How are your half thai-half farang offspring?

lust

48 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

A 4 year old doesn't decide what is on TV.

Why not, my kid has been able to navigate youtube since he was 4.

Most households have more than one TV (I have a 60" in the living room and a 55" in the bedroom).

Only him and me use them.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why not, my kid has been able to navigate youtube since he was 4.

Most households have more than one TV (I have a 60" in the living room and a 55" in the bedroom).

Only him and me use them.

Nothing to do with ability. Your kid has an attitude problem towards his teacher. You are the one who needs to correct that. One of the possible solutions is to let him watch Thai TV too instead of giving in and let him only choose English programs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Interesting thread, you guys with the young kids, do they have any older siblings and if so how do they interact with them?

My daughter has two older siblings from my first marriage (their Mother died of cancer).  There is not a cigarette paper between then in terms of how they interrelate together and view themselves. Interesting, the older two voted Remain, the youngest voted Leave.  Such is the perception of 'Nationality'. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

many successful model, tv actor actress, singer is look krung in thailand.

so many. 

These people are so obsessed by their own "superior" nationality that they don't learn much about other cultures. A lot of them haven't been very successful in live themselves so they need to cling on to something else.

• Haha 2

Interesting topic and there isn't going to be one definitive answer. 

A lot of factors at play such as language input from the parents, location, friends, culture etc. 

I have two teenagers and my own experience was that my kids didn't speak English till after 4 years old. They always understood it but just didn't speak it. This was growing up in Nonthaburi so not many foreigners around. 

We left Thailand when they were 5 and 6 to move to Saudi. This was the turning point. Although we soon got into the Thai community in Riyadh, very few of the half thai kids spoke Thai, so everything was in English. Compound parties with all the kids playing together really improved their English. 

In time English became their first language over thai. They moved back to Thailand over a year ago now. They're having to learn to read and write Thai properly which they didn't do before. Spoken Thai the accent is fine but they don't know all the words and misunderstand sometimes. 

English is spoken with a mild American accent which amuses me. I'm not a septic so they don't get the accent from me. 

Anything they watch on YouTube will be in English and all their conversations with friends are in English. But they watch some Thai TV with mum and speak with her in Thai. 

IME the best thing for the English was to leave Thailand. I can really notice the difference between how my two speak English and kids who remained in Thailand. Of course a lot depends on the schools they go to, but not everyone can afford the huge school fees for a real international school. 

• Like 1