How are your half thai-half farang offspring?

lust

10 hours ago, SkyFax said:

The only facts I have are 2 students in particular one with an overseas PhD and one with a law degree from UK both of whom I coached for Thai government scholarships and as I said that they are exceptional not the norm.

Your contradicting your original post of if they did and might?

No -- both of those two Thai kids would've been ahead if they relocated to  the USA.  But I hope your son enjoys mixing with other smart and bright kids at UF maybe with those smart and bright UF kids in the Thai Student Association

Fall2 Potluck - 09-04-2011.jpg

Edited by SkyFax

• 1 month later...

Guys, I got 5 yo, 3 yo and 2 yo.  And they are as different as any 3 can be.

The 5 yo did not attempt to speak a word until well after 4th birthday (was 5 in December).  He understood and would respond to english , just did not speak.  His mother says he has never acknowledged or responded to Thai from her or any of her family, will only acknowledge English.  He loves his daddy.  He wants to be pressed up against me every where I go.  He will cry if I leave for work before he wakes and he wants me beside him when he falls asleep.  He will only eat pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, peanut butter, cheetos, brownies and drink water.  Absolutely refuses to taste anything else.

The 3 yo is speaking one and 2 word english phrases.  His mother says he has never tried to speak Thai but will acknowledge and respond to some thai from her and family.  This one loves his mommy.  He is mommies boy for sure and doesn't like at all not knowing where she is and he can get to her qwikly.  He is little more adventurous with food than his brother but still picky.  He will try about anything but probably not take second taste.

The 2 yo little girl is a ball of fire.  She has been talking "baby" english for near a year.  Mom says she understands Thai and will speak some Thai but most often speaks english.  This little girl will eat anything she can get in her mouth.  Chicken foot soup or buttermilk biscuit with gravy she loves it all.   She always runs to meet me at door when I come home with big hug and kisses but doesn't give care in the world whether mom or dad is around.

So there it is, 3 young kids all opposite as day and night all living together from same mom and dad.  I think the lesson is we are all different, we will take our own path and none are wrong or better than any other, just different.

My only fear is coming up short as a dad, not doing all I can to see they have every opportunity to succeed.  But I am very excited to see who they become.......

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

my daughter is 2 years old and currently with the covid situation stuck in thailand with my wife. I want them both to come to england for schooling so she will feel a belonging to one of her homelands rather than dubai which is neither. I told my mrs I want her to feel half Thai and half English. if people want to call her farang noi, I won't accept it, and she can be 100% English and ill forget about it. 

kids need to belong.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:31 PM, 86Tiger said:

Guys, I got 5 yo, 3 yo and 2 yo.  And they are as different as any 3 can be.

The 5 yo did not attempt to speak a word until well after 4th birthday (was 5 in December).  He understood and would respond to english , just did not speak.  His mother says he has never acknowledged or responded to Thai from her or any of her family, will only acknowledge English.  He loves his daddy.  He wants to be pressed up against me every where I go.  He will cry if I leave for work before he wakes and he wants me beside him when he falls asleep.  He will only eat pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, peanut butter, cheetos, brownies and drink water.  Absolutely refuses to taste anything else.

The 3 yo is speaking one and 2 word english phrases.  His mother says he has never tried to speak Thai but will acknowledge and respond to some thai from her and family.  This one loves his mommy.  He is mommies boy for sure and doesn't like at all not knowing where she is and he can get to her qwikly.  He is little more adventurous with food than his brother but still picky.  He will try about anything but probably not take second taste.

The 2 yo little girl is a ball of fire.  She has been talking "baby" english for near a year.  Mom says she understands Thai and will speak some Thai but most often speaks english.  This little girl will eat anything she can get in her mouth.  Chicken foot soup or buttermilk biscuit with gravy she loves it all.   She always runs to meet me at door when I come home with big hug and kisses but doesn't give care in the world whether mom or dad is around.

So there it is, 3 young kids all opposite as day and night all living together from same mom and dad.  I think the lesson is we are all different, we will take our own path and none are wrong or better than any other, just different.

My only fear is coming up short as a dad, not doing all I can to see they have every opportunity to succeed.  But I am very excited to see who they become.......

nice message as I have one two year old as of course we all know they will be fine in the end (fingers crossed of course) but its nice to hear your attitude and it reminds me not to be worrying too much or putting pressure on the little one! she has started talking now ????

On 12/26/2019 at 7:12 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Nothing to do with ability. Your kid has an attitude problem towards his teacher. You are the one who needs to correct that. One of the possible solutions is to let him watch Thai TV too instead of giving in and let him only choose English programs.

At my Primary School in a backwater Australian town in the early 80's I received the cane across the palms of my hands a few times so there is always that option. Though i let my wife handle the physical stuff, I'm to soft.  When my son really deserves a smack i will tell my wife to do it as i can't bring myself to do it.

Edited by Heppinger
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, Pilotman said:

I Have a mixed race, Thai/British daughter, 21 years old now and living in the UK. We took particular pains to ensure that she strayed in touch with her Thai culture and heritage and she visits often and speaks fluent Thai and Issan. However, as she has finished her university education and seen how I am having to jump through stupid hoops here, and she has interacted with some of the bureaucracy and people, as we all do, she has become more and more disenchanted and indifferent to Thailand. In effect Thailand has lost her, as they treat her as more farang than Thai, so she is now acting that way. She has travelled the World with us, lived when she was young in other Asian countries and seen how they develop and live their lives  If her Mum and me did not live here,  and when we and her grandparents pass away, I doubt she will ever bother to come back. If asked, she will say she is British and leave it at that, actually she would probably say English.  Shame really. 

I wouldn't complain. I have 2 daughters and sincerely hope they don't stay here for their adult life's. How did she make her way to the UK so young and without her parents? Must have been a brave move?

6 hours ago, Heppinger said:

At my Primary School in a backwater Australian town in the early 80's I received the cane across the palms of my hands a few times so there is always that option. Though i let my wife handle the physical stuff, I'm to soft.  When my son really deserves a smack i will tell my wife to do it as i can't bring myself to do it.

Learn to manage and direct your children, they never need a smack.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I wouldn't complain. I have 2 daughters and sincerely hope they don't stay here for their adult life's. How did she make her way to the UK so young and without her parents? Must have been a brave move?

sorry perhaps I mislead you.  She was born in Thailand, by force of work and family circumstance, but was taken to the UK at 6 months old.  

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

sorry perhaps I mislead you.  She was born in Thailand, by force of work and family circumstance, but was taken to the UK at 6 months old.  

Oh ok. 

Edited by Keyser Soze666

7 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Oh ok. So why would you expect her to be interested in Thai culture etc, if she has hardly ever been exposed to it?

because she is half Thai, because her Mother is Thai, because her Grandparents cousins etc are Thai and because she visited the family once a year, every year, because she speaks and writes Thai and speaks Issan (Loa), fluently. It would surely be odd is she wasn't interested 

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

because she is half Thai, because her Mother is Thai, because her Grandparents cousins etc are Thai and because she visited the family once a year, every year, because she speaks and writes Thai and speaks Issan (Loa), fluently. It would surely be odd is she wasn't interested 

Calm down lol, you will get yourself all excited.

Edited by Keyser Soze666
  • Confused 1

My 9 year old daughter loves our annual trips to Thailand except for all the stares and grabbing from all the Yais she gets when we go shopping or to the markets. 

She doesn't look Thai at all and thus is a bit of an "oddity" in the provinces.

When in Phuket never has a problem.