Sak Yant translation

FlowSize

Hey, so my friend just got a sak yant tattoo and I would like to know what it says.
I am quite fascinated by these types of art and would love to get this translated, its written in northern lanna script if that helps.

thanks for your help if you choose to do so :)

DSC_0319.JPG

@FlowSize is the face a tiger, dragon or hanuman? I can't tell because of the pealing but it looks like a Hanuman yant,

Bearers of Hanuman Yants are protected from danger as well as becoming fearless in the face of adversity. Hanuman also helps to strengthen self-confidence and can influence people on your behalf. There are many different variations of Yants with Hanuman. Some versions of the Hanuman Yant are used by women who wish to have a better relationship with their partner.  

14 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

@FlowSize is the face a tiger, dragon or hanuman? I can't tell because of the pealing but it looks like a Hanuman yant,

Bearers of Hanuman Yants are protected from danger as well as becoming fearless in the face of adversity. Hanuman also helps to strengthen self-confidence and can influence people on your behalf. There are many different variations of Yants with Hanuman. Some versions of the Hanuman Yant are used by women who wish to have a better relationship with their partner.  

Yep! It’s a Hanuman Yang. 
Thankyou for the description of the meaning of the yant itself. However I am still wondering what the actual text says within the tattoo.

I can't read the script but the squiggly things on the outside are called อณาโลม unalom in Pali or Urna in Sanskrit and represent the life of Buddha ending in enlightenment at the top the literal translation is "a tuft of hair between the eyebrows" as seen in all Buddha images. I also read it represents the hindu fire god Agni.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:59 AM, Nokawou said:

I can't read the script but the squiggly things on the outside are called อณาโลม unalom in Pali or Urna in Sanskrit and represent the life of Buddha ending in enlightenment at the top the literal translation is "a tuft of hair between the eyebrows" as seen in all Buddha images. I also read it represents the hindu fire god Agni.

Definitely good to know! 
I appreciate all help in translating ????

• 2 weeks later...

The Northern Thai on the right has got an interesting spelling.  A few years back, I was assured that that type of spelling was definitely wrong!  Can you give more details on the place of origin of the tattoo?  May I please use the photo as evidence of the spelling.

I'm going to have to transcribe and reread to work out the Pali and Northern Thai.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:51 PM, FlowSize said:

bump?

The Northern Thai reads, "อมผงเผ่าเถ้าธุลีฅงกระภัน" and is followed by a word consisting of unidentified consonant (TBC) plus sara aa.  It's word-for-word meaning is "strength dust tribe ash dust kongkraphan", which I can't render into idiomatic English.  The writing correctly uses kho khon, not kho khwaa.   I'm not confident in the reading เถ้า; it looks more like เถ่า to me.

The Pali looks like gibberish to me, but I can make out a few words, like Hanumana.  More effort is needed, but I think I may have to be content with transliterating it.

The Northern Thai bit is at least two words longer than I thought - we can add ชาตีสวาหะ.  Most sources give ชาตรี for the first word, which means 'brave'.  สวาหะ is a hard word to translate.  The way it is written shows that it starts with the cluster /sw/, rather than having a vowel between the letters as in Siamese.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:46 AM, Richard W said:

The Northern Thai on the right has got an interesting spelling.  A few years back, I was assured that that type of spelling was definitely wrong!  Can you give more details on the place of origin of the tattoo?  May I please use the photo as evidence of the spelling.

I'm going to have to transcribe and reread to work out the Pali and Northern Thai.

Sure can. This was done in chiang mai by ajarn Deang

I have just a minor comment about the pronunciation of this word is "Sak Yan", not "Sak Yant."  There is no need for the "t" sound at the end of the word because the last letter in the Thai spelling is silent because there is a silencer mark (called a Garan) above the last letter.

Another commom mispronunciation by foreigners is of the Thai word for "Island."  Foreigners often say, "Ko" when the correct pronunciation is more like, "Goh."  I mention this only because saying this word like, "Ko" to Thais might be misunderstood. I am aware that most foreigners do not know Thai enough to know the correct pronunciation, they merely what they hear from other foreigns.  Having said all that, I am not including any members of TVF in this group.

Edited by MASSMAN
Spelling

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 10:36 PM, FlowSize said:

Sure can. This was done in chiang mai by ajarn Deang

That's some reassurance, because my reading of the rest makes little sense.  For what it's worth, what I see after the Northern Thai is:

mabhichatataṃmabhaṃcalaṃmalaṃcati (indecipherable) hanumānanasaṃtaṃ
ahohaṃgānhāneha ahosi uddhaṃ addho

That contains a few words that I recognise - hanumāna 'Hanuman', ahosi 'it was', uddhaṃ 'above/ahead/hence' and addho 'a half (nom.s.)'.

(I've broken the text where the next syllable begins with a vowel.)

The inner text seems to read:

vāyulabha ahaṃnukānahithokaṃsaṃviṭhāpukayapasahavamadasana

There are a few words in there that I recognise, but I have no confidence that they are words in the utterance as opposed to coincidental sequences of letters.

I have transliterated the text as Pali where I have not identified it as Northern Thai.  I think you need a second opinion on the letters, as I may easily have misread some of them.  Additionally, I couldn't see a contrast between na and nā, so there are already potential ambiguities.