Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

webfact

Pattaya: Pitiful old man at the police station will be "repatriated to Britain"

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Pattaya City Law Enforcement

The Pattaya City Law Enforcement page provided an update on the pitiful case of a western man who had been sitting half naked in a wheelchair at Pattaya police station for days. 

In a report that claimed the Thai authorities were "Going beyond duty as friends" pictures showed the old man - earlier said to be about 80 - being given food and drink and loaded onto a pick-up truck in a wheelchair. 

4pm3.jpg

Officials were seen posing with him.

The "tessakit" said that he had been handed over to a tourism foundation and would be looked after by them before being repatriated to Britain. 

In comments an "author" of the posts seemed to agree with a comment that this was not a tourist. It appeared that the British embassy had been trying to get in touch with the man's relatives. 

4pm2.jpg

Earlier in the week it was claimed online that the man had been at Pattaya police station for 3 to 4 days. The police had given him a blue towel to protect his modesty. 

Soiled clothing and shoes were found in a pile as Thais coming and going at the station called for help for the pitiful man. 

Source: Pattaya City Law Enforcement

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-27

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To really understand what was going on here, a lot more information would be helpful. I suspect the cops have decided to "help" out of being shamed rather than from a sense of pity. Regardless, if the fella gets home without having to go through the ignominy of IDC then God speed to him. I just hope he has someone waiting for him when he gets there.

47 minutes ago, dyertribe said:

Elder dumping is a problem in many countries, especially at this time of the year sadly.

Exactly. Most of the Brits in Thailand appear to have been dumped here. No wonder they're miserable. 

Hope this guy gets back safely and into one of those fantastic UK elder homes.

50 minutes ago, dyertribe said:

I'd like to know the back story of how he got there ... I suspect that he became too much of a bother for his Thai family ...

Elder dumping is a problem in many countries, especially at this time of the year sadly.

I suspect that he became too much of a bother for his Thai family .......You Mean His Money Ran Out ?? 

6 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I suspect that he became too much of a bother for his Thai family .......You Mean His Money Ran Out ?? 

6 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

A victim of on O A retirement extensions  and no way would get let alone afford insurance for upcoming renewal?

At least he now being repatriated to a presumably safer environment.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To really understand what was going on here, a lot more information would be helpful. I suspect the cops have decided to "help" out of being shamed rather than from a sense of pity. Regardless, if the fella gets home without having to go through the ignominy of IDC then God speed to him. I just hope he has someone waiting for him when he gets there.

The difference being. there's a chance that someone from health/social services'll be waiting when he gets back to the UK.

Well done to the cops, whatever we think of them, they probably do some good things sometimes that we don't hear about.

As someone else says, it would be interesting to hear the back-story on this.

7 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

according to the what the wife read online this was a self induced issue with the drug alcohol involved..

It'd be quite easy to slip into that, living in Thailand..........or Spain etc, especially when there ain't much else to do.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A victim of on O A retirement extensions  and no way would get let alone afford insurance for upcoming renewal?

At least he now being repatriated to a presumably safer environment.

Not sure at age 80 any insurance would be available to him.

7 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It'd be quite easy to slip into that, living in Thailand..........or Spain etc, especially when there ain't much else to do.

I agree and it happens to the best of people. Like I stated, this was from the wife who doesn't read TV, she brought it up to me from seeing it on her social media but of course this doesn't prove the veracity either. Either way I'm glad he's getting a ride back and hopefully it isn't being paid for by the Thais.  

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

ISNT IT PATHETIC, that after Pattaya plod were shamed on social media, they are suddenly going out of their way to help the man.

Shame on you sad individuals, ohh look at me helping the poor old man.

The people who should be ashamed are those who dropped the guy off at the police. I mean.. wife.. gf.. relatives. All these should come before the cops. 

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

ISNT IT PATHETIC, that after Pattaya plod were shamed on social media, they are suddenly going out of their way to help the man.

Shame on you sad individuals, ohh look at me helping the poor old man.

Whoever dumped him on the police is the pathetic one. 

What would the police do in your home country if a homeless old foreigner wandered into the police station? Where I come from they’d kick him out. 

9 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I agree and it happens to the best of people. Like I stated, this was from the wife who doesn't read TV, she brought it up to me from seeing it on her social media but of course this doesn't prove the veracity either. Either way I'm glad he's getting a ride back and hopefully it isn't being paid for by the Thais.  

Agree wholeheartedly.

Then again, he could be given a free flight on Thai Airways, that many wealthy Thais are probably able to snag, rightly or wrongly??

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

The people who should be ashamed are those who dropped the guy off at the police. I mean.. wife.. gf.. relatives. All these should come before the cops. 

if my wife is correct about the alcoholic behavior, they simply may have had enough of the bs and didn't know what else to do, it's not like the west where there is rehab places aplenty or common knowledge on how to deal with this..

1 minute ago, Crash999 said:

Whoever dumped him on the police is the pathetic one. 

What would the police do in your home country if a homeless old foreigner wandered into the police station? Where I come from they’d kick him out. 

Maybe I not sure about other countries but UK old bill would get in touch with social services.

I would hope so.

At least the embassy are trying to get in touch with family back home. 

3 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if my wife is correct about the alcoholic behavior, they simply may have had enough of the bs and didn't know what else to do, it's not like the west where there is rehab places aplenty.. 

If he was an alcoholic then its of his own doing. Its hard to take care of an alcoholic. 

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if my wife is correct about the alcoholic behavior, they simply may have had enough of the bs and didn't know what else to do, it's not like the west where there is rehab places aplenty.. 

There is a few around but who would have paid the costs ?

Where does it say he had a Thai family, wife or girlfriend? Too much jumping to conclusions with a measure of veiled thai bashing thrown in. Where were all the members of the legendary farang brotherhood to help him out?

Possibly just an old derelict alchoholic who finally ran out of money.

33 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

according to the what the wife read online this was a self induced issue with the drug alcohol involved..

Ah the legal hard drug that people on this forum love so much. Cannabis is so much milder then this. 

Archived