Crash victim after police chase: Gran says he's a lovely lad but 14 year old will turn over a new leaf

webfact

Crash victim after police chase: Gran says he's a lovely lad but 14 year old will turn over a new leaf

8pm.jpg
Thai caption: (I will) Turn over a new Leaf

Reporters caught up with a 14 year old boy who failed to stop at a police checkpoint when he was on his way to watch some races in Chacherngsao on Sunday. 

A video showed the police giving chase before the boy lost control at a bend and collided with a motorcycle on the other side of the road. 

Channel 7 named the boy just as "A" and found him at home with a broken right leg and other injuries to his arm. Recovery is expected to be two months. 

He lives with his 80 year old grandfather and 66 year old grandmother. 

Gran said he was a lovely lad, not mixed up in drugs who always did his chores. 

She said the police should visit him. She understands that they were only doing their duty but she thinks they should take part of the blame. 

"A" said he had learned him lesson and it would be better to stop for the cops in the future. 

He would be advising his friends that it would be better to have their bikes confiscated than what had happened to him.

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-24

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

He would be advising his friends that it would be better to have their bikes confiscated than what had happened to him

He is 14 years old and should not be  riding on the public roads in the first place !  

15 is the minimum age for a bike licence and then not more than 100cc engine.

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Why are they letting him ride at 14??? Charge them with child endangerment. 

You should visit my area, particularly on a weekend, plenty of youngsters hooning about on motorbikes, some look barely 7 years old. The police just turn a blind eye. They ride motorbikes to school carrying a couple of mates as well.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

She said the police should visit him. She understands that they were only doing their duty but she thinks they should take part of the blame.

What blame?! I think granny needs to sort out some facts with a good professional.

35 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You should visit my area, particularly on a weekend, plenty of youngsters hooning about on motorbikes, some look barely 7 years old. The police just turn a blind eye. They ride motorbikes to school carrying a couple of mates as well.

Good excuse! That makes it all much better. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

What blame?! I think granny needs to sort out some facts with a good professional.

Good excuse! That makes it all much better. Thanks!

I'm telling it like it is. Wake up and smell the coffee!

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I'm telling it like it is. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Yes, you did. The thing, though, was that you did not even once mentioned any opinion on that it´s wrong. On the other hand, maybe you seen it so much so it starts to be normal for you. Some people react in that wierd way.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Yes, you did. The thing, though, was that you did not even once mentioned any opinion on that it´s wrong. On the other hand, maybe you seen it so much so it starts to be normal for you. Some people react in that wierd way.

If you live in Thailand, as I have done for 10 years, you have to accept the way things are. I didn't decide to live here so I can set about changing things to the way I want, as some cultures are known to do in my home country. I take the good with the bad here.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

If you wonder where things went wrong for this boy, the clue is in the text above.

The caregivers of this kid should teach him right and wrong, responsibilities, and how actions have consequences.

It seems like the boy learnt a lesson, the grannies not. How about the boy visiting the police station with a gift basket to apologize for his foolish actions? And to the driver of the motorcycle he hit, for the same.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

If you live in Thailand, as I have done for 10 years, you have to accept the way things are. I didn't decide to live here so I can set about changing things to the way I want, as some cultures are known to do in my home country. I take the good with the bad here.

I am on my 23rd year, junior! Do not think I can change anything, but I still have an opinion and voice that one. Nice to hear that it only took you 10 year to get silent. Can you please apply that to all areas.

Just now, Matzzon said:

I am on my 23rd year, junior! Do not think I can change anything, but I still have an opinion and voice that one. Nice to hear that it only took you 10 year to get silent. Can you please apply that to all areas.

So what you are doing is basically just whinging about things that you can't change or accept.  Sounds like an exercise in futility to me.

The Grancarer believes the police should visit the boy as they are partly to blame, wake up Granma he was not old enough to ride but old enough to run, who do he learn that from Granny, but Gran you are right and the police should visit to remove his motorbike and to tell you Gran if he gets caught again the buck stops with Gran

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

So what you are doing is basically just whinging about things that you can't change or accept.  Sounds like an exercise in futility to me.

Whinging and posting an opinion is different where I come from. I guess we have to agree to disagree, junior.

4 hours ago, johng said:

He is 14 years old and should not be  riding on the public roads in the first place !  

15 is the minimum age for a bike licence and then not more than 100cc engine.

I agree with you entirely.

Sorry to be pedantic, it's not more than 110cc.

8 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Why are they letting him ride at 14??? Charge them with child endangerment. 

I agree absolutely, he's missed out on at least 2 years of freedom, 12 is the norm for youngsters.... never mind what the law says!

10 hours ago, webfact said:

This is a major flaw in Thai culture, admitting they are wrong and taking responsibility for their actions. Instead they blame someone else or come up with a myriad of other excuses ( brake failure comes to mind). Granny gives us insight as to why it is this way.  This is what they are taught at home from a young age.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I agree absolutely, he's missed out on at least 2 years of freedom, 12 is the norm for youngsters.... never mind what the law says!

A couple of years ago I wanted to buy the wifes grandson a pushbike. His mum had already had a previous son so i said to the wife I'll have to buy two bikes to be fair. No problem wife said,elder boy is ten and can ride motorbike. 

<deleted> me off as I had to wait until I was 14 before I got my first motorbike. Gets worse the 5 yo grandson has a 50cc playaround bike but also a 70cc KTM serious motorcrosser. Goes like the clappers.

49 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

This is a major flaw in Thai culture, admitting they are wrong and taking responsibility for their actions. Instead they blame someone else or come up with a myriad of other excuses ( brake failure comes to mind). Granny gives us insight as to why it is this way.  This is what they are taught at home from a young age.

Not that major really when compared to Australia. Everytime someone stuffs up big time the media always plays the didn't get the support blah bla blah that they needed. I imagine that is the same in most developed countries...….blame the system for lack of support...never themselves.

9 hours ago, emptypockets said:

A couple of years ago I wanted to buy the wifes grandson a pushbike. His mum had already had a previous son so i said to the wife I'll have to buy two bikes to be fair. No problem wife said,elder boy is ten and can ride motorbike. 

<deleted> me off as I had to wait until I was 14 before I got my first motorbike. Gets worse the 5 yo grandson has a 50cc playaround bike but also a 70cc KTM serious motorcrosser. Goes like the clappers.

I don't have a real issue with "age" I've seen many kids in other countries riding & racing at younger than road legal age.
My issue is as long as they've been supervised & trained in safety issues then a young age is good practice before getting out on the road. They have the savvy of what happens when you ride & what happens when it all goes wrong, before mixing with other traffic!

Used to have a family that lived across the street. and 3 houses up. They had one child, a stunning 14 year old daughter who was under contract with a modeling agency. They bought her a 125cc bike and let her ride it everywhere. One day I asked him why he didn't love his daughter. He looked shocked, telling me she was the most precious thing in the world to him. I told him: Not if you let her drive at 14.  Three days later she was crushed by a cement truck on one of the busiest highways in Chiang Mai while cutting across lanes on her way to school. The guy went nuts and said it was my fault for "wishing bad luck" on her.  My wife, always soft spoken and polite, exploded on him in front of everyone, letting him know it was his stupid fault for being a failure as a father, and buying her a motorbike when she wasn't old enough to drive. A month later they moved. 

Archived