Concern for elderly foreigner left "at Pattaya police station for days"

webfact

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

In these home for elderly, at least in Netherlands, you are taken care quite good. When you have own capital, you pay for yourself. If no money, the Dutch Social Security = State pays. And some geriatric treatments might cost up to € 80.000 ( eighty Thousand) per year. That's where we pay tax for all our lives. A € 5700 per year per person, €120 x 12 + € 385 own risk + 6,75 % of your income, the rest comes from the "Big Common Wallet"= state treasury.

THIS is THE reason why I do NOT want to retire in TH. When your local family comes to the conclusion you cost more as the revenues you bring in, then you might be dumped.

they give this to foreigners?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

Share on them

I do understand it was not their responsibility

But you do have to help people in need

Not a very good impression off The Pattaya Police

...what!....it is their responsibility to serve and protect the community at anytime and under any circumstance...you are correct with your typo 'share' on them, because that is what they were waiting for..as if you can make baht notes appear from soiled clothing.

4 minutes ago, tandor said:

...what!....it is their responsibility to serve and protect the community at anytime and under any circumstance...you are correct with your typo 'share' on them, because that is what they were waiting for..as if you can make baht notes appear from soiled clothing.

Can anyone actually show me where the Royal Thai Police advertise the 'TO PROTECT AND SERVE' on their vehicles or anywhere else? I think that is an Americanism. Happy to be corrected. Where I come from its the "XXX STATE POLICE FORCE". Not there to ether protect or serve, just enforce the law.

6 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Maybe it’s time we set up are own helpline, I for one would volunteer my free time.  

In Pattaya you must be ready to be very very busy with such a project

anyway i salute your courage and your philanthropy 

i am not sure i should be able to do it, i have helped few people

in my life but i have discovered some are really in need for help h24

with an incredible amount of problem, and if you start it's difficult to stop

the risk is if you are too involved, you can easily and quickly sink with them

11 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

Share on them

I do understand it was not their responsibility

But you do have to help people in need

Not a very good impression off The Pattaya Police

His visa was probably not expired yet. If it had the brownshirts would for sire have taken action....

11 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Retire to Thailand, spend your last years being ignored

It happens too often in the Western world that people die alone and neighbors then call the police when a certain smell comes out of the room/apartment.

How much attention do the elders get somewhere else?

6 hours ago, Scot123 said:

No it doesn't. When have you ever read a story of anyone never mind an OAP being left at a police station and ignored for. 3 days? In the UK people are still treated with dignity and when they are not its front page news. Sorry but stupid thing to say. 

How come there's so many people living in the streets in the uk then?

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

It happens too often in the Western world that people die alone and neighbors then call the police when a certain smell comes out of the room/apartment.

How much attention do the elders get somewhere else?

Well I do live alone now for 3 years but my ex-wife (now my best friend ) rings me

every day a few times to check on me, and yes she is Thai an much younger than me.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A very good reason nto to cut ties. Make the effort to stay in touch, go home every year or two for a visit, invite folks from home to visit you here.

You get out of relationships what you put into them - not necessarily in each case, but  averaged out,  you will.

Too many people here decide they no longer need to concern themselves with anyone or anything back home. A big mistake.

A very big mistake indeed..

Actually a lot of families just get fed up with their errant relatives (fathers,sons,brothers etc) bragging about their wonderful life,their sexual adventures etc and dissing their home countries to boot..

When the spaghetti hits the fan and they need to be rescued from their folly many families have lost interest.

My Swedish friend and her sister have just had to rescue their 80 year old father from his own stupidity and return him to Sweden.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Many posts from Thais on the story condemned the police for not acting sooner with several claiming they wouldn't help unless there was something in it for them.

Thai police, especially in Pattaya, are too busy to care about those they are paid to 'Serve and Protect'.  Fittingly the photo is taken next to the One Stop Mint set up in soi 9 where you go to pay the ransom on your licence confiscated the day before on a trumped up charge.  When I went, I calculated it was making 12K per hour AND they were working through lunch time.

Lots of disgruntled people who will not be back next year. 

17 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Royal Thai Police Motto

" To protect and Serve "

What a load of low life to allow this poor man, who was/is  obviously in distress to suffer in such a degrading manner.

