Microsleep! Ominous word kicks off the "Seven Deadly Days" as mayor killed

rooster59

Microsleep! Ominous word kicks off the "Seven Deadly Days" as mayor killed

crash.JPG

Image: Daily News

It may be a word heard frequently over the next week or so - what the Thais call "lap nai" or microsleep or falling asleep behind the wheel of a vehicle. 

Police in Petchabun are blaming this for the death of a mayor and severe injuries to seven other people after a minivan crossed the central reservation and collided with a pick-up coming in the opposite direction. 

Mayor of Tandiaw sub-district of Lomsak Sainapha Phu-in-oi, 56, was travelling with another female in the van driven by Thaweewut. 

The van hit the pick-up driven by 50 year old Samruay who was with four relatives. 

The accident happened in Muang district on the Saraburi to Lomsak Road, between KM markers 228 and 229. 

Microsleep has been increasingly blamed recently as the cause of death and injury on the Thai roads, some of the most deadly in the world according to accident statistics.

Large signs have been erected on major routes throughout the kingdom advising people to stop and rest if they think they are dropping off to sleep behind the wheel. 

sign.JPG

The seven deadly days are the so called period around holidays such as New Year and Songkran when a great deal of traffic is on the roads and the authorities step up measures to limit road accidents.

Around 25,000 people are thought to die annually on Thailand's roads, notes Thaivisa.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-28

6 hours ago, Chazar said:

Microidiots are what they should  really be  called........or  microimbeciles? 

erratum:  macroidiots 

there is a thread on TD called thai's sleeping. filled with pics of sleeping anywhere/everywhere

Edited by atyclb

As someone afflicted with narcolepsy, I have a little more empathy than most.  It's treatable, so it isn't life threatening for me any more. 

But before we put a label on it and I got proper treatment, I was a hazard behind the wheel.  Not all the time, but often enough...

Thinking about this I can only now appreciate why micro sleep is such a big problem. Due to the chaotic noise found in Thailand people don't get the sleep and rest they need in the evening so the body has no choice but to try to make it up during opportunities in the day. It's good they are aware of the problem and I have seen those road signs everywhere. But it's unlikely they will be able to solve the source of the problem. Personally I think Thailand should forget about reducing fatalities on the road. Instead they should shift their entire focus to transitioning to self driving vehicles as soon as possible that won't sleep or drive drunk, knows the rules, and obeys them.

• 5 months later...

Microsleep is a lot more common than people realize. Tiredness, playing computer games and any thing thats boring are some of the causes. When driving years ago (1600 Kilometers a week) I found that I started biting my nails when I was tired. It was the first sign of being tired, at which point I pulled into the first rest area to close my eyes for a little while.

I used to bite my nails but I gave up years ago. I never bite my nails at any other time.