Frenchman accepts he was not extorted by Thai police - might have been his Thai/Indian friend instead

webfact

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Looks like Tonglaw police at it again. Its a lot of police stations SOP but Tonglaw take it to the taking the urine level literally in the street. People should remember they got into a lot of bother over this a few years ago. Tonglaw Station should be closed down. 

A new boss was brought in there then and he promised that such practises would stop. They haven't. Anyone surprised?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the sort of thing that happens with too much regularity here. The whiter than white, blameless RTP blamed for something it would never have crossed their minds to do. Here's me hoping that the RTP sue this evil trace-amount-of-cannabis taking farang and make sure he spends years in the Bangkok Hilton. Almost makes you wish the police would do something really useless like enforcing traffic regulations instsead of arresting people for trace amounts of cannabis.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, noone223 said:

a quick search on the worlds #1 search engine for: "Thong Lor Urine Test"

Brings up plenty of horror stories from the past.

It's an extortion scheme that is as old the mama san from pattaya's first girlie bar.

But then again, it must be some Thai Indian that's been making theses stories up since 1969.

The Farang is always wrong and the Thai is always right -> doesn't work when Google is involved.

Every Tourist can easily see how corrupted Thai police (especially Thong Lor branch) are.

The days these things went by unnoticed are long gone .

We have everything documented these days thanks to Google and Youtube.

Silly Thais.

image.thumb.png.56dc7763505467665454b4b560c38baf.png

My mate has diplomatic annuity and wants to visit the station with his cam. Dig in to them a bit for a laugh 

23 hours ago, DennisE said:

What is the name of the Facebook page? I can’t find it. Anyone know how many dogs as well? I’m only two hours away and I’m hearing that the shelter might be vacant still with several dogs in it who will starve if no one helps. If anyone at least knows the name of the Facebook page please let me know or private message me. 

maybe they should of drug tested you...

20 hours ago, deepfield said:

Made an account just for this topic.

Was planing for my first Thailand Trip in mid Feb2020 but accidentaly stumbled over this issue and have been reading since here and on other websites. I do not believe this to be an isolated case and I'm really thinking of canceling Thailand altogether and going somewhere else nearby.

I do not want to be extorted for 50k Baht or better yet spend my holiday in Thai prison for planted drugs whatsoever. Problem is I'm not traveling alone and my best friend is hellbent on staying in sukhumvit for a week. How can I avoid the hotspots where shakedowns happen?

Avoid everything south and east of asok BTS ? From what I've read time of day doesn't really matter as they could just turn up on bikes?

Wasn't the last Thonglor police chief "promoted" to a post somewhere in Isaan? Didn't take long for the new one to step in his footsteps.

yes go somewhere else, horror is just rampant here 555...

21 hours ago, deepfield said:

Was planing for my first Thailand Trip in mid Feb2020 but accidentaly stumbled over this issue and have been reading since here and on other websites. I do not believe this to be an isolated case and I'm really thinking of canceling Thailand altogether and going somewhere else nearby.

I do not want to be extorted for 50k Baht or better yet spend my holiday in Thai prison for planted drugs whatsoever. Problem is I'm not traveling alone and my best friend is hellbent on staying in sukhumvit for a week. How can I avoid the hotspots where shakedowns happen?

Avoid everything south and east of asok BTS ? From what I've read time of day doesn't really matter as they could just turn up on bikes?

Wasn't the last Thonglor police chief "promoted" to a post somewhere in Isaan? Didn't take long for the new one to step in his footsteps.

Good idea, be safe ...go to Singapore.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:51 AM, Leef said:

I was shaken down by Thonglor police 6 years ago and was convinced the cop was trying to plant drugs on me -   I managed to run into a nearby hotel and empty my bag and pockets in front of hotel security and a surveillance camera. Lucky escape from these scumbags. 

How is that a shake down? Did they ask for money? Threaten you?   

