Tesco Lotus offers bags for life to end plastic use

webfact

Tesco Lotus offers bags for life to end plastic use

By THE NATION

800_bd0198566154cab.jpg?v=1577351579

As part of its no-plastic bags policy, Tesco Lotus is providing a "Bag of Life" at its branches to those who do not want single-use plastic, Salinla Seehaphan, the corporate affairs director, revealed.

The "Bag of Life" is a thick plastic bag which can be used several times. The bag is made of recycled plastic, and is sold at Bt3 for small size and at Bt5 for big size.

Salinla explained that the recycled bag distribution scheme was developed after Tesco Lotus surveyed and found that cloth bags sold in the general market were quite expensive. “Their price is an obstacle for people who want to stop using plastic bags,” she added. “Moreover, some reusable bags are not strong enough to support the weight of some products”.

Thoose who opt for the "Bag of Life" can exchange their bags when they are worn out for a new ones at the branch where they bought them from, free of charge.

“Tesco Lotus does not dispose the worn-out bags of, but recycles them into new ones,” she added. “We do not want to add to the plastic waste in accordance with Tesco group’s no-plastic bags policy.”

The first exchange period for the bags will be from January 1 to March 31, 2020.

Besides, Tesco Lotus has provided other kinds of bags apart from the "Bag of Life". Those bags are sold in the price range of Bt19 to Bt99.

In addition, Tesco Lotus, together with other retailers in Thailand, will stop using plastic bags from January 1, according to the government policy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379867

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-27

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

The bag is made of recycled plastic, and is sold at Bt3 for small size and at Bt5 for big size.

More  BS 

1  recycled  plastic  still waste  of  time and 

2 Why  not  make them FREE  for the first  time instead  of cashing in.

3  Why  not  make them from something else

Either  way the whole  things a farce  why dont they just ban ALL  plastic  in ALL things because plastic  bags is the absolute miniscule  tip of  the world  biggest iceberg and again they dont  target peoples  laziness (dumping where they want especially THAIS) and their  own in their inability to dispose of/recycle  correctly.

Theres  NOTHING worng  with plastic, the problem is disposal and use, plastic has made  the modern world  what it  is

49 minutes ago, Chazar said:

More  BS 

1  recycled  plastic  still waste  of  time and 

3  Why  not  make them from something else

Either  way the whole  things a farce  why dont they just ban ALL  plastic  in ALL things because plastic  bags is the absolute miniscule  tip of  the world  biggest iceberg and again they dont  target peoples  laziness (dumping where they want especially THAIS) and their  own in their inability to dispose of/recycle  correctly.

Theres  NOTHING worng  with plastic, the problem is disposal and use, plastic has made  the modern world  what it  is

I think you will find the supermarkets have been doing the multi-use bags for free over the last 6 months, I have 2-3 from tesco and BigC.

They have been handing them out on the no plastic bag trial days.

the main issue remain:

how am i going to carry out the trash from my condo without large plastic bags ?

the only difference this ban of bag does,

is that i dont get the bag necessary to

carry out the trash when i buy food,

instead i have to buy separate plastic bags,

or in case of my serviced condo,

the landlord has to provide me with more

plastic bags equal to the plastic bags

i no longer get at foodland/big c

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big C needs to reduce the size of their bags used for loose food such as fruit, veg and meat. They are ridiculously big. I could buy one onion but the bag could easily handle 20

Wouldn't it be easier for you to say "no thanks" to the 20-onion size bag when you go there to buy your one onion?

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Yes we decided to solve the plastic problem using plastic. We will be the laughing stock of the next generation.

If you really want to stop using plastic, you will have to sell or throw in the trash most of the items you use every day, starting with your car or your pickup and your beautiful smartphone ...

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

In UK I used Asda bags for life, they easy last a year+, these will be the same bags, then you go back and replace for free

In France where I was living 14 years ago, I used my big backpack to carry what I bought .

I still have it ; it 's very solid ..

I'll use it when going to Lotus next year .

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

If you really want to stop using plastic, you will have to sell or throw in the trash most of the items you use every day, starting with your car or your pickup and your beautiful smartphone ...

Apparently you did not notice this thread is about PLASTIC BAGS, not some sort of "stop using all plastic" topic which is naive so I don't even know what you are going off about because it makes no sense. Solving the plastic bag problem is very easy to do. Other places around the world have already done it so it is already proven. And they didn't use plastic. Only in developing places like Thailand do they "solve" the plastic problem by throwing plastic at it as the solution. What a complete joke.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big C needs to reduce the size of their bags used for loose food such as fruit, veg and meat. They are ridiculously big. I could buy one onion but the bag could easily handle 20

Put the onion in ya pocket !

37 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the main issue remain:

how am i going to carry out the trash from my condo without large plastic bags ?

the only difference this ban of bag does,

is that i dont get the bag necessary to

carry out the trash when i buy food,

instead i have to buy separate plastic bags,

or in case of my serviced condo,

the landlord has to provide me with more

plastic bags equal to the plastic bags

i no longer get at foodland/big c

Why would the landlord provide you refuse bags ?

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Because they are laughing all the way to the bank, as this anti plastic hysteria con job has a chance to make them and other big retailers an easy, massive profit. 

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Tesco-Lotus clearly hasn't learned from the experience in the UK where the introduction of thicker, reusable bags has actually increased the amount of plastic used overall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50579077

The picture at the top of that link is interesting. All those reusable bags being dragged along filthy, feces encrusted sidewalks. Make way for typhoid fever.

Many a time, I carry my stuffs in my hands like a mad man and rush through the mall to dump them in the boot of my car or motorcycle carriage, just because I want to contribute in my own small corner in the fight against plastics in the world. I say no plastic and always try to tell the cashiers why I said no, so that they too can educate their siblings on how serious the matter is. Even when I'm looking away and they put my stuffs in a plastic bag without me seeing - stuffs I could carry in my hands - I take them out and hand the plastic bag back to them and tell them why. 

What Tesco Lotus is doing is a good thing that needs our encouragement and applause and not the negative comments I see here.

Many a time, I carry my stuffs in my hands like a mad man and rush through the mall to dump them in the boot of my car or motorcycle carriage, just because I want to contribute in my own small corner in the fight against plastics in the world. I say no plastic and always try to tell the cashiers why I said no, so that they too can educate their siblings on how serious the matter is. Even when I'm looking away and they put my stuffs in a plastic bag without me seeing - stuffs I could carry in my hands - I take them out and hand the plastic bag back to them and tell them why. 

What Tesco Lotus is doing is a good thing that needs our encouragement and applause and not the negative comments I see here.

It's all very well and commendable that the supermarkets are doing this but what about the ordinary markets where Thai's do most of their food shopping.  How do you get rid of the plastic bags there?

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Yes we decided to solve the plastic problem using plastic. We will be the laughing stock of the next generation.

Oh for goodness sake.  The problem is not plastic, but single use plastic.  Plastic has a role in society and will have for many a year.  The thicker plastic bags, as said, are for multiple use.  Tesco will replace them when their usefulness comes to an end.  They will be recycled.

58 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Tesco-Lotus clearly hasn't learned from the experience in the UK where the introduction of thicker, reusable bags has actually increased the amount of plastic used overall.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50579077

It's not so much the amount of plastic used, but the disposal of them.

Greenpeace and campaigning charity the Environmental Investigation Agency conclude the rising sales of bags for life mean they are used as a disposable option by many customers.

It appears that customers, because they are so cheap, are disposing of them in the general waste which is not what was envisaged.

Archived