Concern for elderly foreigner left "at Pattaya police station for days"

webfact

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

And that doesnt happen in the west, the elderly stacked like cordwood in homes because their families havent the time or inclination to visit?

This happened here in Pattaya and this is a Thai centric board, and we are in a Pattaya Forum... what happens in the West is not under discussion, but what has happened to him here is! In 'homes' they are usually kept clean, fed and watered. It appears he was left for 3 days in soiled clothing.... at some point a towel thrown over him. I recall the naked Western guy in a cell there some years ago. Nobody thinks to act for days on end, officers saw him on the way to and from their Mercs, bought with money they squeezed from younger tourists.. but this one can do nothing for them, despicable!

Where were the FPA guys?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

It’s all good and well having a number to call when grassing on foreigners, how about a number to call when things are bad. Tourist police/embassies are not going to help, one will end in fine and the other will just say contact a family member. Maybe it’s time we set up are own helpline, I for one would volunteer my free time.  

I think that would be an excellent idea.

1 hour ago, SkyNets said:

I wouldn’t retire here, I think Thailand it a grate place but not for the twilight years. It’s all fun and games when immigration send you on document scavenging hunts, but at 80 would freak me out, especially if wheelchair bound.

Gotta agree there, hard put to think of anywhere worse to be wheelchair bound unless you have heaps of money for an adapted van and driver...

4 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

Share on them

I do understand it was not their responsibility

But you do have to help people in need

Not a very good impression off The Pattaya Police

Not their resposibility. Mmmm? He was in the police station. How can it not be their reponsibility. Also one has to wonder why he is there and how he came to be there.

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

If he's a Brit, he's screwed unless they can track down family to pay to repatriate him, British Embassy won't do anything for him.

As an aside, I wonder where he slept for those few days, did they put him in a Cell or was he left in a chair?

And which embassy will do something unless repayment of cost is guaranteed?

Mine(not Brit.) Won't.

4 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

And that doesnt happen in the west, the elderly stacked like cordwood in homes because their families havent the time or inclination to visit?

No it doesn't. When have you ever read a story of anyone never mind an OAP being left at a police station and ignored for. 3 days? In the UK people are still treated with dignity and when they are not its front page news. Sorry but stupid thing to say. 

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

Gotta agree there, hard put to think of anywhere worse to be wheelchair bound unless you have heaps of money for an adapted van and driver...

not possible without daily assistance, but i guess theres always a navy seal out there somewhere...

colin neil on this board does it, but hes out in the country where things are flat

Royal Thai Police Motto

" To protect and Serve "

What a load of low life to allow this poor man, who was/is  obviously in distress to suffer in such a degrading manner.

It matters not if the man was a Farang, Thai or Eskimo, he is a Human Being, which is more than can be said for some RTP officers.

I pay for my partner's brother to be cared for in a hospice, he is paralysed on one side, incontinent and mentally confused. Cost is 20,000 Baht per month, includes food, medical treatment and hospital visits. However, if they realised a farang was paying I'm sure the cost would be much higher.  

5 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Your comparison is not comparable ????

although, sad it is

6 hours ago, lazeeboy said:

Anyone getting on in years should think about an exit plan if ever they become ill as no one gives a toss about you in this country 

That is my biggest fear about living in this country, becoming ill and not being able to fly back

to my home country, I already know people in that situation.

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Better trained police forces have a procedures for this sort of thing.  The bib is not actually good police work.   They have other things to worry about. 

Yes, like their tea money fund getting lower.

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That is my biggest fear about living in this country, becoming ill and not being able to fly back

In order to get FREE NHS treatment?

You can get health insurance here.

6 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

I do understand it was not their responsibility

Is it so hard to make a phone call to an agency that has that responsibility. 

just when you think the police here couldn't go any lower.....................................................

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

"In order to get FREE NHS treatment?" It's not free, it has been paid for.

"You can get health insurance here". Yes, and once you claim they cut you off, same as when you reach a certain age.

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"In order to get FREE NHS treatment?" It's not free, it has been paid for.

