EU may need to extend deadline for trade talks with UK: von der Leyen

snoop1130

1 hour ago, samran said:

It’s not ‘som Nam naa’.

But if you are out of the common market you have the common EU tariff/quotas to deal with - the one they give all non EU/EEA countries trying to sell stuff into the EU. 

Even if tariffs are minimal, the extra compliance cost of shipping into the EU (remember you are out of the common market) adds a regulatory burden - customs forms, border delays etc - for the UK exporter to the EU. 

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

That works both ways...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Too many to be specific but briefly, regulations that all UK companies have to follow whether they export to the EU or not.

So do you mean that, in case UK decides to drop those regulations, they would not be replaced by similar UK regulations, i.e. to ensure consumer prorection  safety, heakth, etc... as most EU standards deal with. Would there really be a noticeable effect?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That seems to be one of the problem from some of those people in the UK. If the facts are not on your side and you know you can't win with words then you think it's time to punch someone.

I have a couple of friends in Thailand who are from the UK and they all agree with my point of view.

Maybe more of you should read The Guardian and learn from it. Then you would be better informed about your own country.

Besides the education section the Guardian isn't worth putting in the toilet. You have a couple of friends in Thailand who are from the UK and they agree with you. I have lots of friends from the UK in Thailand and they agree with me. Regardless, what has that got to do with it.

I don't need a left wing loony tree hugging paper to inform me about my own country. I have friends and family who live their, who can tell me much more than any rag can. It would seem that your information is wrong, as if I had read the Guardian we would have had a barmy commy terrorist loving Prime Minister in office today. Thankfully the majority of the people in the UK know better than you and your rubbish newspaper. May I suggest get a broader circle of UK friends here in Thailand so you won't look quite as ignorant.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Wow you’re really hard 

Tell me you were embarrassed writing that thuggish little missive, if you weren’t you should have been 

Did that offend your liberal views.

Telling the truth what would happen to someone saying what they did and I was telling it straight what would happen. No not embarrassed at all. I was helping the poster.

Feels a bit like a public service as obviously they are not from the UK or they wouldn't say such stupid things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:
27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That about sums it up. ???? 

So you take half a sentence from the quote. That about sums you up. No substance.

Did you notice his spelling? It seems not.

"There" and "their" is not a typing mistake. The letters are far away from each other on the keyboard.

"There" or "their" is a thinking mistake - or not so much thinking at all.

QED

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you notice his spelling? It seems not.

"There" and "their" is not a typing mistake. The letters are far away from each other on the keyboard.

"There" or "their" is a thinking mistake - or not so much thinking at all.

QED

How little you know! Everyone spells it like that in Spoonies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

It all depends on which economists you chose to believe, but what is certain is that we chose to leave the EU, it would be very undemocratic not to do so, do not let us fall into the trap of ignoring democracy. Can I at this point emphasise that the whole of the UK voted to leave the EU because I can just imagine what you've hidden up your sleeve.????

Any further delay is asinine. England demonstrated in the general election it wants to leave the EU.

This is where it starts to get tricky though. Delivering all those promises that have been made.

Personally I hope I am wrong. I hope Brexit will not be as bad as I fear. Who would want to see their nearest neighbors suffering? 

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So you are the grammar Police now. I didn't realise I was writing an academic paper. It is against the forum rules.

Hopefully the mods will remove your post. You deflect from the fact you know nothing about the British people. A bit like you knowing about Boris Johnson. Nothing.

I would give in whilst you can.

Some people think if they know i.e. 100 people and all those 100 people think similar then that must be true and it is for them the confirmation that everybody must think similar. NO!

If you want to know how people from all regions and all backgrounds and all social situations think then it's a good idea to also look at statistics. And if i.e. almost all experts are sure that it's impossible to make a comprehensive deal within one year then it makes sense to listen to those experts - even if you don't know any of those experts in person and even if all your buddies in the pub are sure it all can be done within one year.

P.S.: Better forget about that idea with the academic paper...

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The problem with statistics is they should be used for support not illumination - rather like a drunk uses a lamp post!

If everyone fails at something, the statistics suggest that no one can do it. Good job Dr, Bannister didn't think like you, or he'd never ran the first sub 4 minute mile! And countless others to in academia, science, sports etc.

One year is a very tall order, a massive challenge. Already the EU are being negative and excusing themselves for trying by claiming it's impossible. Possible or not, they need a marker in the sand, a target and making it a real challenging stretch target is a good idea given that the EU is a massive bureaucracy riddled with member state self interest.

I don't have the numbers. But if i.e. 99% of all free trade agreements needed more than two years to finish them. What gives you and others the idea this one will be finished in 1 year? It's impossible! And it makes a lot of sense to accept reality. But it seems lots of UK voters don't want to see reality. Yeah, please continue to dream about the unicorns. But maybe, just maybe, keep the possibility open that they don't exist.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Or put it another way, the average GDP of each country in the EU is 3.5%, the UK punches well above its weight at 13% and has the second biggest GDP after Germany. Don't underestimate how important the UK is to the EU, not only financially but in terms of other areas such as security.

Security issues will be taken care at security forums and these things are never discussed in the same context as trade. 

I never said that the UK wasn’t important, but it comes down to relative importance to each other as well as leverage each party can extract. The numbers bear it out that the even if the UK is punching above its weight, it is still 8 weight classes below its competitor. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think for that to come to any fruition you would need the backing of the majority of the Scots, it's not all about the SNP you know, I think I once read that 'in a democracy you can believe it or not, but in a dictatorship, you believe it or else' Now you wouldn't want the SNP dictating to the rest of the majority of Scotland now would you?

But I fear we are deviating a little of the topic, so to bring it back on topic.

The Hungarian State Minister for information and international representation has said "The British people made their decision. We can find a successful solution.”

The Hungarian government also said that recent attacks on Britain and Mr Johnson by the EU were “unacceptable”.

Mr Menczer said: “You saw a lot of EU leaders criticise Boris Johnson because of his policy.

“We think it is totally unacceptable. Nobody should criticise a leader if he or she is carrying out the will of the people – because that is democracy.”

Well if Hungarians wish to leave they may ...as we are not undemocratic holding anyone against their wish ….E.U. is fully trained now after the British Brexit …. "the Brexit blueprint" can be used for all who wish to become next one  (BTW  I was always already finding the expansion became to big to quick )