Can I bring a zebra skin into Thailand?

Hello, I am a 7-year expat in Bangkok on a retirement visa. I recently inherited a few items that I'd like to bring to my home in Thailand. Among others, I have a huge zebra skin (from the culling practices in Africa, not from hunting) and was wondering if I can bring it in freely or is it a prohibited article, or will it be subjected to import duties.

I am also bringing in silverware and crystals, just wondering if there is an duty exemption for residents, or will be be taxed through the nose.

Thank you for your info!

Thailand is party to the CITES treaty, have you not seen the informational posters displayed at arrivals at Suwanabhumi Airport?  You need to contact the relevant authority in Bangkok to inquire/arrange an import licence prior to attempting legal import of a wild animal skin to Thailand. Why take the risk?

7 minutes ago, blackcab said:

It depends on the species of zebra. Some zebra species are CITES Appendix 1, some are CITES Appendix 2 and some zebra species are not listed.

That's the thing then if he does not have documentation how would 

the customs/Agruculture inspectors make a determination? Best  confiscated. Worst case threatened with Thai Jail and big fine if he does not pay up. Why risk it?

A client of mine had a couple of hides from different animals from the US, Canada and Africa.. I checked it with my collegue-broker in Bangkok what regards customs clearence in Thailand, and it was a huge process with loads of documents that was to be presented to the customs here in Thailand.

And as somebody said earlier, it is a problem with skin/hides that are not proffessionally owned and dealed with, all the docs are gone since long. so it is nearly impossible to present those and then to be able to fill in applications for import-license and so on.

My client decided to leave home in Sweden his lifelong collecting of these hides, very sadly for him. But just way too much work..... This is the only time I have come across legally somebody tried to import hides to Thailand.

How ever out of thousands of shipment/containers, how many hides people have loaded without showing anything in the packinglist, I dont know and do not want to know either.....

Chrystal and such stuff is NOT considerated to be personal belongings (effects) and therefore taxated with a customs duty with some 5-7% of the value plus 7% VAT.

glegolo

On 12/25/2019 at 5:28 PM, blackcab said:

It depends on the species of zebra. Some zebra species are CITES Appendix 1, some are CITES Appendix 2 and some zebra species are not listed.

True. This is a Burchell zebra, the most rapidly expanding one and the reason why they cull them every now and then. Thanks to those with serious input!

Archived