receive calls via DTAC call when abroad?

kartoshka

16 minutes ago, kartoshka said:

Incoming calls #3. --> does free of charge assume that I receive a call while being physically in Thailand or anywhere in the world?

If you read more carefully the first paragraph it says:

To make/receive a call and send/receive SMS on dtac call application, the service fee will be charged based on your current package as if you are in Thailand

Edited by lkv

16 minutes ago, kartoshka said:

What does that mean?  I have no package. I'm outside of Thailand.

Package means the tarriff plan your sim card is under.

Meaning, it will cost you the same rate per minute (or per second) when making calls via dtac app as when you are making regular calls as if you were in Thailand.

Receiving calls is free of charge, regardless of location.

Edited by lkv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am headed to Canada and New Zealand in the very near future, so for voice call functionality, I installed the "DTAC CALL" application.  DTAC have an english language page here which describes the package.

It works with those who have a DTAC sim already in their phone.  When abroad, and when one is under WiFi coverage, one can phone Thailand at local Thai rates, and receive voice calls from Thailand at local Thai rates.  This appears highly useful.

I set up the package (here in Phuket) on my Xiaomi Mi-8 smartphone.   I tried some local calls going out via the DTAC wifi package (ie called out via wifi) to a regular Thai phone number and it worked.  I was also able (over wifi) to receive a call on my phone.  In my test I put my phone into Airplane mode, and re-enabled ONLY wifi - so I am pretty confident the calls came in / went out over wifi.  The Android "DTAC Call" app also indicated that was the case.

It was initially a bit tricky for me to receive calls (via wifi) when the app was running in the background. I eventually discovered I had to turn ON popup permissions for the DTAC Call app, after which I was able to receive calls over wifi (when someone called my wifi number).

In my view, this DTAC Call app is a very useful addition to apps such as WhatsApp and Line, as the DTAC call app uses one's regular Thai mobile phone number at local Thai rates.

I'll find out soon (when in Canada and New Zealand) how this still works when abroad.

The app is great because it works on any compatible phone, which is a lot more models than wifi calling. And also because most networks disable wifi calling if you're abroad. With the possible exception if you've got a VPN on your phone.

But to make this work and be available as though you're in Thailand, wifi needs to be on and the app active at all times (except when you sleep?), so it's going to eat more battery.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm abroad. Some people has tried to call me and all the time they've gotten "number isn't active'. I've tried too, via skype -- "number is inactive" again.

My number is active, I see that in my "dtac online" dashboard.  I've used it for years, abroad too.

In the App the checkbox "receive calls via the dtac call app" is on.

What's the matter?

Edited by miskanotaji

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, Langsuan Man said:

I don''t know, I just keep an extra older phone with my Thai DTAC SIM when I am in the US just for OTOP's and turn it on when I know one is coming 

I would like to do the same but seem unable to do so.  I am in USA and have an Android with a DTAC sim.  I do not have a US provider, I use google voice with my wifi.   I have selected my DTAC sim but it seems to be fast asleep.  Can you provide any help?  Thank you.

21 hours ago, thaibook said:

I have selected my DTAC sim but it seems to be fast asleep.  Can you provide any help?

Do you have International roaming with DTAC ?  

Even if you don't use voice calling your DTAC account must allow International roaming for texting.  If memory serves me correctly it was some small amount as a one time payment, like 20 Baht or so, but I did it here in Thailand

Also the "extra phone " with DTAC SIM is the same phone and SIM I use for 6 months per year while I am in Thailand

If you do have roaming then I would suggest that you remove the SIM and insert it again and then turn on your phone.  If you have a multi SIM phone, I would recommend only re-inserting the DTAC SIM and remove all others