VIDEO: Lampang woman seriously injured as she is hit by ‘exploding’ manhole cover

rooster59

VIDEO: Lampang woman seriously injured as she is hit by ‘exploding’ manhole cover

cover.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

An explosion under a road in Lampang in northern Thailand caused a manhole cover to burst free and hit a motorcycle being ridden by a 22 year old woman. 

Ratee-Anothai came off and suffered serious injuries and was in surgery in hospital. 

She is a seller of pork on a stick in the city. 

The explosion happened on Thursday outside a cinema on the Tha Khraw Noi Road in Muang district.

It is believed compressed gasses exploded but an investigation is underway.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-28

whoa, that was quite an explosion, was it terrorist related??

Could have been a build up of sewer gas being ignited by passing engines on motorcys or cars of course.  Or maybe fuel of some sort washed into the sewer system ,  seem the sewers here are dumping grounds for anything.

Chances chances are that everyone in the area are pumping their crappers into the drains hence methane gas, I can recall a story of an Australian soldier lighting a smoke in a porta - loo ( boom) he died a few months later from his burns.

4 hours ago, IraqRon said:

whoa, that was quite an explosion, was it terrorist related??

Could have been a build up of sewer gas being ignited by passing engines on motorcys or cars of course.  Or maybe fuel of some sort washed into the sewer system ,  seem the sewers here are dumping grounds for anything.

Methane, most likely, from waste pipe or from sewage

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It is believed compressed gasses exploded

Let me think... What else would blow a motorcycle 10 feet in the air and pop a manhole cover like that??  Dynamite?? I'll go with the gas idea, but doesn't have to be compressed.

I'm always afraid of riding over gratings and manhole covers, mainly afraid that they are missing, loose, or broken. Not expecting them to explode.

Looping this over and over, it would appear her bike had caused the sewer gas ignition as she was directly over it, and she was thrown forward while the bike rotated a few times in the air landing on its wheels before falling over. Probably wouldn't have been so bad, but the idiot rider behind her continued on and drove right over her falling on top of her, probably causing her much of her injuries. It could have been worse, as around 3 seconds after the explosion, you can see the manhole cover return to earth, landing on the street, luckily not on her or anyone. Quite a lot of force involved considering that the lady and her bike already absorbed a fair bit of energy, and that it must have reached quite a height being in the air for 3 seconds, gravitational acceleration being 9.8 meters per second. Hope she recovers quickly.

39 minutes ago, tandor said:

...why on earth report she sells pork on a stick...totally irrelevant..the mere fact you say she is a 22 year old woman is ample...I hope she recovers..something you didn't bother to mention.

Describing the pork is on a stick seems over-the-top to me. Besides that, shouldn't it be a "person hole" cover?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

That was like something out of a sci-fi movie. That woman was absolutely slammed. Hope she recovers quickly. Fortunately, that is a relatively rare occurrence. Bizarre. 

Yep, didn't that happen in End of Days? Maybe 2020 is about to turn nasty eh?

Poor woman, going to be in bed for a while after that.

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Methane, most likely, from waste pipe or from sewage

I doubt if the drains are ever pumped out... I've watched them building the new Drains in cosy beach and Pattaya. They don't even remove all the construction materials. This will contribute to later blockages. Many drains in BKK and Pattaya, have the grates covered, therefore any gas buildup, can't escape.. 

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Yep, didn't that happen in End of Days? Maybe 2020 is about to turn nasty eh?

Poor woman, going to be in bed for a while after that.

There is a Thai superstition to be careful just before the New Year as any bad luck then means that it gets worse in the New Year, or something similar to that. My wife is half paranoid about it.

1 hour ago, JesseHumphry said:

Why is it that there's always someone like you trying to create a problem like this that isn't there

Not a problem - just a tongue in cheek comment to me - getting a dig in at the P.C. brigade?

4 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Two things have always concerned me.

1. Lack or proper grounding in electric lines.

2. Methane gas management. 

… to not forget:

(3) Trafic

(4) Lack of Law enforcement

(5) Corruption

(6) Poor HSE management

… to mention some ...

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Let me think... What else would blow a motorcycle 10 feet in the air and pop a manhole cover like that??  Dynamite?? I'll go with the gas idea, but doesn't have to be compressed.

There's no direct gas supplies in the area certainly not underground, it can only be a build-up of methane or other fuel waste dumped into the sewage system. She was un-lucky in every sense of the word, one second riding along then boom 15ft into the air.

Hope the authorities are taking responsibility and I don't mean just putting the manhole cover back into place. She needs hospital treatment and compensation for loss of earnings as well as sustaining considerable trauma. Plus a thorough investigation into what is lurking below ground?

11 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

There's no direct gas supplies in the area certainly not underground, it can only be a build-up of methane or other fuel waste dumped into the sewage system. She was un-lucky in every sense of the word, one second riding along then boom 15ft into the air.

Hope the authorities are taking responsibility and I don't mean just putting the manhole cover back into place. She needs hospital treatment and compensation for loss of earnings as well as sustaining considerable trauma. Plus a thorough investigation into what is lurking below ground?

Whatever was lurking there, was dissipated once the explosion occurred.

Methane, should be harvested for energy.  

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to read the outcome of the investigation.

The risk is that the truth may never be revealed if some hotshot is in danger of losing face - an uncultured that is the direct cause of the development of this country goes in a snail's pace which in turn may be the reason why we love it ... :thumbsup:

Hopefully a quick recovery for the unlucky girl!

Archived