It matters not if the man was a Farang, Thai or Eskimo, he is a Human Being, which is more than can be said for some RTP 

Unless you know full details why the situation occured you should not make such statements.

Btw, there are many reports of old people being badly neglected in expensive care homes in the countries where the outraged commenters on this forum originate from. UK and Germany is one of them.

14 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Can anyone actually show me where the Royal Thai Police advertise the 'TO PROTECT AND SERVE' on their vehicles or anywhere else? I think that is an Americanism. Happy to be corrected. Where I come from its the "XXX STATE POLICE FORCE". Not there to ether protect or serve, just enforce the law.

...to 'Protect and Serve' is the crux of all Police Services world-wide.

11 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

A very big mistake indeed..

Actually a lot of families just get fed up with their errant relatives (fathers,sons,brothers etc) bragging about their wonderful life,their sexual adventures etc and dissing their home countries to boot..

When the spaghetti hits the fan and they need to be rescued from their folly many families have lost interest.

My Swedish friend and her sister have just had to rescue their 80 year old father from his own stupidity and return him to Sweden.

hate to be so depressing on xmas, but another reason relatives lose interest is...

your money is running out

There were several Facebook posts updating the situation on the original story in the OP.
Apparently he was taken away yesterday morning by the Thai equivalent of social services and is no longer at the police station.
There were also many posts by concerned Thais unhappy at his plight and the lack of action, phoning up the police station to enquire about him, with several posting they were going down to the station to donate food and clothes and to wash him etc.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:13 PM, kingofthemountain said:

There is actualy on beachwalk, in front of Mike shopping

an old homeless foreigner. Someone knows how i could help him?

There are also dozens of Thais homeless living and sleeping on the beach at night.

They p i s s  and p o o on the sand and\or in the sea.

Alot of them, particularly the youngest ones, seem to be alcoolics and/or drugged

but there is also families with small childrens.

some of the young guys are anonying trying to sale marijuana at every people walking

on the beach side.

I don't remember seen all this misery and poverty in the years before

nobody from the city officials seem to care about the slow but sure transformation 

of the sea side in a vast outdoor slum

we are still very far from the high quality family international resort level here

The falang often unconscious on the wooden walkway must have something wrong with him. He probably needs to be reported to police as an overstayer, it's inevitable. Only been there about 3 weeks.

I've come to the conclusion the authorities would rather keep the other addict homeless people there. Police who walk by every night are well aware.

It's got worse the last couple years and i also get offered drugs all the time walking up beach road, it's very annoying

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The falang often unconscious on the wooden walkway must have something wrong with him. He probably needs to be reported to police as an overstayer, it's inevitable. Only been there about 3 weeks.

I've come to the conclusion the authorities would rather keep the other addict homeless people there. Police who walk by every night are well aware.

It's got worse the last couple years and i also get offered drugs all the time walking up beach road, it's very annoying

its more then just annoying. most of these blokes are shooting or smoking meth. that means they have needles and if you get picked its a nightmare for you the next several months as you get tested for hiv.

i walked up on an addict who was shooing up in the bushes in bkk by my house and he could easily have stabbed me with the needle if he chose to do so. meth also makes you very paranoid so thats another danger factor.

14 hours ago, katana said:

There were several Facebook posts updating the situation on the original story in the OP.
Apparently he was taken away yesterday morning by the Thai equivalent of social services and is no longer at the police station.
There were also many posts by concerned Thais unhappy at his plight and the lack of action, phoning up the police station to enquire about him, with several posting they were going down to the station to donate food and clothes and to wash him etc.

This is more the reaction I would expect from the average Thai as there is much more respect/care here for older people than in the "1st World"

5 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

This is more the reaction I would expect from the average Thai as there is much more respect/care here for older people than in the "1st World"

Really?

I am more than double the age of most Thai bar girls, and I get no respect from them, until some money is displayed.  ????

I am sure this guy would have got a lot of attention, if he waved some money around.

First rule in the book, "Money number one in Thailand."

Totally not correct. 

See other posts on this gentleman. 

Hopefully an update in a couple of days. 

I was at the station when he was dropped there.

Spoke to him.

The police did an excellent job of assisting him.

Especially the lady on the front desk.

Hopefully he is being looked after now.

Archived