Baht or Bucks?

Nyezhov

Im going to Siem Reap, then to PP, then Overland to BKK with a stop in Koh Chang. I really dont feel like breaking into my USD stash especially since I have a ton of baht. I do have a THB account and Transferwise for USD ATM use.

Can I get by with baht in Cambo?

Not at all in Phnom Penh it is dollars all the way.

You can use baht near the border, I'm not sure how much in Siem Reap. You will not get the best rate using baht though.

Change to dollars - or use a Thai ATM card to withdraw from your Thai account in dollars

So basically, take a wad of baht over to Vasu or Superrich and get some greenbacks. Or dip into my stash of Cs and get smalls.

Whats a good amount to take you think.... $100 a day exclusive of hotels?

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

So basically, take a wad of baht over to Vasu or Superrich and get some greenbacks. Or dip into my stash of Cs and get smalls.

Whats a good amount to take you think.... $100 a day exclusive of hotels?

A meal is $3-$5, a draft beer 50-75 cents, whiskey $2-$3. PassApp tuktuk $1.50 or thereabouts. Cigs $1.50.

Now, if you go to some super-friendly bars and the super-friendly staff surround you and put loads of super-friendly drinks on your tab, well, the sky's the limit. Up to you, mate.

Take some $US small bills with you but wait till you get to SR and PP and change more baht into $US as you need them. I always found the street-side exchanges pretty decent.

In PP, use the exchanges farthest from the Central Market or farthest from Riverside. You will pay a big premium if you use the ones right inside or just on the outside of say Central Market. Check the Cambodian banks (Canadia, ABA, Acleda) online for-ex tables and work from there. In the past, the street-side exchanges weren't a lot better than say, Canadia Bank in Sorya Shopping Center (St. 63, 100 metres from Central Market).

Can't remember the SR rates but always go to ones farthest from the main tourist streets such as Pub Street. Or just check and compare. If you want to change say 5000 baht, figure out the range of exchange amounts you will accept before you ask, how much? Some exchanges will have the rates on the wall boards. Those are the ones I favour.

With a thai atm card, ( i use scb) Cambodian banks only charge 100 baht for using the machine and the rates are good, so just do that as they spit out $$, set ur limit before u head over.

The kandal market in PP has lots of money changer.  Angkor ticket is $37/day or $62 for 3 days

My expenditures in Cambodia, (minus gas for car) average $40/day for 2 of us. NO alcohol or bar girl drinks   ????

Get a good air con hotel everywhere for under $20/night

Baht to dollars...the rates better here or there?

32 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

My expenditures in Cambodia, (minus gas for car) average $40/day for 2 of us. NO alcohol or bar girl drinks  

No booze ????

3 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

A meal is $3-$5, a draft beer 50-75 cents, whiskey $2-$3. PassApp tuktuk $1.50 or thereabouts. Cigs $1.50.

So same as here in Bangkok. Booze is cheaper.

Archived