Kratom leaves dropped from narcotics list

webfact

6 hours ago, justin case said:

how many years of "research" did they need to come to this conclusion

btw it was legal for centuries, before government under pressure & lobby of big pharma made it illegal

There's an old Thai saying apparently over a 100 yrs old that says (paraphrasing) 'would rather have a son in law a kratom chewer than a ganja smoker' referencing the energy inducing effects of tom vs the lazy tendencies of some that smoke weed. 

My SO will be very happy. We have a local kratom tree, not unusual to see guys scurrying about in the upper branches. As for my SO, she uses it to give her energy doing stuff on our little allotment, and when she's going on a long journey in our pick-up. If I had to give an analogy, probably coffee. It's at about that level of risk.

7 hours ago, oobar said:

Huh?  Can anyone with experience back up this statement, which seems absurd?

It's absurd. It's not more powerful than morphine, or course, or hospitals would be using kratom. I've tried it. Did nothing for me but make me nauseous. Smelled like something between coffee and chocolate -- so a nice smell. 

Just being Captain Obvious here, but an MOU is not the same as enacting legislation and signing into law the delisting of Kratom as a narcotic.  It's misleading headlines like this that land average citizens in jail.

"But, but, but!! I read it in the news.  'Kratom leave dropped from narcotics list' was exactly what the news article said officer.  Hey, hey why are you handcuffing me.  Where are we going.  What??? Why are we going to jail??? I broke what law?  It's illegal?????  But, but, but the news said it was now legal!!!"

1 hour ago, Ebumbu said:

It's absurd. It's not more powerful than morphine, or course, or hospitals would be using kratom.

Actually the statement is highly misleading.  Back to the old adage that there are 'lies, damn lies, and statistics.'  Consider the statement that kratom is "... better than morphine thirteen times in killing pain.”  No, it's not. 
One of the alkaloids, Mitragynine, that is contained in kratom in small quantities has by itself in an isolated state the potential of being 13 time more effective at binding with opiate receptors in the body.  It's classed as an opiate receptor antagonist.  That means that it competes with opiates at the binding sites which makes it an option for opiate withdrawal.  BTW Naloxone is also an opiate receptor antagonist.  Just because a substance has an affinity to bind to a receptor doesn't mean it's going to make you high.  Just the opposite in the case of Naloxone. 
The use of hyperbole like this is the exact same misinformation that is used to demonize a substance in the first place.  And people with agendas love to use 'statistics' in a manner to support whatever nonsense they happen to be promoting.  The sad thing being is that the majority of the unquestioning masses fall for it.  A more accurate statement might be that kratom has analgesic and pain-killer properties when used in moderate amounts and does not exhibit addictive qualities.  Granted, if marijuana and kratom are legalized then it's better than the current practice of sending terminally ill patients home to die armed with a bottle of Tylenol or it's generic equivalent.  That utter lack of human compassion simply blow me away.  I doubt this has anything to do with compassion for the pain and the suffer of the average person.  It has more to do with the commercialization and marketing of kratom and cannabis based medicines for profits.  Follow the money.  Like sharks smelling blood in the water, the rich and connected smell money and profits from a new source if the legal strangle-hold on these plants are loosened just a bit.  However, don't ever expect the strangle-hold on opiates to be loosened at least in this country. Morphine is so regulated as to be essentially worthless.

22 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Wish we'd see the same common sense for Marijauna...

You will be surprised when it is revealed how far along the approval of cannabis for growing and medical use actually is. Laws will be enacted early next year approving the growth by Thais of up to six plants under very strict regulation. Some time later that recreational use may also be legally approved but there are no plans currently to do that. The government is trying to do this in a way that will be beneficial to the country as a whole and not just to shareholders and executives of 'big pharma'. 

As already someone said, probably, activated by pharmaceutical companies, they finally see a way of making money with it.

It was only forbidden (1939) due to commercial circumstances in Thailand, they were doing opium

You can find that on wiki. There are/were only 9 countries where it was forbidden. Thailand was one of them.

Not forbidden even in Indonesia, which is a muslim country. THey sell it world wide !

NOw they probably see it can be a substitute for the rubber trees.

Late from Thailand.

As i may believe, you ll have 4 gram you get active (Thai farmers) and if you have more you ll get slow.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, webfact said:

Also, it is better than morphine thirteen times in killing pain

13 hours ago, oobar said:

Huh?  Can anyone with experience back up this statement, which seems absurd?

would rather rely on scientific study, but in my humble opinion, the other way around.

12 hours ago, uncleeagle said:

Having been given morphine in hospital I cant imagine what 13 times more powerful would do because I was already in heaven when they had me on that stuff...I somehow doubt it can be true. After all, if it was true, then why would a controlled kratom not be used in hospitals instead of an equally controlled morphine?

When I broke my ankle it didn't really hurt very much in the ambulance, but I was eventually given morphine at the hospital after a young doctor botched a temporary hot-splint setting that put me in extreme pain. It had absolutely no effect on me, so they gave me some more, and the same was true. The next day, they gave me two percocet tablets  as I was about to leave the hospital, and within 20 minutes I was vomiting violently. That continued for about an hour, and I was so sick for the next 3 days, I couldn't eat any solid food. 

It seems that not only do opiates not help my pain but can also make me violently ill, so I'm thrilled to hear of other sources being used and researched for pain management. Interestingly, Ibuprofen had the best results for relieving my pain while healing, and of course I didn't even bother to fill the percocet prescription. 