I lived in Thailand 20+ years and never had any real issues with the cops other than a traffic infraction here and there. Lived in thong Lor for 4 years and never had an issue. It's hit or miss with the cops. I've some some great cops, I've meet some bastards! Same as anywhere.  

19 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I lived in Thailand 20+ years and never had any real issues with the cops other than a traffic infraction here and there. Lived in thong Lor for 4 years and never had an issue. It's hit or miss with the cops. I've some some great cops, I've meet some bastards! Same as anywhere.  

planting drugs with someone is not a shakedown? How is that not worse than just asking for money....he can be happy he got the fak away...Holy krap are some of you guys brainwashed to talk this <deleted> positive in any way.

These guys would be stoned in europe after pulling that <deleted>.

14 minutes ago, ericthai said:
On 12/24/2019 at 12:51 PM, Leef said:

I was shaken down by Thonglor police 6 years ago and was convinced the cop was trying to plant drugs on me -   I managed to run into a nearby hotel and empty my bag and pockets in front of hotel security and a surveillance camera. Lucky escape from these scumbags. 

'Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they aren't chasing him'.... Thong Lor police have been notorious in the past for their shake-downs on foreigners....  

I've never heard of the 'drugs plant' scenario, but certainly don't put it past them to profile someone and take their chances with a bit of extortion. 

In Thonglor I've had my taxi stopped (twice) by the Police Riding Pillion, wanting to see ID, Passport etc, but this was on a dark side Soi - refusing to open my window more than 1" they new I wasn't playing ball and rode off for whatever reasons - most likely they recogisned I knew their game and wasn't intimidated in the slightest. But all of this was more than 5 years ago. 

The stories of extortion such as this are far less now than they were more than 5 years ago, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. When someone makes an accusation such as this French Guy - it holds water, when the claim disappears like this it means someone more powerful has spoken to him and advised him to let things go, for an easier life, you know !... 

6 hours ago, amykat said:
On 12/24/2019 at 5:37 PM, deepfield said:

While shake downs definitely happen - they are so very rare that hardly anyone is impacted. 

I have had 3 shakedown attempts by the BiB (from about 15 to 5 years ago), so nothing really to worry about. 

If it happens, keep your cool, move along. If they want to check you, let them (empty your own pockets). 

Don't play the cock and try and video them, that will antagonist police anywhere in the world !... 

When they see you are not concerned and are not carrying anything illegal you are on your way within minutes.

If you have something, this is where the shakedown may start. 

23 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

planting drugs with someone is not a shakedown? How is that not worse than just asking for money....he can be happy he got the fak away...Holy krap are some of you guys brainwashed to talk this <deleted> positive in any way.

These guys would be stoned in europe after pulling that <deleted>.

Where did they plant drugs??? It's his paranoia that assumed they were going to plant drugs. No evidence they were going to do any such thing.

As I said it's hit or miss with cops, some are good some are corrupt. I've been lucky to only run into corrupt cops for minor traffic offences. 

18 hours ago, meltingpot2015 said:

something doesn't quite add up. i.e. Above is quite a coincidence. 

seems he was targeted by the boys in brown. Have a gander at this thread:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1136394-legal-thc-oil-where/

specifically:

In Pattaya they like to urine test motorists from time to time, I heard few stories for ppl pay from 5k-20k and off they go. I heard guy paid 20k for possesion of weed. 

8 minutes ago, deepfield said:

Yeah, just imagine. We don't live in the 50's anymore. Stereotyping is strong here in this forum. Funny coming from you sexpats lol. You guys are pathetic

Are you aware that you are stereotyping big time too ?

Oh the irony.. Fyi, not all the people posting here fit in your description ????

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Are you aware that you are stereotyping big time too ?

Oh the irony.. Fyi, not all the people posting here fit in your description ????

You do realise that was my goal? Stereotyping the one that stereotype. As to show them how it feels? And yes exactly irony. At least you got that right.

Archived