Vietnam trip

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We ( chinese gf and i) were in vietnam last september for 8 days....visited Saigon ( HCMC) and Vung Tau. No problems at all.....allthough must say the matresses in all hotelbeds were realy hard!!! Not

Phoney Tony said there was WMD in Iraq.....Vietnam is the fastest growing tourist attraction with millions of visitors every year....enjoy the experience and relax

My (American) wife and I will be traveling for our third trip to Vietnam. Our previous two trips were lengthy and fun. Never once were did we feel taken advantage of or treated disrespectfully. We enj

Posted Images

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Phoney Tony said there was WMD in Iraq.....Vietnam is the fastest growing tourist attraction with millions of visitors every year....enjoy the experience and relax

Just don,t mention the war.

• Sad 1

VN is indeed a highly dangerous place for handsome dudes to walk around there.. lol... fear not by good looking friend, i have just been there myself for 10 days and the place is ok to visit, if you don't minds the shocking lack of spoken english, the long wait at the airport to enter and the mediocre food to my big disappointment... other than that, it's not bad place to visit just don't expect much because you will not get much...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

VN is indeed a highly dangerous place for handsome dudes to walk around there.. lol... fear not by good looking friend, i have just been there myself for 10 days and the place is ok to visit, if you don't minds the shocking lack of spoken english, the long wait at the airport to enter and the mediocre food to my big disappointment... other than that, it's not bad place to visit just don't expect much because you will not get much...

Food in Vietnam " mediocre'...mmmmm i thought it was vokking good!!! Secobd the fact that english is badly spoken...but that also goes for Thailand imho.

Waiting for visa took 1.5 hrs at airport....i had letter of recomendation on forhand...with pics. I have been waiting longer sometimes at bkk airport...haha.

Hans.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

But enough about you, is your wife a stunner?

She (and you) should be prepared for a lot of the locals ignoring your Cary Grant looks and choosing to chat with her as they will assume she's a local. This will be wait staff, sales staff, hotel reception, taxi drivers and the like.

Are you insinuating that the locals will chat up your wife in your presence after a bit of naughty?

I think she's outstanding,   I am uncertain of what others might think.   

I am used to being ignored after introductions,  as I do not speak Thai, or Vietnamese.   I'm a quick study though,  and can figure thigs out pretty quick.

image.png.68b6810d2fa6f3d6061d7500193accab.png

5 hours ago, samuttodd said:

OK, We have elected to do an exploratory run into Viet territory.    I will provide a complete written report with updates when we have been placed in theatre. 

Good idea. I think you will like it.

Now, you seem to be focusing on rip-offs. To wit: The taxi ride from Saigon airport to downtown should run 130,000 - 150,000 VND depending on traffic. Only take Mai Linh or Vinasun taxis at the airport lineup just outside the customs hall exit. Insist on it with the touts, who will be wearing taxi uniforms in company colours. They speak English.

If you need VND on arrival, just outside the customs hall are kiosks for mobile phone SIMs and Viet bank exchanges desks. Go to Exim Bank on the far right. They tended to have good rates. Pick up more VND later downtown at the gold shops or actual exchanges. I always have Exim or ACB Bank for-ex tables up and ready on my phone to check what the rate should be. You can check the rates via the SGN Airport free wi-fi. I've never been quoted outrageous exchange rates. But then, I don't shop in the markets.

After that, I really don't think you're going to be a price victim unless you insist on going to the Ben Thanh market or other places where you have to negotiate prices. However, your wife is used to this kind of thing so let her do the talking. Vendors are very likely to have good English speaking staffer or two, after they discover your wife's not Vietnamese, as noted by Nan Laew above.

There have been many good threads on all the VN issues in this subforum.

• Like 2