Management of nausea has been a challenge for doctors and pharma, but cannabis is helping with that aspect of well-being, so let's hope the business players of medicine embrace the anecdotal truths people know about these natural substances and make their medicines available with best effect.  

call it what u want ,but if all the alcoholics here in the kingdom

would stop the alcohol and turn to cannabis

this would be a big improvement

smokers are not agressive to anyone and maybe it would bring down the roadkills for 80%

as we say in my country een tevreden roker is geen onrust stoker

Public Health Ministry, Justice Ministry to remove cannabis, kratom from drugs list

tewit kemtong

75d89c4cd32b58de44d1fc850dcd9424.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Drugs Act of B.E. 2562 which was published in the Royal Gazette last February keeps cannabis and kratom off the drugs list, to allow them to be trialed for medical use. The Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Justice now plan to remove both types of plant from the drugs list.

Deputy Prime Minister/Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin, have signed an agreement on cooperation to study the effects of both cannabis and kratom being removed from the drugs list. Both agencies will conduct an analysis of the effects on cannabis and kratom after they have been removed from the drugs list as well as compile relevant laws and academic data for submission to the government as legislation to remove cannabis and kratom from the drugs list. Measures and medical recommendations will be provided for proper control of these types of plant.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports plan to promote Thailand as a Medical Hub with the second meeting of the directing committee for an international medical hub, approving six aspects of excellence in medical treatments which may draw the attention of foreigners and stimulate the national economy such as surgical beauty, transgender surgery, knee joints, cardiac systems, difficulties giving birth and dental care. Besides, Nuad Thai traditional massage which has been registered as Intangible Cultural Heritage will be upgraded to meet international standards.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-12-29

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports plan to promote Thailand as a Medical Hub with the second meeting of the directing committee for an international medical hub, approving six aspects of excellence in medical treatments which may draw the attention of foreigners and stimulate the national economy such as surgical beauty, transgender surgery, knee joints, cardiac systems, difficulties giving birth and dental care. Besides, Nuad Thai traditional massage which has been registered as Intangible Cultural Heritage will be upgraded to meet international standards.

A "Medical Hub" to "raw the attention of foreigners and stimulate the national economy such as surgical beauty, transgender surgery, knee joints, cardiac systems, difficulties giving birth and dental care", but perhaps not Alzheimers patients or others needing long-term care at Thai facilities.  Those it seems need a 'retirement visa' in order to stay. 
The Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports should perhaps consult with the Ministries of Health and the Ministry of Immigration before making any plans as the latter seems to be loathe to issue Medical Visas to those who should easily qualify, such as the foreign Alzheimer's patient who was receiving care at a Chiang Mai long-term care facility for Alzheimer's patients last year but was force to leave the country.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

BTW, can anyone explain how a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) today has the force "du juris" of an actual law?

In America, MOUs mean nothing in a court of law.  Basically, an MOU says you intend to do something in the future.

OK, as of today I have issued a MOU saying I intend to strengthen my legs enough to win the Olympic metal for high jump.  

Go ahead and congratulate me on winning my gold medal. ????

your participation trophy is in the post

Is this fake news that the leader has vowed to stop?  Kratom is still illegal, use at your own peril. If I was paranoid type I might think this is spread around so more people can be arrested and fined. Oh yes, Kratom will be legal for Thai's but not necessarily for tourist. Tourist may well need a special visa stamp, maybe 5000 baht stamp would do(monthly). 

13 hours ago, Inn Between said:

When I broke my ankle it didn't really hurt very much in the ambulance, but I was eventually given morphine at the hospital after a young doctor botched a temporary hot-splint setting that put me in extreme pain. It had absolutely no effect on me, so they gave me some more, and the same was true. The next day, they gave me two percocet tablets  as I was about to leave the hospital, and within 20 minutes I was vomiting violently. That continued for about an hour, and I was so sick for the next 3 days, I couldn't eat any solid food. 

It seems that not only do opiates not help my pain but can also make me violently ill, so I'm thrilled to hear of other sources being used and researched for pain management. Interestingly, Ibuprofen had the best results for relieving my pain while healing, and of course I didn't even bother to fill the percocet prescription. 

Management of nausea has been a challenge for doctors and pharma, but cannabis is helping with that aspect of well-being, so let's hope the business players of medicine embrace the anecdotal truths people know about these natural substances and make their medicines available with best effect.  

You should seriously consider wearing a medic alert of some type, if you were unconscious, or unable to communicate, in hospital you wouldn't want to be given something that would cause more problems. 

3 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

A "Medical Hub" to "raw the attention of foreigners and stimulate the national economy such as surgical beauty, transgender surgery, knee joints, cardiac systems, difficulties giving birth and dental care", but perhaps not Alzheimers patients or others needing long-term care at Thai facilities.  Those it seems need a 'retirement visa' in order to stay. 
The Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports should perhaps consult with the Ministries of Health and the Ministry of Immigration before making any plans as the latter seems to be loathe to issue Medical Visas to those who should easily qualify, such as the foreign Alzheimer's patient who was receiving care at a Chiang Mai long-term care facility for Alzheimer's patients last year but was force to leave the country.

I'm not a medical professional but it seems to me the list of treatments mentioned are for treatable conditions, things that can be fixed or done in a short time. Alzheimer's is not curable. 

As for the lady treated in Chiang mai and was moved to the Philippines by her family - no one forced her out of here. It was a pure economical decision by her daughter

“Those who use them can stop using it easily, and the leaves can be used as herb to relieve pain, fever, dysentery, or diarrhea. Also, it is better than morphine thirteen times in killing pain.” he said.

If these numbers would be from a reputable source, I'd believe it.

13 times stronger, or better than morphine? Please........

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Is this fake news that the leader has vowed to stop?  Kratom is still illegal, use at your own peril. If I was paranoid type I might think this is spread around so more people can be arrested and fined. Oh yes, Kratom will be legal for Thai's but not necessarily for tourist. Tourist may well need a special visa stamp, maybe 5000 baht stamp would do(monthly). 

I just got my ganja prescription 90 days ago

Archived