"You can get health insurance here". Yes, and once you claim they cut you off, same as when you reach a certain age.

Totally agree with you Possum. I just did insurance with Cigna. 1 Hope I do not have to claim. 2. Hope they do not cut me off if I do. 3. Have a good 'milky Christmas' ! Cheers.

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Totally agree with you Possum. I just did insurance with Cigna. 1 Hope I do not have to claim. 2. Hope they do not cut me off if I do. 3. Have a good 'milky Christmas' ! Cheers.

and a good red winey Christmas and Happy New year to you and your good lady.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

thats the situation more often then not.

another prob is that bridges have been burned and theres nothing to go back to really.

relatives have changed and they are no longer interested in housing you, giving rides etc.

so you just show up at the airport and have to arrange a taxi and expensive hotel room, everything is much more expensive then you are used to, the stress builds, esp with any kind of physsical ailment... 

where there were rides to the airport and fond farewells years ago, have rurned to friends and family not answering their phones and being busy with their own families...

if you do get put up, your presence increasingly begins to feel like a freeload and you need to decide whether to pay for the stay and for how much, which was never the case before you left...

that said, i did know a bloke in my bkk condo who up and went back after 20 years who saw the writing on the wall and moved in time, kudos to him.

7 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

In these home for elderly, at least in Netherlands, you are taken care quite good. When you have own capital, you pay for yourself. If no money, the Dutch Social Security = State pays. And some geriatric treatments might cost up to € 80.000 ( eighty Thousand) per year. That's where we pay tax for all our lives. A € 5700 per year per person, €120 x 12 + € 385 own risk + 6,75 % of your income, the rest comes from the "Big Common Wallet"= state treasury.

THIS is THE reason why I do NOT want to retire in TH. When your local family comes to the conclusion you cost more as the revenues you bring in, then you might be dumped.

17 minutes ago, fhickson said:

where there were rides to the airport and fond farewells years ago, have rurned to friends and family not answering their phones and being busy with their own families...

A very good reason nto to cut ties. Make the effort to stay in touch, go home every year or two for a visit, invite folks from home to visit you here.

You get out of relationships what you put into them - not necessarily in each case, but  averaged out,  you will.

Too many people here decide they no longer need to concern themselves with anyone or anything back home. A big mistake.

7 hours ago, thaitero said:

And some complain Thailand want to see some money and insurances from people try to retire,, Well think again why..

We've seen it before in 2011 in Pattaya with the Briton who was photographed manacled to the bars of the cell in the Pattaya monkey house/police station/detainment centre. He'd not committed any crime he had jut had a nervous breakdown. 

His embassy did nothing. Britain’s ambassador Asif Ahmad had warned ­“feckless Brits” in Thailand not to expect bailouts. Some ambassador eh!

It took an English lady Tracy Cosgrove to enough raise enough rumpus to get something done. It transpired he was quite well off but had lost his marbles for a while.

He later said he owed his life to Tracy Cosgrove.

Aug 1, 2011 - Brit rescued from Thai prison hell after being found chained up in ... Hewitt, 49, close to death, naked, emaciated and chained to prison bars.

Let's hope the Embassy get their act together in this case. These cases are unbelievable. A country that can take in the riff raff of the world but will not lift a finger to help one of their own.

Al least this poor old chap has not been photographed chained to the prison bars. Yet.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

It's not free if you've spent your working life paying for it. That's why they are called National Insurance Contributions. They are just like the premiums you pay into a policy.

It's only free if you've never contributed a bean.

So much for the significance of the topic Caption !

Lots of  bickering  debate  about anything much.

There's  nowt so strange as  folk.

Poor old sod. Nobody seems to even want to  know  him even if they did.

Yet  tomorrow there will be  "Merry Christmas"  abounding in exchanges.

Expat  community?  Bah Humbug !

3 hours ago, anterian said:

I pay for my partner's brother to be cared for in a hospice, he is paralysed on one side, incontinent and mentally confused. Cost is 20,000 Baht per month, includes food, medical treatment and hospital visits. However, if they realised a farang was paying I'm sure the cost would be much higher.  

KUdos !

Archived