Condemnation after men dress as Nazis at Bangkok mall festive event

webfact

On 12/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, Letseng said:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/swastika

You don't seem to know the origin and meaning of a swastika. Don't ever go to India. With your knowledge you would constantly bump into this for you offensive symbol.

Not only Thais don't get taught history. You weren't either.

----

Same in Japan. Look at any Japanese map and all their temples are marked with a symbol that looks like a Swastika but is a mirror image.

Edited by Dexxter

20 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I have written to Daryl F Zanuck about all those actors and extras in his film "The Longest Day" being dressed in German Army uniforms and I suggested (most strongly) that the film be remade with them in dirndl dresses instead.

Thus we can remake history.

Daryl has not replied.

well DFZ has a surefire deadset good reason why he's never going to answer...

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 12:18 PM, Letseng said:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/swastika

You don't seem to know the origin and meaning of a swastika. Don't ever go to India. With your knowledge you would constantly bump into this for you offensive symbol.

Not only Thais don't get taught history. You weren't either.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, maxpower said:

From a Thai Facebook review of the movie Jojo Rabbit describing it as a "feel good movie"

The picture caption in Thai says "this movie will make you love Hitler".

jojo.jpg.e1a4aec9eabec8dc10988935a3d0d802.jpg

Jo Jo Rabbit - A Nazi movie the whole family can enjoy.

Just had a look on https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2584384 and it has an 8.1/10 rating so must be good. It is a comedy by the way. I have put it on my "Watch List". ????

On 12/26/2019 at 6:57 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Plenty of Nazi uniforms and paraphernalia available all over Thailand, many retro’s prob make in China 

Quite a lot was available at a street market in Miskolc, Hungary about 6 years ago and probably still available but I have not been back to check. All the badges, emblems, uniforms, even Gestapo officer's hats. A huge table filled with the stuff and it all looked authentic rather than "Chinese copies". I would have bought a few items as historic keepsakes except I feared getting arrested back in SJW Australia.

Edited by Dexxter
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 7:29 PM, Catoholic said:

so men dressing as women is OK, but men dressing like warriors is not OK....  strange...

Warriors?

Perhaps soldiers, but I doubt they would ever be recognised as "warriors"

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 6:26 AM, Creasy said:

Geography and history, especially foreign is not a strong suit of the Thais 

as they abjectly surrended to the Japanese in WW2 without a fight, it's rather ironic that they should parade themesleves in such a way. They make much of never having been invaded,  That's easy to say when you just give in without a struggle. Hardly inspiring. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

as they abjectly surrended to the Japanese in WW2 without a fight, it's rather ironic that they should parade themesleves in such a way. They make much of never having been invaded,  That's easy to say when you just give in without a struggle. Hardly inspiring. 

Oh they were invaded by neighbours centuries ago. This how the influence of Cambodian culture became part of the dynasty before 14th century

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand the public outrage at those who display Nazi paraphernalia but it’s a real mystery to me why young leftists don’t evoke that very same sense of outrage when they display their beloved hammer and sickle banners. After all, the Communists certainly murdered more people than the Nazis.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh they were invaded by neighbours centuries ago. This how the influence of Cambodian culture became part of the dynasty before 14th century

tell them that.  They have a very selective memory where this subject is concerned. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, JonnyF said:

I believe this is simply ignorance, not malice. They have no idea of the history and just think the uniform looks cool, a bit like dressing up as a stormtrooper from Star Wars. They've probably seen the swastika on T-shirts at the night market and think it's a designer name in Europe.

Lack of education is the issue here, not hatred of Jews or a love of genocide.

the nazi regime is not only about the jews ans genocide, but also about a horrific war that killed 80 million people, including 8 million germans - 15% of the german population at that time.

thai people simply can't say , again and again, that they don't know what it means.

and i am sure that all the ones who use those nazi symbol, know very well what it means, only

that they are sure, haha, that they are also do powerfull and superior as nazi germany. this is

unfortunately how they see the world.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, rascalman said:

Very Bad Taste: Google and see how many were killed during this terrible world War. Not Funny! My father luckily survived, many did not. I once told a vendor years ago in Bangkok who was selling a mini swastika natzi <deleted>. That this was pure evil. 

An estimated total of 70–85 million people perished, which was about 3% of the 1940 world population (est. 2.3 billion).  World War II fatality statistics vary, with estimates of total deaths ranging from 70 million to 85 million.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I am wondering if part of the confusion with Nazi acceptance on some levels has to do with similarities of the swastika and the Buddhist symbol of peace,and people do not see the differences 

The are familiar with the swastika as its used at temples and things , its not like they get shocked and upset by the swastika, like many westerners do 

• Like 1

Much of what you still see in modern Thailand was shaped by dictator Plaek Phibunsongkhram's admiration of the Nazis in the 1930s.

Cultures that believe themselves to be superior to the rest of the world are easy prey for the psychotic strongmen amongst them.