What are the best Apps to install on new Android TV?

giddyup

If you buy a Sony Bravia there is a known fault that makes the TV reboot frequently if you use a VPN.  It is only on New Bravia TVs and does not happen on old Bravia.  Sony say, wait until the next version and it may be fixed.

My 55" Smart TV is unfortunately not as smart as my Android Box. I am not sure if all Smart TVs are the same but the onboard apps on my TV are very limited and not very usefull, whilst the STB has more apps than you can shake a stick at.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Ask the same question using Google and you'll get the info you want. There are several lists of nice apps for an Android box. 

Yes, I know what Google is, but I was asking for first hand opinions/experience about Apps from TV members. Feel free not to participate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

My 55" Smart TV is unfortunately not as smart as my Android Box. I am not sure if all Smart TVs are the same but the onboard apps on my TV are very limited and not very usefull, whilst the STB has more apps than you can shake a stick at.

I think any App you can get on your box you should be able to get on an Android TV. You may have to use Search to find some as they aren't installed.

Just now, wgdanson said:

Get something like an Intel NUC, mini Windows PC, connect HDMI, and the world is at your mouse-tips!

Maybe that's the way to go, but I like to watch TV in bed, and wouldn't that mean having a small PC and keyboard sitting on my lap?

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Maybe that's the way to go, but I like to watch TV in bed, and wouldn't that mean having a small PC and keyboard sitting on my lap?

The NUC is 5'x5x3 inches (same as an Android box), and I have got a wireless mini keypad/mouse pad for Bht 150 off Lazada. Works perfectly, and you can have all the Windows App you want as well. Express VPN means I can get all UK channels and USTVGO.TV gives all USA channels which includes Premiership matches on NBC or ESPN. And you can put Bittorrent on it, and there are all your movies.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The NUC is 5'x5x3 inches (same as an Android box), and I have got a wireless mini keypad/mouse pad for Bht 150 off Lazada. Works perfectly, and you can have all the Windows App you want as well. Express VPN means I can get all UK channels and USTVGO.TV gives all USA channels which includes Premiership matches on NBC or ESPN. And you can put Bittorrent on it, and there are all your movies.

The NUC costs as my new TV did!

Don't need Windows to watch TV. Just plug in an Android box and install Kodi for all your home collection, Tivimate or IPTVSmarters to access your premium IPTV services and a free VPN like Thunder to watch BBC iPlayer etc. Cost about 2200THB for decent Android box, 300THB/m for IPTV premium services, most the rest free (I bought Tivimate as the app is worth it but YMMV).

On 12/28/2019 at 11:18 AM, giddyup said:

I mainly watch movies and TV series

How do you mainly get your movies and TV series? If downloaded by torrent then watch/library catalogue them with Kodi. If you stream each movie episode there are Kodi addons for that but maybe simpler to use one of the many android apps. Personally I find it easier/faster with torrents and Kodi but YMMV.

Just now, MJKT2014 said:

How do you mainly get your movies and TV series? If downloaded by torrent then watch/library catalogue them with Kodi. If you stream each movie episode there are Kodi addons for that but maybe simpler to use one of the many android apps. Personally I find it easier/faster with torrents and Kodi but YMMV.

Yes, DL by torrent. I just added the Plex app. and believe that can do the same thing, but haven't tested it yet.

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's not too bad. I had a look online and saw them for 10,000 baht and up. How do you load it, is it wireless?

Wireless, Bluetooth, LAN. You must put an SSD and RAM in it, install W10, or Linux. It's the second one I have had and it does everything I need, and only take 18 watts of electric, like a laptop. Mine goes into a 60 inch Samsung with the sound into some M Audio studio monitors.....great! And cos it is W10, I save all my movies and music onto One Drive and so can access from my big PC or the NUC.NUC.thumb.jpg.ec62e1f8d7e0a232636fafef1f78d3cf.jpg

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

Just now, wgdanson said:

Wireless, Bluetooth, LAN. You must put an SSD and RAM in it, install W10, or Linux. It's the second one I have had and it does everything I need, and only take 18 watts of electric, like a laptop. Mine goes into a 60 inch Samsung....great!

I thought I saw somewhere the NUC comes with Win 10 installed. I just want to buy something I can just plug and play.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I thought I saw somewhere the NUC comes with Win 10 installed. I just want to buy something I can just plug and play.

Maybe some sellers install W10 for you, but beware of bloat and mal ware. Better do it yourself, it's easy.

• Like 1

if your tv is anything like our TCL it's a nightmare to install apps, you have to transfer apks with a mobile phone. also the tv's usually don't have enough memory and end up buffering. as for apps there are 2 awesome ones but have to be installed by downloading the apk as they're not in google store. for all your live tv needs there is livenettv and for your tv series and movies there is teatv. 

https://www.livenettv.sc

https://teatv.me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

Don't need Windows to watch TV. Just plug in an Android box and install Kodi for all your home collection, Tivimate or IPTVSmarters to access your premium IPTV services and a free VPN like Thunder to watch BBC iPlayer etc. Cost about 2200THB for decent Android box, 300THB/m for IPTV premium services, most the rest free (I bought Tivimate as the app is worth it but YMMV).

Not sure about Thunder VPN. Read this https://www.hidemytraffic.com/thundervpn-review/ 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes, I know what Google is, but I was asking for first hand opinions/experience about Apps from TV members. Feel free not to participate.

The info you get about apps for an Android box on Google is better than here. Another persons personal experience isn't always the best.