Welcome to Thailand 1st 3 taxi not want to use meter!!

Elkski

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Flagged down all 3 taxis.  My thai friend  expects  70% rejection.   They dont even want to take her.  This has been my experience  7 trips  6 months  total.   

Grab is the only sensible choice in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The crooks are frequently allowed to park in front of government offices (maybe they are even on the clock).  I approached one in front of Nonthaburi immigration last week, I got in, told him meter, and I told him Nonthabuibul Pibul  2 Pier...he pointed to a decal on the windshield..mumbles something, but wouldn't do it...still baffled a bit, but traffic wasn't bad, and it would have been 100 or so On the meter...Surprising more taxi driver don't get the cra beat out of them more often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

Flagged down all 3 taxis.  My thai friend  expects  70% rejection.   They dont even want to take her.  This has been my experience  7 trips  6 months  total.   

This has been going on for over 10 years. 18 years ago it was a different story but don't expect it to get any better. The mafia (taxi crew) just will pay off anyone who can take their business.

In Thailand sadly little changes unless the TAT say it has????

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

You had more bad luck in one single day than me in many years. I never made this experience at the airport. 2 times I entered a taxi in the city, the driver didn´t turn on the meter, I said "meter please" and he turned it on. 

Same same, many times.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In my experience about the only trips that smelled bad were those visa runs vans - and it was not the Thai driver.  Of course an exception might be a ripe durian shopper being a previous taxi customer.   

I know through experience that Isaan people are usually very clean.

I can't say that about some foreigners I have met here before.

Only a shower every two or three days in the heat can cause an ugly smell. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I know through experience that Isaan people are usually very clean.

Showering often doesn't mean a person is clean.

They usually live in squalor and don't wash their hands after taking a poop.

If I were to shake hands with someone, or have them cook my food, I'd prefer they showered less, and washed their hands more. I know, it's a personal preference.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

A somewhat alternative opinion.

Always tell destination you want to go and request 'meter please' before stepping in the cab.

Actually a good thing when the taxi-driver turns you down, as you are dealing with a non-honest one.

So just turn him down and ask the next one.

When the cab-driver looks OK and quotes a fare (instead of using the meter), that's OK for me too when I am knowledgeable about the regular meter-fare for the trip and it's approx same.  Additional advantage would be that they will take shortest route in that case.

It gets tiresome asking 6 taxis in a row, just to be told No.  (Example: Sukhimvit 22 to Ekammai, 2pm in the afternoon).

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, johng said:

I agree with harassing them for not using the meter..but not for refusal to go to certain destinations..it should be up to them

( the driver) if they want to accept a customer or not..lots of reasons not to want certain destinations or certain people in the back of your car !!

The whole concept is to provide a 'public service' - the taxi companies have paid a license to operate to provide this service under specific conditions and regulations, drivers have also agreed to this. 

If the drivers could cherry pick their destinations, avoid busy areas or areas where there is less opportunity for a return journey the taxi system would fail some people and as a consequence the borderline 'driver' would choose to drive instead. 

I am one of these borderline people who either drives everywhere or rides my motorcycle because I can't be bothered dealing with the Taxi's, as a consequence I only use Taxi's when I have to, which is when I don't have buy car or motorcycle with me, or in the evenings when I know I'll be having a beer, and then I stick to Grab as much as possible - its just less irritating that way.

Edited by richard_smith237

On 12/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, Elkski said:

Guy took a shower today

I guess ALL taxi drivers take a shower every day. But after a 8 or 10 hours shift in hot Bangkok nobody smells well. They don´t sit all the time in the air conditioned car, they also have to carry heavy stuff, have a meal and so on.

• Haha 1