Video: What happened when Revo met Fortuner at a bridge in Kanchanaburi

webfact

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Not the driver?

not the driver

very clear road signs and markings are important - not everyone is as perfect as you 

These dangerous junctions need very clear signs so there is absolutely no doubt who has right of way - otherwise …….…………………………………..boom

Travel round the UK and see how road markings make it very clear beyond doubt, something we take for granted back home, but it costs a huge amount of money to maintain those standards  - planning - signage - upkeep of very clear road makings, it all contributes to road safety which is none existent in Thailand - because it costs a lot of money they are not willing to spend, any junction here is a free for all because there are no road markings or signs - what happens …………...carnage

2 hours ago, smedly said:

not the driver

very clear road signs and markings are important - not everyone is as perfect as you 

These dangerous junctions need very clear signs so there is absolutely no doubt who has right of way - otherwise …….…………………………………..boom

Travel round the UK and see how road markings make it very clear beyond doubt, something we take for granted back home, but it costs a huge amount of money to maintain those standards  - planning - signage - upkeep of very clear road makings, it all contributes to road safety which is none existent in Thailand - because it costs a lot of money they are not willing to spend, any junction here is a free for all because there are no road markings or signs - what happens …………...carnage

In this particular case there was a bloody great visible white line on the road the pick-up was driving. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

In this particular case there was a bloody great visible white line on the road the pick-up was driving. 

In lots of other cases the lines where never painted,are faded,covered in dirt/sand, or "shadowed"  by other road fixtures  and very hard to see...anyway according to some  you "give way to the left"  in Thailand  and so the pickup driver would have had priority  or rather maybe thought he should have priority ( damn the white line) and the Fortuner  should have given way to pickup because  pickup was coming from the left ( confused yet) .... as we see in the video both "assumed" they didn't need to stop...but if the pickup had adopted the simple "rule" of "give way to the right" the "accident"  wouldn't have happened.

The Fortuner driver had no way of knowing that pickup driver has a white line or stop sign he has to "assume" that as there are no lines or stop sign on his road then he can drive straight on and that other road users follow the simple  "rule"  give way to the right...other wise no progress can be made on the road everyone stopping at every junction if you followed the "give way to the left" idea.

14 hours ago, Grusa said:

Has no one heard of "defensive driving"?

Always assume and expect the worst, and look out for it.

Enough said!

"Defensive driving" is the simple answer to this and tens of thousands of other "bangs" similar to this one.

I know, TIT.

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

it is not enough, wet road - sun glare etc etc and the poor cheap quality paint they use here for road markings - they are barely visible, you can keep on arguing your point which you are entitled to do, everything here is done on the cheap or not done at all and it costs lives, I have given my "expert" opinion and stand by it :welcomeani: 

1 hour ago, nightfox said:

Whats the deference if it was a poor road, no white line, Stopping at intersections just does not exist in Thailand.

The difference is that in this case the road was not poor, and there WAS a white line.

However I do think that the white line is too far back at many junctions, so even when you stop you have to inch forward in order to see what's coming on the main road.

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

it is not enough, wet road - sun glare etc etc and the poor cheap quality paint they use here for road markings - they are barely visible, you can keep on arguing your point which you are entitled to do, everything here is done on the cheap or not done at all and it costs lives, I have given my "expert" opinion and stand by it :welcomeani: 

I agree with you in many cases, but in this one, the road was not wet, and there was a clearly visible white line. What makes you an expert please?

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

This is what happens when you don't flash your headlights.

This can be confusing for UK drivers at first. Flashing lights in UK means COME ON, I AM GIVING WAY TO YOU, whereas here it means I AM NOT STOPPING.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

not the driver

true enough, and in particularly dangerous places the signs have a yellow border.

sadly the vast majority of people here simply dont care about, or understand, road safety; from those in government to the man on a bicycle riding the wrong way down the road...

20 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Plenty clear enough. Driver's eyes and brain at fault.

Pickup driver may have been distracted by warm thoughts of last night, or fantasizing about tonight.

Such driver distraction can be as serious as texting.

58 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

This can be confusing for UK drivers at first. Flashing lights in UK means COME ON, I AM GIVING WAY TO YOU, whereas here it means I AM NOT STOPPING.

Misconception. It actually gives attention to other drivers that you are there.  In this case, the Thais use flashing headlights correctly and in the UK, we don't.  There are fines for using a flashing headlight incorrectly.

Having said that, I know that in the UK, flashing your headlight is a signal to let the other driver through, although it is wrong and believe it or not, illegal!

9 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It actually gives attention to other drivers that you are there

If the other drivers cannot see you without a headlight flash, a trip to Specsavers would be necessary.

But I cannot disagree with you about it being illegal, when I took my test I doubt whether the vehicle actually HAD headlights! Obviously flashing from behind is intimidation.  LOL

From Wikipedia.

United Kingdom[edit]

Though not all of its rules represent law, the Highway Code states "Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users".[1] Drivers warning others about speed traps have been fined in the past for "misuse of headlights".[26]

Headlight flashing in the United Kingdom is often used as a signal that the driver flashing you is offering to let you go first. Such use is however strongly discouraged because it can lead to accidents where the driver flashing has not seen the approach of another road user.[27] Using it to indicate that you are coming through and the other driver must wait, could lead to an accident.[citation needed]

Drivers should also be aware of the so-called "Flash-for-Cash" scam, in which criminals flash their lights to let other drivers out of a junction, then crash into them on purpose in order to make fraudulent insurance claims for damage and whiplash injury.[28]

On 12/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, Somtamnication said:

The white strip is there for a reason. 

The road from where the Revo comes has a magnificent stop that the driver of it has conscientiously avoided respecting.
It is of course the driver of the Revo who is entirely at fault.

Archived