Buying pasture seed

DubleA

Greetings all.  

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.  

I had a question about pasture seed products. 

Where can you buy alfalfa seed or Fescue and other pasture seeds? 

Thank you all. 

Best, 

AA

Alfalfa and fescue are temperate pasture seeds. They will not grow and persist in hot tropical Thailand.

You can buy high quality tropical pasture seeds from Ubon Forage Seeds Co. Ltd in Ubon Ratchathani. 

Contact the company through their website.

https://www.ubonforageseeds.com/en/

They have just built their new seed warehouse and seed lab.

image.thumb.png.9c8c9db8ef6bc08ec17f11b2f3fb6dd3.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Yeh Michael glad you responded. How would a combination of Mulato II and Ubon Stylo go as a mixed fodder crop? Would I get any legume (N) benefit, as well as baleable fodder?

Hello Isaan Aussie. The best combination currently are those two species, Mulato II and Ubon stylo. Sow at 1.5 kg/rai Mulato II seed and 0.5 kg/rai Ubon stylo seed. Plenty of Mulato II seed in stock but Ubon stylo seed will not be available until March when new season seed comes in. The mixture is great for grazing and cutting for fresh fodder. However, with baling for hay it is a little tricky. Ubon stylo leaves drop off quickly while drying in the field and one is left with stalks. For hay production, I would go for a pure sward of Mulato II and sow at 2 kg/rai. I will attach photos of Ubon stylo hay and you can see the stalks. also a photo of a mixed Mulato II/Ubon stylo sward.

image.png.3c59222b1c0b39c5175180bad2ae45b4.png

image.thumb.png.3e2a5d2bb1bc9300b98ba2f5d44504a8.png

• Thanks 1

Great stuff Michael. My idea is to produce wrapped bales of silage if possible hoping that the stylo will add to the soil nitrogen levels and residues from both adding to organic matter levels. 

If I was to plant a test crop of Mulato II in January, how much water would be needed? Or is it too late?

13 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Great stuff Michael. My idea is to produce wrapped bales of silage if possible hoping that the stylo will add to the soil nitrogen levels and residues from both adding to organic matter levels. 

If I was to plant a test crop of Mulato II in January, how much water would be needed? Or is it too late?

Planting Mulato II in January is okay if you have water. How much water depends on the water-holding capacity of your soils. Many soils in northeast Thailand are extremely sandy (over 80% sand) and lose moisture in the topsoil very quickly.

I would apply water every two-three days but do not saturate the soil. Mulato II does not like "wet feet". 

• Like 1

If you are going to make baled silage ,you will have to wilt the grass after cutting ,esp if the Mulato II is young and leafy , with a low DM dry matter  you will not have the higher enough DM to make silage .

If the grass is to wet when baled you will have a bale of compost ,to much anaerobic  bacteria ,to make in to silage ,have seen it with Nappier grass silage ,wilting for about 24 hours will do .

• Like 1

Another question about plants that can go deep into the soils.  The alfalfa was mentioned because their roots can go deep into the soil,  up to 40 feet. Is there any tropical type of grass or feeder plant that the roots go down just as deep or deeper,? 

Also I was wondering if zoysia grass would be good for lawns here in Thailand?  

Thanks again folks learning about the differences in the weather is good information.  

22 minutes ago, DubleA said:

Another question about plants that can go deep into the soils.  The alfalfa was mentioned because their roots can go deep into the soil,  up to 40 feet. Is there any tropical type of grass or feeder plant that the roots go down just as deep or deeper,? 

Thanks again folks learning about the differences in the weather is good information.  

Not 40 feet but in a field i spelled this year i have natural grasses and morning glory growing well.

From what i've read the glory can get down 20 feet.

8 hours ago, DubleA said:

Zoysia grass is the most common turf grass planted for lawns in Thailand. It can be purchased as turf sections at most garden centre outlets in Thailand. In Thai it is called Yaa nuan noi. There is no Zoysia seed available in Thailand.

I know of no improved grass in Thailand that has roots growing down to 40 feet.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, DubleA said:

OK and thank you all for the inputs.  

I was hoping to find a turf or grass that could improve the soil and help break it up to hold more moisture and not be so hard. 

Cheers all. 

AA

You could try หญ้าแฟก Yar-Fark,in Thai, Vetiver in English  it is often used in new road banks ,has deep roots ,idea is that it hold the soil together and stops erosion,tough drought resistant ,with the deep roots it would help brake the soil up .

But ,they is no seed ,you plant the grass stems ,not a lot of use for grazing ,according to Wiki  it is related to Sorghum ,you would have to ask around to find some .

If you what to brake the soil up ,why not get a tractor and sub soiler in ,do it now while it is dry it  would make a good job .