Old Toshiba Lap Top...

transam

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

I have a 7 year old chromebook, still going strong.  I only solve Windows problems for my dad, who is retired from Univac, and slipped me 1500 for Christmas..all others are told they will pay first, or simp!y laughed at.  Being your own visa agent is a better use of time and also pays better, than trying magic tricks on old Windows machines.  Microsoft is a disgrace.

But I enjoy fooling with them...Just fixed two for friends, good fun..

Now tell me, what is "TOnce.lnk".....   ????

4 hours ago, transam said:

After it has started and loaded a pop up appears on screen, it says file "TOnce.lnk" (spelled like that) disabled, windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Problem is I cannot find TOnce.lnk on the PC. I just click cancel and it goes away, but would like to remove it....Any ideas.....????

Sorry if somebody else has mentioned this but the thread is at 4 pages and I'm not in a good place to read it all.

I had an old Toshiba laptop, circa 2006 and always had to contend with an annoying, baked-in Toshiba assistance program always running in the background that loved popping up similar arcane messages, invariably at a totally inopportune moment when I was trying to finish something in a hurry.

I don't recall the exact name but it defied all attempts by my more computer savvy friends to get rid of it.

I would not be at all surprised if that is your culprit. 

TO stands for Toshiba as you've no doubt guessed.  NCE is for Natural Colour Enhancer which is a Toshiba approach for colour optimisation on display devices such as projectors.  You can see it mentioned in the link attached.  I suspect the laptop has been connected to a projector at some point and whatever it needed to operate the projector hasn't been removed correctly, leaving you the shortcut to nowhere.  That or the same technology was used by Toshiba maybe in the display driver for the laptop itself.

As to how to remove it, I have used Revo Uninstaller in the past to tidy up partially removed programs, but it sounds you can't find what you'd like to remove, ie whatever is calling the .lnk file, but maybe the above will point you in the right direction.  Alternatively remove any display drivers or anything that looks like it may be related and re-install.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_3690.pdf

NB.  The above might be totally off the mark, but it's my best shot.

5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

But why run with a years old install?

It was given to me to retrieve some info then dump it. I had a bit of fun sorting it, now it is a spare for emergencies, nothing else.

In fact, it works a treat, loads in about 30 seconds, downloads in very little time (my cleaning progs), so to me an LT with only 3GB is probably best staying with Vista..

Even my paid for security works on it, so, a good spare. ????

Just now, transam said:

It was given to me to retrieve some info then dump it. I had a bit of fun sorting it, now it is a spare for emergencies, nothing else.

In fact, it works a treat, loads in about 30 seconds, downloads in very little time (my cleaning progs), so to me an LT with only 3GB is probably best staying with Vista..

Even my paid for security works on it, so, a good spare. ????

Are you nuts?

No reason to be staying with Vista at all.

The latest Browsers are not compatible, so what is the point?

It costs you nothing to change/upgrade the OS, so what is the benefit of staying with an outdated OS?

I have a ten year old Toshiba running Windows 10 64 bit, so there is no impediment to installing 10 or even 7 for that matter.

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Are you nuts?

No reason to be staying with Vista at all.

The latest Browsers are not compatible, so what is the point?

It costs you nothing to change/upgrade the OS, so what is the benefit of staying with an outdated OS?

I have a ten year old Toshiba running Windows 10 64 bit, so there is no impediment to installing 10 or even 7 for that matter.

Google Chrome works fine on the LT, my DT uses W10 with 8GB of RAM for what I do. As I said, the LT is just a backup in case I am fiddling with my main PC..

As for "nuts", I probably am on a daily basis, I like it that way...????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Google Chrome works fine on the LT, my DT uses W10 with 8GB of RAM for what I do. As I said, the LT is just a backup in case I am fiddling with my main PC..

As for "nuts", I probably am on a daily basis, I like it that way...????

As a backup, still no reason to be running Vista. None at all. Just a waste of time looking for Toshiba Bloatware to delete, instead of simply running a clean install of 7 or 10.

Just don't get why you would do that.

10 easier, as you don't have to mess around installing Drivers. 32 bit if you are averse to 64 bit on 3 GB of RAM

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

As a backup, still no reason to be running Vista. None at all. Just a waste of time looking for Toshiba Bloatware to delete, instead of simply running a clean install of 7 or 10.

Just don't get why you would do that.

10 easier, as you don't have to mess around installing Drivers. 32 bit if you are averse to 64 bit on 3 GB of RAM

Drivers are up to date, my programs deal with that stuff..Stop worrying...????‍????

57 minutes ago, transam said:

Drivers are up to date, my programs deal with that stuff..Stop worrying...????‍????

What are you talking? Drivers are up to date? How can Vista Drivers be up to date?

Programs dealing with that stuff? You are confused. You just have the latest Drivers that work with Vista. Perhaps you are thinking that those Driver update programs somehow magic up to date Drivers.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows Vista on April 10, 2012, while extended support ended on April 11, 2017

So anyone exploiting holes in Vista is prevented in doing so because of your Driver update program? No. It has no bearing on that at all. Driver update programs provides zero protection against malicious attacks.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What are you talking? Drivers are up to date? How can Vista Drivers be up to date?

Programs dealing with that stuff? You are confused. You just have the latest Drivers that work with Vista. Perhaps you are thinking that those Driver update programs somehow magic up to date Drivers.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows Vista on April 10, 2012, while extended support ended on April 11, 2017

So anyone exploiting holes in Vista is prevented in doing so because of your Driver update program? No. It has no bearing on that at all. Driver update programs provides zero protection against malicious attacks.

Who mentioned malicious attacks.....?

I have no problems with malicious attacks, I have driver up daters, I have no problems except the minor one this thread is about.

Now calm down chap....????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Who mentioned malicious attacks.....?

I have no problems with malicious attacks, I have driver up daters, I have no problems except the minor one this thread is about.

Now calm down chap....????

Seems that you totally missed the point about Driver 'up daters'. Have a nice day.

Archived