Frenchman accepts he was not extorted by Thai police - might have been his Thai/Indian friend instead

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BestB said:

Now it is claimed the friend and gf did the runner , so that means money was never paid to police ? And he was set free?

Yes, how do you explain that Matzzon ?  

Thonglor is mainly for Hi-So, or supposed to be Hi-So, and Japanese executives with family. 

Police and others may want to keep it this way. 

Despite I am not Hi-So, nor pretending to be, I never had a problem there when I stay for weeks/months. 

But I am 71+ and don't go out at night. 

Just now, luckyluke said:

Thonglor is mainly for Hi-So, or supposed to be Hi-So, and Japanese executives with family. 

Police and others may want to keep it this way. 

Despite I am not Hi-So, nor pretending to be, I never had a problem there when I stay for weeks/months. 

But I am 71+ and don't go out at night. 

nah nothing to do with that.

it's the main area for western expats plus sourrounding phrom phong and ekkamai. It's simply the place where most bars and restaurants are that aren't redlight... they are ripping off people here since forever.

But yes if you don't go out at night and you are 70 plus you might not notice it, i am in my 30s and i don't know a single person who never got ripped off by cops here, including 50 yo brits.

Tons of these reports: 

No matter what skin color, they ripp you off.

I was shaken down by Thonglor police 6 years ago and was convinced the cop was trying to plant drugs on me -   I managed to run into a nearby hotel and empty my bag and pockets in front of hotel security and a surveillance camera. Lucky escape from these scumbags. 

1 minute ago, Leef said:

I was shaken down by Thonglor police 6 years ago and was convinced the cop was trying to plant drugs on me -   I managed to run into a nearby hotel and empty my bag and pockets in front of hotel security and a surveillance camera. Lucky escape from these scumbags. 

Same <deleted> happened to my brit friend, except they also tried to steal and he escaped into queenspark plaza protected by hookers.

What an absurd country.

So who is who in the picture in this article. I don't see any French Computer Businessman, or any Thai indian.

I also don't see any police.

What I do see looks like a Tatooed Biker, and one of those Bangladeshi type agents, that hang around the police

station looking to help (nod nod, wink wink) unwitting farangs, that have found themselves in a precarious

position.

7 hours ago, Xaos said:

Still extortion as they wanted 8000$ for quick release, it just happened that thai gf nicked it. 

As well if no drugs were found on him on street, why he was taken to police station? Should refuse if no crime commited, thats false arrest.

He should pursue these police in court

2 hours ago, noone223 said:

a quick search on the worlds #1 search engine for: "Thong Lor Urine Test"

Brings up plenty of horror stories from the past.

It's an extortion scheme that is as old the mama san from pattaya's first girlie bar.

But then again, it must be some Thai Indian that's been making theses stories up since 1969.

The Farang is always wrong and the Thai is always right -> doesn't work when Google is involved.

Every Tourist can easily see how corrupted Thai police (especially Thong Lor branch) are.

The days these things went by unnoticed are long gone .

We have everything documented these days thanks to Google and Youtube.

Silly Thais.

image.thumb.png.56dc7763505467665454b4b560c38baf.png

What's that supposed to prove about this case? 

Read the post immediately before yours.

What is the name of the Facebook page? I can’t find it. Anyone know how many dogs as well? I’m only two hours away and I’m hearing that the shelter might be vacant still with several dogs in it who will starve if no one helps. If anyone at least knows the name of the Facebook page please let me know or private message me. 

Wow what a dull Frenchman ‘stopped & searched ~ found nothing still arrested and made to take a drug test ! Medicinal oil traces found in blood stream...... apparently prescribed by a doctor 

-

I've been stopped & searched several times,yet I’ve never been asked to accompany the police back to the station for a drug test. Police wanted 8,000 dollars Why ? Also thought under the new laws it was actually legal to now grow & smoke marijuana as long as you register .... this law was coming into effect when i left 5 months ago.

-

so many flaws with this case ‘ i would have agreed to a random search however i would have refused a drug test and refused to accompany them back to the station. as there was no cause for arrest in the first instance unless there was canoodling between Thai girlfriend  Thai/Indian friend or police. GF disappeared with the 8,000 dollars that don’t surprise me,I’m sure as we speak there’s an APB out on her

42 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Go on then, how many was that?

I don't know how many people i met over the years here, but a good amount, most thais tho, they have the best stories.

Troll somewhere else, no thai is dumb enough to trust cops here, for a damn good reason.

10 hours ago, Xaos said:

Still extortion as they wanted 8000$ for quick release, it just happened that thai gf nicked it. 

As well if no drugs were found on him on street, why he was taken to police station? Should refuse if no crime commited, thats false arrest.

agree

4 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Looks like Tonglaw police at it again. Its a lot of police stations SOP but Tonglaw take it to the taking the urine level literally in the street. People should remember they got into a lot of bother over this a few years ago. Tonglaw Station should be closed down. 

Bangkok is soo big, just avoid Thonglor...i m doing that for ages already.

Made an account just for this topic.

Was planing for my first Thailand Trip in mid Feb2020 but accidentaly stumbled over this issue and have been reading since here and on other websites. I do not believe this to be an isolated case and I'm really thinking of canceling Thailand altogether and going somewhere else nearby.

I do not want to be extorted for 50k Baht or better yet spend my holiday in Thai prison for planted drugs whatsoever. Problem is I'm not traveling alone and my best friend is hellbent on staying in sukhumvit for a week. How can I avoid the hotspots where shakedowns happen?

Avoid everything south and east of asok BTS ? From what I've read time of day doesn't really matter as they could just turn up on bikes?

Wasn't the last Thonglor police chief "promoted" to a post somewhere in Isaan? Didn't take long for the new one to step in his footsteps.

6 hours ago, noone223 said:

a quick search on the worlds #1 search engine for: "Thong Lor Urine Test"

Brings up plenty of horror stories from the past.

It's an extortion scheme that is as old the mama san from pattaya's first girlie bar.

But then again, it must be some Thai Indian that's been making theses stories up since 1969.

The Farang is always wrong and the Thai is always right -> doesn't work when Google is involved.

Every Tourist can easily see how corrupted Thai police (especially Thong Lor branch) are.

The days these things went by unnoticed are long gone .

We have everything documented these days thanks to Google and Youtube.

Silly Thais.

image.thumb.png.56dc7763505467665454b4b560c38baf.png

Surely, this is taking the pis*?

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What's that supposed to prove about this case? 

Read the post immediately before yours.

Out of many other readers, you're the only who has a hard time understanding.

If you can't understand simple logic, why do you expect others to explain it for ya.

I am a fan of Thonglor (Sukhumvit 55) daytime, no experience with the nightlife. 

Not a lot of farangs there then,

but cute Japanese young mothers. 

Not so long ago a nice addition : The Old English Pub.

As this is a place where a lot of Japanese executives are located, rent is relatively high( 1000+ Thb per sqm). 

I suppose lesser can be found. 

Buying  is for the happy few. 

22 hours ago, Xaos said:

wake up xios Hes got " I am a biker/drug dealer " written all over him.The cops areonly doing their job !!

14 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I don't know how many people i met over the years here, but a good amount, most thais tho, they have the best stories.

Troll somewhere else, no thai is dumb enough to trust cops here, for a damn good reason.

And you said every single one of them has been extorted by the police?  What a joke.

I think that you do not understand that trolling is posting false information just in order to get a reaction.

Archived