Concern for elderly foreigner left "at Pattaya police station for days"

webfact

Concern for elderly foreigner left "at Pattaya police station for days"

5pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Chon News

Siam Chon News reported on what they said was a pitiable case. 

They had come across a 70 to 80 year old Western man slumped in a wheelchair at Pattaya police station. 

The Thai public coming to do business at the police station were aghast and wanted the police to act. 

The didn't know what to do or say so got out their phones to record the man's plight. 

He was clearly in a state of distress, they said. 

Nearby on a chair were his soiled clothes and some shoes. They were unwearable. 

The media claimed he had been there for three to four days.

Posts on the story indicated that he was later picked up by social services and taken away in an ambulance.

Many posts from Thais on the story condemned the police for not acting sooner with several claiming they wouldn't help unless there was something in it for them.

Source: Siamchon News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-24

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, fhickson said:

interested to know what social services intervened for the guy if hes skint and probable outcome

If he's a Brit, he's screwed unless they can track down family to pay to repatriate him, British Embassy won't do anything for him.

As an aside, I wonder where he slept for those few days, did they put him in a Cell or was he left in a chair?

42 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Pathetic situation, shame on you Pattaya police, what a good example you set.

Shame on Thailand i would think, not only Pattaya, they give the whole police a bad reputation...and we all know that they work so hard ????

There is actualy on beachwalk, in front of Mike shopping

an old homeless foreigner. Someone knows how i could help him?

There are also dozens of Thais homeless living and sleeping on the beach at night.

They p i s s  and p o o on the sand and\or in the sea.

Alot of them, particularly the youngest ones, seem to be alcoolics and/or drugged

but there is also families with small childrens.

some of the young guys are anonying trying to sale marijuana at every people walking

on the beach side.

I don't remember seen all this misery and poverty in the years before

nobody from the city officials seem to care about the slow but sure transformation 

of the sea side in a vast outdoor slum

we are still very far from the high quality family international resort level here

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

And that doesnt happen in the west, the elderly stacked like cordwood in homes because their families havent the time or inclination to visit?

I doubt that his Western family, "banished" him to Pattaya.

Now, to the question of the BIB giving, apparently, "not a ****" about what happened to him while in their sight and "on their watch"............

1 minute ago, Stephen Palmer said:

An absolute disgrace. Karma will get those that left him there and will get those that ignored him. Land Of Smiles?

I agree

but Karma seems to bee overbooked nowadays and doesn't work very well in a lot of cases.

Unfortunately most of the smiles are gone 4 years ago

when the authoritarian project ''return of the hapiness for the people''  started

44 minutes ago, fhickson said:

true, but you have to make it back there first. which means your probably already there paying taxes, or you saw the writing on the wall and bailed out early.

I wouldn’t retire here, I think Thailand it a grate place but not for the twilight years. It’s all fun and games when immigration send you on document scavenging hunts, but at 80 would freak me out, especially if wheelchair bound.

2 hours ago, lazeeboy said:

Anyone getting on in years should think about an exit plan if ever they become ill as no one gives a toss about you in this country 

Perhaps the sort of people you associate with don't.

Many of us on here, who have loving, caring wives & close family, really do "give a toss" about us.

_--------------------

Ok, back to the main topic...

What will happen to this poor chap; such an undignified ending for him?

It’s all good and well having a number to call when grassing on foreigners, how about a number to call when things are bad. Tourist police/embassies are not going to help, one will end in fine and the other will just say contact a family member. Maybe it’s time we set up are own helpline, I for one would volunteer my free time.  

Archived