Is Health Insurance affordable for young Thais?

rockyysdt

9 minutes ago, PPMMUU said:

"unconscious and in a critical state." from "extensive binge" is rarely a true emergency that need intensive care for 10 days

He may have been admitted and intubated in the nearest hospital and be transferred to government hospital immediately and the bill would have been covered by the "emergency scheme" (free for first 72 hr anywhere but only for life-threatening condition)

But if the families denied transfer, they have to pay in full. The critical condition is virtually gone after the patient was intubated.

I don't really understand.

Leg injury, sustained by crashing a motorcycle.

Isn't this covered for 30b?

At which point does it become chargeable?

For example:

1. Initial emergency visit after crash, stay 3 - 5 days.

2. Return to investigate if further care required, followed by surgery.

3 hours ago, rockyysdt said:

I don't really understand.

Leg injury, sustained by crashing a motorcycle.

Isn't this covered for 30b?

At which point does it become chargeable?

For example:

1. Initial emergency visit after crash, stay 3 - 5 days.

2. Return to investigate if further care required, followed by surgery.

Not chargeable if he was at the government hospital where he is registered under the 30 baht scheme.

If he was elsewhere and refused to be transferred to it then yes. But it sounds like this occurred somewhere with no private hospital.

Did it occur where he lives?

You need to get clear:

Where is he registreed undre the 30 baht scheme?

Where did he receive tretament?

The fact that they have told you something that is not only untrue but that every single Thai knows is not true ("30 baht scheme is only for people over 60") , makes me doubt the whole story.

• Like 1

Funny how people say it is a bad idea to tell Thais and get a proper insurance. I beg the difference as you will never get treatments at private hospitals for free.
My son is insured with me and I will eventually include my wife as well, I have more faith in the private hospitals here than the public ones.

Guess it depends if you want a clean professional hospital with a proper room and experts or not, as well modern treatment methods etc etc.
The service is quite a bit different too, would be more happy to get into a room right away than to be ditched on a stretcher in open-air at the entrance.

The insurance cost for my son is only around 1000 baht a month more too. Worldwide coverage.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Not chargeable if he was at the government hospital where he is registered under the 30 baht scheme.

If he was elsewhere and refused to be transferred to it then yes. But it sounds like this occurred somewhere with no private hospital.

Did it occur where he lives?

You need to get clear:

Where is he registreed undre the 30 baht scheme?

Where did he receive tretament?

The fact that they have told you something that is not only untrue but that every single Thai knows is not true ("30 baht scheme is only for people over 60") , makes me doubt the whole story.

Thanks Cheryl.

The son has lived and worked in Bangkok for a number of years.

He was on holidays at the family home in Ta Bo with his mother.

If he was registered in Bangkok, then a transfer (1,000kms) would have been difficult for a road trauma patient.

I don't think that would have been a humane option.

Does this make a difference?

Edited by rockyysdt

4 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

Thanks Cheryl.

The son has lived and worked in Bangkok for a number of years.

He was on holidays at the family home in Ta Bo with his mother.

If he was registered in Bangkok, then a transfer (1,000kms) would have been difficult for a road trauma patient.

I don't think that would have been a humane option.

Does this make a difference?

It is unlikely he is registered in Bangkok, people from the provinces  seldom change their house registration when working in Bangkok.  But in the unlikely event that he is registered in Bangkok (i.e. listed in a house book in Bangkok...I much doubt that) then he couldstill be treated under the scheme without charge at the nearest government hospital in an emergency and for as long as it takes to get him able to travel. However it is true that people often have trouble making this happen in practice and it often takes a call to the NHSO, number of which has already been provided in this thread. But I really doubt this was the situation. He was probably treated at the hospital where he is registered.

Again the questions are:

Where is he registered under the 30 baht scheme? In other words -- as it is the same thing -- where he is he listed in a tabian ban (house registration)?

Where did he get treatment?

But as they attempted to lie to you on the very nature of the 30 baht scheme I am not sure you will succeed in getting straight answers.

If you want to post a pix of the bill here feel free, just black out the part with the name and hospital number.  At least we will be able to tell you where the treatment occurred and whether he is being billed for everything or rather a discrete portion of the bill, which might shed some light.

But frankly the "30 baht scheme only covers the elderly" bit is so egregious a lie that I think you may be wasting your and our time. If they had said "there are some parts of the bill the 30 baht scheme doesn't cover" or "he was treated at a different  hospital than where he was registered" there would be morel likelihood there is some sort of  real story here. But neither is apparently what they said, they attempted to mislead you about the government health system.

Which by the way is a very, very common scam here with foreigners.

If someone is in an emergency state and was admitted to any government hospital the 30 baht would have cover most if not all of the expense. (that exceed 30000 baht of course if it was a motor vehicle related accident)

It would have been an issue only if the son was admitted to a private hospital.

He didn't have to be transferred to the hospital in Bangkok (1000 km-ish). He just have to be transferred to some capable government hospital in the area.

• 2 months later...

Sheryl, I so much appeciate your invaluable advice here. You must have helped many hundreds if not thousands of members and even non-members over the years. Thank you. 
I searched the thread for the NHSO number and could not find it. Would you mind reposting?

16 minutes ago, PMK said:

Sheryl, I so much appeciate your invaluable advice here. You must have helped many hundreds if not thousands of members and even non-members over the years. Thank you. 
I searched the thread for the NHSO number and could not find it. Would you mind reposting?

Call center 1330

http://eng.nhso.go.th/view/1/Home/EN-US