a new SIM.

If you want to port a number, you'll have to check if the other network will accept it as a new SIM for when it comes to applying the aforementioned package. Truemove H will. Don't know about the others.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ireckonso said:

I have had the same dtac number for 11 years now, but this year seems coverage and service have def declined, let alone true and ais have much better deals now. Im going this weekend to switch providers.

DTAC has exactly the same deal. But if you are unhappy with coverage and service, them perhaps time to move on. 

You can port your number or just buy another SIM, keeping your old one active with the 2 baht per month of validity codes.

• 3 months later...

I always go to this website, they have all the plans listed. 

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Thailand

I just got the AIS 10MBPS unlimited for 200B, it's great.  I'm using it as a hotspot for my laptop and have already used 80GB in 2.5 weeks. 

I didn't see where DTAC has the same 10MPBS unlimited package., their unlimited packages were more.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, theWTD said:

I always go to this website, they have all the plans listed. 

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Thailand

I just got the AIS 10MBPS unlimited for 200B, it's great.  I'm using it as a hotspot for my laptop and have already used 80GB in 2.5 weeks. 

I didn't see where DTAC has the same 10MPBS unlimited package., their unlimited packages were more.

Not even close to "all the plans".

There was/is not even a trace of the 4/10 Mbps unlimited plans from any of the other networks. Only AIS.

So not at all comprehensive, nor up to date. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2020 at 3:29 PM, worldfun said:

yes the 2 best/real options were as usual not mentioned:

Spamming the same erroneous information here too? That's at least forur threads where you have posted misleadingly. You really should be more careful; checking the fact before you hit that Submit Reply button.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Does any of this thread still apply?

I'm looking for unlimited internet for my phone, including the ability to tether to a laptop. I'm somewhat less concerned about price than I am about function. Talk time and SMS are not important.

I'll be reentering Thailand this week for the first time in two years after having lived there 10 years+ pre-covid.

My stay this time will be for several months. I'll be entering as a tourist but will attempt to get a non-o as before.

What are my options? Thanks for any advice. I feel like a newbie after all this time away.

Edited by Paradise Pete
added sentence

10 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Does any of this thread still apply?

I'm looking for unlimited internet for my phone, including the ability to tether to a laptop. I'm somewhat less concerned about price than I am about function. Talk time and SMS are not important.

I'll be reentering Thailand this week for the first time in two years after having lived there 10 years+ pre-covid.

My stay this time will be for several months. I'll be entering as a tourist but will attempt to get a non-o as before.

What are my options? Thanks for any advice. I feel like a newbie after all this time away.

Which is best depends on who offers the best speed at your choice of location. 

At the moment, all offer Unlimited 20 Mbps month to month deals for 300 baht per month(dependent on whether you have the reception and available bandwidth at your accommodation) or unlimited 10 Mbps annual deals. One payment for the whole year; DTAC being the cheapest at 1390 baht.

Usual method is to buy a SIM you think might be good; then to run a speed test at your chosen accomodation.

If 20+ Mbps is available than subscribe to a 20 Mbps package. If only 10, then subscribe to a 10 Mbps package or try another network's SIM. 

I should add that it's actually TOT's SIM is the cheapest annually. Unlimited 'Max speed" data for a year @ 999 baht

You'll need to have capability for B40 LTE-TDD band and obviously reception at your accommodation.

https://totwirelessnet.com/Promotion/index

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, Bruno123 said:

Which is best depends on who offers the best speed at your choice of location. 

At the moment, all offer Unlimited 20 Mbps month to month deals for 300 baht per month(dependent on whether you have the reception and available bandwidth at your accommodation) or unlimited 10 Mbps annual deals. One payment for the whole year; DTAC being the cheapest at 1390 baht.

Usual method is to buy a SIM you think might be good; then to run a speed test at your chosen accomodation.

If 20+ Mbps is available than subscribe to a 20 Mbps package. If only 10, then subscribe to a 10 Mbps package or try another network's SIM. 

I should add that it's actually TOT's SIM is the cheapest annually. Unlimited 'Max speed" data for a year @ 999 baht

You'll need to have capability for B40 LTE-TDD band and obviously reception at your accommodation.

https://totwirelessnet.com/Promotion/index

Thank you for the detailed reply. It's a big help. I'm till jet-lagged (24 hours of travel plus 4 hours of post-arrival hoop-jumping). I will sort it out after a good sleep. Thanks again!

Bear in mind that they shops won't necessarily know about the deals posted here; so you might get a load of blank looks or just misinformation.

Not even service centres will have full info. Call centres will know. It may be you can only apply the Truemove H 20 Mbps deal through an agent. With the others you can simply apply a code. Buy 50 baht SIM from service centre, top up with 300 baht and apply the code for the 20 Mbps package.

AIS is probably the best bet for you if you cannot be bothered to run speed tests beforehand. 

On 12/24/2019 at 9:24 AM, aussie11950 said:

Interesting. 

I would like to see a similar survey on Internet providers for Fibre. 

We went with True for phones and internet and tv when we first came to Thailand - the service was frankly <deleted> with constant internet outages. So we changed to AIS and True demanded after 2 years with them that that we bundle up all their kit and give it back. No problem except one of the dogs had munched the remote for the channel changer for tv and we'd bought one in the local market to replace it.

True refused to take it, demanded the original one they owned - I told them to go <deleted> up a rope as the dogs had chewed it up and there was no way they'd ever issue it to anyone else anyway - they'd simply bin it. So they wanted paying for it in the 1000 baht range - same answer plus an invitation to immediately go for sex and travel because after all that time and offering a new modern unit I had done my bit! We cancelled everything with them and got the lot from AIS. We got a house phone line but never use it and don't even have a handset.

TV has far more channels than did True, Internet seldom drops and if it does they always send a text message to one of the mobiles indicating duration of outage. The cell phones run on the router during the day if at home so no need for massive data packages, internet is fibre right to the front door - literally. 

Repairs are free, example rats chewed the cable causing an outage, 2 guys turned up, spliced a piece of fibre into the damaged cable, re-routed it so rats couldn't reach it at my request, tested it all, advised that the tv box was now 4 years old and if we had any trouble to report it and they'd change and install for free, said their goodbyes and left.

We got a new expensive phone for my wife on a 6 month contract from them, after 6 months it became her property but the monthly rate with loads of data was little more than a sim only package. When the 6 months were up we cancelled it anyway, kept the phone and got a cheap low-data sim-only package. We are really pleased with AIS and recommend them heartily.

• Like 1